PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in doing an online Flat Secular Homeschooler exchange?

Snoopy
05-27-2010, 01:34 PM
*** UPDATED 6/8/10***

If your name is on the list at the bottom of this message, I sent you 2 email messages this afternoon. The 1st one is addressed to the family who is sending you a Flat Homeschooler (I copied you on the message). The 2nd one contains your instructions for mailing your own Flat Homeschooler. Both messages might possibly have the same title so be careful! If you didn't receive your information, please PM or email me.

If your name isn't on the list but you wanted to participate, please PM or email me and I will add you to the list for the Fall 2010 Flat Homeschooler project!

*** UPDATED 6/3/10***

Due to the success of this initiative (yay!) and the fact that several of you have expressed the desire to make their own Flat "my child" Homeschooler, I'm rethinking how this should work. Here is what I'm proposing:

1) Very Important: If your name is on the list posted at the end of this message, please send me a Private message with your email address ASAP, and if you're comfortable with your personal info being on a PM, send me your mailing address as well. If not comfortable, I'll email you and you can send it to me via email.

2) Make your own Flat Homeschooler. You could just print the Flat Stanley template (http://www.flatstanley.com/template.htm)and stick an enlarge printout of your kid's picture on the head, or just print a full body picture of your child enlarged on a 8.5 x11 sheet (you can use MS Paint to do this or you can email me the photo and I'll play with it for you and email it back to you if you're not that tech savvy) and cut around it (I laminated my Flat Noah for easier manipulation and in case he gets wet or messy at the table).

3) Once I have everyone's mailing addresses, I will email you ONE mailing address for you to send your Flat Homeschooler on his/her trip.

4) When you receive a Flat Homeschooler, you can take a couple of weeks to complete your assignment (see below for ideas of what you could take pictures of) and email me back the photos and comments. Since everyone should have a Flat Homeschooler at their home at about the same time, the project shouldn't drag on for many weeks (unless we start getting dozens of participants!).

5) Once I start getting pictures and comments, I will upload them on a blog that I'm creating just for that purpose and you will be able to visit it and see what your Flat Homeschooler was up to on his/her trip as well as what all the other Flat Homeschoolers got to do. You'll be able to share this with your friends and family if you wish. I will moderate all comments. This will be a public blog (not advertised but not restricted to just members) so remember that whatever you send me (photos of where you live, names of nearby places...) will be shared on a public forum. Only share what you feel comfortable with others seeing :) There is no limit on how many photos you want to send back so fire away but please include comments with each photo (clearly identify which photo goes with each comment) so we keep the educational aspect of the project as well. If you can only send a few photos because it's your slow month, that's fine too :) It's not a competition.

6) I think each family should keep the Flat Homeschooler that they have received as a souvenir of the project. Maybe the children of the family will want to start being penpals with the IRL Homeschooler!

7) FYI, it cost me only 44 cents to mail my Flat Noah this afternoon and I mailed him in a 8x5 envelope.

8) If you are still confused, please PM me!

9) Now would be a good time to PM me your email address so I can get this thing off the ground.

Thanks to everyone for your enthusiasm.

Nathalie

~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~~*~**~

Hi all,

A few years back I was the recipient of a Flat Stanley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Stanley)cut-out and my kids and I had a great time taking photos with Flat Stanley and sharing some adventures with the sender. Noah and I did a "Flat Noah" with family members in Kindergarten and I created a Powerpoint slideshow for him with the photos and stories everyone sent.

I was thinking that maybe we could do something similar ONLINE this time. (see above for instructions)

You could show him/her interacting with your kid(s) during their learning time, on a field trip, at a homeschool function, at a sports event, or just relaxing!

Anyone interested? It only works if you keep the project going though so you have to be sure to commit to sending it on within a week after receiving it.

