PDA

View Full Version : An exciting moment

paganmomblog
05-27-2010, 03:14 PM
So my kids are still in school, youngest in Pre-K and the other two in elementary. They get out June 11th which will start our transition (I will be a WAHM too, lots to adjust lol). My local secular hs group on yahoo had posted about a local theater and their school shows and I checked it out. We just signed up for one of the shows and I got all crazy excited cause it's like the first real field trip (or anything for that matter) that i have planned out and put on the calendar for homeschooling. Did any of you (that didn't start hs'ing right off the bat) feel the same when you were planning things out?

Oh and school shows are shows that compliment curriculums. The playhouse actually targets homeschoolers in addition to regular public, charter, and magnet schools.

Snoopy
05-27-2010, 06:21 PM
LOL Angela, yes, I remember the excitement (and apprehension about meeting other homeschoolers too!) of the first field trip :) Our umbrella school director organizes monthly outings to the theater and we try to go as much as possible. We love it! It's so exciting to see you so excited, lol :) Enjoy your homeschooling and good luck with the WAHM situation. :)

pandahoneybee
05-28-2010, 08:44 AM
We did the same;) We signed up for alot of the fieldtrip and made some friends! The boys loved to see that there were kids who actually had a crazy mom like theirs;)

paganmomblog
05-28-2010, 08:53 AM
LOl thank you, the hubs kinda stared at me when I told him since we aren't "official" yet. Our secualr yahoo group does weekly park days and weekly soccer so as soon as they are out we will start attending those so they can get to know other kids.

Riceball_Mommy
05-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Our first time meeting other homeschoolers was with the preschool co-op. I was so nervous and excited, and then I had that same feeling all over again for the spring party. Now I'm just looking forward to the next playground day.

hockeymom
05-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Consider yourself so fortunate to have other local homeschoolers to do stuff with. I think that's one of our biggest issues, not knowing any other homeschoolers in our tiny community, especially since homeschooling was so popular where we used to live. Have fun, and I hope you meet some wonderful people!

camaro
05-28-2010, 01:56 PM
We're a little like you, hockeymom, as the only homeschool family here, though we've gotten to know a small number of other homeschoolers further out than our community. We've been fortunate to be able to take part in a couple of hs activities that way, but it certainly took some time to make those connections.

paganmomblog
05-28-2010, 03:04 PM
It makes me sad for those who don't have as supportive of a community when it comes to homeschooling. I honestly don't think I would have made the decision to do it if I didn't have the support that is available. I am overwhelmed at times as it is, to do it alone or with limited help must be frustrating.

camaro
05-28-2010, 03:53 PM
I have to admire the patience, ingenuity and determination of those who started homeschooling in the early days, before groups and before the internet came along. Our family doesn't have a lot of personal contact with fellow homeschoolers, but the internet (and for us personally especially this site) has kind of taken a place as our support, so we don't feel too isolated.

hockeymom
05-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Yeah, David, I think homeschooling isn't generally as popular in Canada as it is in (certain parts of) the US. And in these small towns especially, you're right--it DOES take a long time to make connections. We haven't lived here long (almost 2 years) and don't plan on staying, so I guess I don't feel I have enough invested here to branch out and try to start my own group. It's too bad really, in a way, but we are definitely in a temporary situation. I'm glad you've found a few connections; it must make a huge difference even if you can't get together regularly.

Paganmomblog, it IS frustrating to not have local support, but I am so grateful that the few people I do know here are supportive and try to be understanding. One of the hardest things is the lack of social opportunities for my very social son, but that was the case even when he was in PS. Most moms here work full time so it's a juggling act for the kids to get together. I'm fortunate that we have a couple friends here who don't think we are freaks and still want the kids to get together to play. :)