Post here if you want to sign up and I'll PM you. Don't post your personal info here!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
ADDENDUM:
LIST OF PARTICIPANTS (IN ORDER OF PARTICIPATION)
1) Nathalie (Snoopy)
2) Nani (amphibology29)
3) Riceball_mommy
4) Holly (hjdong)
5) Melyssa
6) Ginny (ginnyjf)
7) Michelle (pandahoneybee)
8) Sara (Sabare0704)
9) Leav97
10) Sommer (Crazymama)
11) lilgrnfroggie
12) Carla (bellanina)

Shoe
05-27-2010, 01:46 PM
It sounds like it could be fun, but I don't think we have the time to commit to it right now, especially with all those postcards we've agreed to send out :D . Good luck with it.

amphibology29
05-27-2010, 02:02 PM
I'd be interested in that!

Snoopy
05-27-2010, 02:34 PM
I'd be interested in that! Cool Nani :) Let me see how many other folks might want to do it and I'll PM you then :)

Riceball_Mommy
05-27-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm definitely interested in this.

hjdong
05-27-2010, 05:59 PM
The last time I was responsible for a Flat Stanley, I took him to China. All I can say is, the gift shop was dark. I ended up with a post card of pandas mating. That went to a friend and the kid got a postcard from the hotel.

If you're willing to take your chances . . .

Melyssa
05-27-2010, 09:14 PM
I'd be up for that. We joined a Flat Stanley group years back and my daughter was excited, we went out about four of them...never got any of them back. She was so disappointed. We had fun hosting the ones we had though. We also hosted a teddy bear once.

ginnyjf
05-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Sounds like a fun summer project!

Snoopy
05-27-2010, 11:42 PM
The last time I was responsible for a Flat Stanley, I took him to China. All I can say is, the gift shop was dark. I ended up with a post card of pandas mating. That went to a friend and the kid got a postcard from the hotel.

If you're willing to take your chances . . . ROFLMAO! That would be... and interesting way to continue our introduction to life's little mysteries with Noah! This past 2 weeks have been lovebug (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug) season here in Florida and Noah's been exclaiming about the little bugs "stuck on each other" so I've had to kind of explain. I got a disgusted look from him so I guess he understood my explanation :) I'll take my chances with you Holly, I trust you!

Snoopy
05-27-2010, 11:45 PM
OK cool! I'm excited about it! I've added the list of participants to the end of the original post in the thread. If you'll PM me your email addresses, I'll email you when it gets time to start, that way private info doesn't get posted here.

pandahoneybee
05-28-2010, 08:08 AM
HI Nathalie!

We would be interested;)

Riceball_Mommy
05-28-2010, 09:31 AM
ROFLMAO! That would be... and interesting way to continue our introduction to life's little mysteries with Noah! This past 2 weeks have been lovebug (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug) season here in Florida and Noah's been exclaiming about the little bugs "stuck on each other" so I've had to kind of explain. I got a disgusted look from him so I guess he understood my explanation :) I'll take my chances with you Holly, I trust you!

We saw those bugs when we were on vacation, my daughter just thought it was one bug with two heads. It was my first time seeing them though, I wasn't sure what was going on. But I figured that might be it. We just moved away from them since she was freaked out plenty and didn't really want an explanation.

Snoopy
05-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Hi guys, I'm still planning on doing this but I've been sick all weekend and not in any shape to get this started. I'll give you a heads-up when I do. Thanks so much to all who said they were interested in participating!

pandahoneybee
05-31-2010, 07:47 PM
Hope that you feel better soon, girl! Take it easy Stanley can wait;)

StartingOver
05-31-2010, 08:54 PM
Get well soon !

Sarbare0704
06-02-2010, 05:04 PM
We would love to join in if its not to late!

leav97
06-02-2010, 05:57 PM
We'd love to participate.

Snoopy
06-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Sara and Leav97, I have added you to the list, thanks for the interest :)

Snoopy
06-02-2010, 10:22 PM
OK me again! If your name is on the list already (see original post in the thread, it's been updated), please PM me your email address so I can contact you off-list about getting your mailing address. I'll give you my email address as well. Clear as mud?

amphibology29
06-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Oops, never mind... just got your email and replied, Nathalie!

crazymama
06-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Oh we would love to participate! I am a little confused as to how it's working, but maybe I just need to reread the first post ;)

lilgrnfroggie
06-03-2010, 09:42 AM
We'd love to participate, if it's not too late. :)

Bellanina
06-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Add us to the list too please! Flat Stanley can come see us after monsoon season ends...if it ever does ;) Just had another episode of rain overnight and this morning, and now it's sunny skies and humidity. Blech!

I"ll PM you our addresses, etc.

Snoopy
06-03-2010, 03:18 PM
OK everyone, I have updated the rules so please go back to the original post in this thread and read the update. Thanks so much!!!!

Snoopy
06-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Hi all, I have started the blog (http://flatsecularhomeschoolers.blogspot.com/) where you'll be able to read all about our Flat Secular Homeschoolers' adventures. I'm going to send a private message to the last couple of people from whom I haven't heard and then I'll email you all the address where you should send yours :) Hopefully this will happen in the next couple of days?

Riceball_Mommy
06-06-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm following the blog and I'm happy you posted a photo of flat Noah, I was bit worried on how to make our flat homeschooler. Also I tried to take some photos of her yesterday and she's just not big on standing still.

Snoopy
06-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Hi all,

Well, I'm ready to start emailing you the info for you all to mail your Flat Homeschooler character to one family. Leav97, I'm sorry but I never heard back from you so I'm taking you off the list for this round and maybe you can join the next round if we have another one in the Fall or Winter.

I will be sending individual emails a little bit later on. If you have any questions about anything, feel free to email me!

crazymama
06-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Yay.. we read the book this morning and they made their flat Rylee and Reagan people this afternoon.... they are dying to send him out and asked if we could send a sandwhich with them so they don't get hungry like Stanley's parents did..lol. I wanted to give them their real faces, but they didn't want to do that.. we made paperdolls instead.

Bellanina
06-09-2010, 11:12 PM
We made Flat Mitchell tonight and he'll be on his way in the morning. Mitchell also wanted to include a snack, an apple perhaps, so he didn't get hungry during his postal travels. I explained the size of the envelope versus the size of an apple, and we agreed it wasn't a great idea. LOL

We didn't read the story, I forgot all about it! Maybe when we get our Flat Homeschooler, we'll read all about Flat Stanley's adventures and then start our own.

Nathalie: I sent you an email about this as well, feel free to post what you wish to the blog. ;)

Snoopy
06-10-2010, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the update Carla! I'm glad you mentioned the email because it had been sent to my SPAM folder by Yahoo and I might have missed it. I've just updated the blog.

Alright, I'm thinking that the kids might not want to wait too long to see their pictures up on the website (and to read about what THEIR Flat Homeschooler has been doing), so I will do the following:
Instead of doing 1 post per Flat Homeschooler with ALL that Flat Homeschooler's adventures in it, I will post the messages as they come in and I will tag each message with the name of the Flat Homeschooler so if you ever want to look at only the posts that pertain to YOUR homeschooler (like when your kid wants to read all about it all over again), you can click on their tag and it will bring up only those posts. That'll make more sense once we have more posts but I think you're all pretty familiar with blogs and how they work anyway.

Nani, I'm going to work on publishing the info you sent me so far right now :)

crazymama
06-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Ours sadly won't be hitting the mail until tomarrow.. I could have sworn I still had some laminating things for my laminator.. but after 2 days of hunting I can't find them...grrrr Off to Walmart for me tonight!

Snoopy
06-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Ours sadly won't be hitting the mail until tomarrow.. I could have sworn I still had some laminating things for my laminator.. but after 2 days of hunting I can't find them...grrrr Off to Walmart for me tonight! Just a note for everyone that laminating it is NOT a requirement although I do think that it'll last longer if it is, but don't kill yourselves getting them laminated if you don't have access to a laminator. Or you can use clear contact paper on it if you have that. Sommer, if you'll send me a photo of your kids with their Flat Homeschoolers, I'll post an update on the blog with it :)

Snoopy
06-10-2010, 09:18 AM
I just realized that no one was able to post any comments on the blog but I just fixed that if anyone wants to leave a message. All comments will be moderated and I'll be gone for a few hours so you might not see yours posted until tonight :)

Riceball_Mommy
06-10-2010, 09:46 AM
On a note with the lamination, my grandfather picked up some self stick laminating paper at Staples, and I don't recommend it. It's not forgiving at all, and it wrinkles real easy.

amphibology29
06-10-2010, 10:23 AM
I mailed ours yesterday to Riceball_Mommy, so it should get there tomorrow or Saturday!

Riceball_Mommy
06-10-2010, 10:24 AM
And I'm about to run out and put ours in the mail box right now.

Melyssa
06-10-2010, 02:26 PM
I won't have ours ready for another day or two either. I had to buy laminate sheets yesterday and now I have to get our printer set up so I can print a photo. The office is all torn apart right now as we got new furniture so it's a literal disaster. LOL

crazymama
06-10-2010, 06:36 PM
I'll send a pic as soon as it's laminated.. I have a feeling they would tear themselves apart if I told them to pose with them..lol Not sure I'm hitting Walmart tonight.. things aren't running as smoothly here as I hoped tonight..lol.

hjdong
06-10-2010, 10:51 PM
I'll be mailing ours tomorrow. Just to let our send-ee know, James and I are going to visit my mom, so if it doesn't come tomorrow, it will sit unopened for a week or so. I just didn't want anyone to think they were being ignored.

pandahoneybee
06-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Ok got ours in the mail FINALLY! to Sabare0704;) Flat Anthony isn't alone, his friend might have to be taken out for a long walk when he arrives;) We laminated ours too Anthony didn't want anything to ruin the colors;) And we had to make dad a set as well very cute! Thanks Snoopy for planning this;)

Riceball_Mommy
06-11-2010, 05:32 PM
We just got Flat Nikko in the mail and Talena is already sharing her some cookies and milk with him.

amphibology29
06-11-2010, 08:09 PM
We just got Flat Nikko in the mail and Talena is already sharing her some cookies and milk with him.

Regular Nikko will be glad to hear that. He got sent to bed without dessert tonight! :rolleyes:

Snoopy
06-11-2010, 09:48 PM
I'll be mailing ours tomorrow. Just to let our send-ee know, James and I are going to visit my mom, so if it doesn't come tomorrow, it will sit unopened for a week or so. I just didn't want anyone to think they were being ignored.
Holly did you get yours out today? Are you naming it Flat James? I just wanted to update the blog with the accurate info :) Thanks and have a great trip and visit with your mom. I'll be very jealous if you go to that Roman exhibit but make sure to take lots of photos if you go!

crazymama
06-14-2010, 08:02 AM
Hi guys.. life went haywire on us over the weekend.. well it started Friday and hopefully ended last night, but I wanted to let Miss Lucy know that Flat Lucy and her best pal Buddy arrived here safe and sound on Saturday. We are gonna run them through our laminator today (along with Flat Rylee and Reagan so we can finally get them in the mail) so that we don't damage them (we may be near lots of water ;) ) and will send Miss Nathalie some pictures this afternoon.

By the way Miss Lucy.. we would love to know about Buddy!! Oh and I hope you like sand and water because we will be going to the beach next week!! We will also be camping in NJ for a whole week! We hope you don't mind bugs!

Snoopy
06-14-2010, 09:21 AM
will send Miss Nathalie some pictures this afternoon. I'm having so much fun with this.. can't wait to see the pictures! And we're waiting for Flat Mitchell very impatiently, lol.

pandahoneybee
06-14-2010, 10:56 AM
yes we are waiting too, cant wait to get our flat Zach;)

Flat Anthony went out with his friend and Anthony can't stop wondering where he is in the mail;) even cute. We made an extra set for him to play with, he wants a flat alex , mom and dad too!

pandahoneybee
06-15-2010, 10:22 AM
OMG Anthony loved seeing his flat self and flat Dino with Lucy! we used to live in Champaign IL for 1 1/2 and so we did the get directions and Anthony saw how we would go past it on the way up to Lucy! She is such a cutie, glad she liked him!

Snoopy
06-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Hey, got your message on my profile about this Flat Homeschooler project. I'm posting here to help you increase your post count to at least 5 so you can start sending Private Messages, lol!

We'd love to have you join us! If you want to start now, I actually have someone else who wanted to do it and missed the start date so I could hook you up right now. Otherwise, I'm planning on starting a new one in the Fall (I was thinking about doing one every season if there is interest) so I could just keep your info on file until then and recontact you then.

Let me know what you're thinking. Read through this thread for more details about the program. Don't post any private info here as it is a public thread on a public forum though. Once you have your 5 posts, you'll be email to PM me your email address and I'll contact you that way.

Yes, everyone gets a Flat Homeschooler from another family (either a fictional character or a personalized one) and documents that Flat Homeschooler's stay with your family by emailing me pictures (as many or as little as you want, but many are a lot of FUN!) and stories about what happened. Ideally, it'd be great to picture Flat Homeschoolers in a variety of educational situations, since it's also a great way of sharing what it's like to homeschool in various parts of the world. Lots of pressure, right? lol.

I will post all pictures and stories on a blog so you can see what happens to your Flat Homeschooler as well. I've already started the blog for this round. You can check it out here (http://flatsecularhomeschoolers.blogspot.com/).

I hope you join us! If anyone wants to join in too, just PM me.

wild_destiny
06-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Thank you, Nathalie (I love your name, btw!). I had not realized these were already well into the works, so if you want to keep us on file for the fall session that will be just fine with me. Give me some time to see what kind of things people do with this. (Actually, it will give me more time to be more exciting.) :) I can't wait to see the results that you will have soon. Looks really cool, everyone!

BPier12
06-16-2010, 09:10 AM
I just took a look at the blog and it looks like this project is a blast. DS is a bit too old for this now, unfortunately. I'm impressed with what you all have done so far and I'm looking forward to reading more about all the Flat Homeschoolers' travels. Congrats, Nathalie for organizing it so well! :)

Snoopy
06-16-2010, 10:15 AM
I just took a look at the blog and it looks like this project is a blast. DS is a bit too old for this now, unfortunately. I'm impressed with what you all have done so far and I'm looking forward to reading more about all the Flat Homeschoolers' travels. Congrats, Nathalie for organizing it so well! :) Thanks for your kind words! It's a fun project and getting all the photos and stories is really what makes it what it is, I think. When it's our turn to share Flat Mitchell's experience with us my problem is going to be limiting how many pictures to post! And Noah tends to go crazy with the little Flip camera too so Flat Mitchell might find himself in the middle of some epic battles with paper soldiers!

Snoopy
06-16-2010, 02:00 PM
David... still no Flat Mitchell in our mail :( Noah came with me to the mailbox and I even had my camera at the ready and he wasn't there... maybe he got stuck in traffic somewhere.

pandahoneybee
06-16-2010, 06:23 PM
No Flat Zack today either;( Anthony was ready to take him around the pond out back and meet the geese! maybe tomorrow;)

Melyssa
06-16-2010, 10:37 PM
We received ours from Holly Dong! And today Brenna sent out her Flat Link (from Legend of Zelda, an obsession for her) to Zack.

firefly
06-16-2010, 10:47 PM
OK, you guys are going to think I'm stupid. But when I first read this post a few days ago I thought it was about a "Flat Exchange". You know, "flat" meaning "dwelling". And I thought "Oh, how cool. Yeah, I might be up for that!" (After a few hundred background checks.)

But now I'm up to speed! ;)

camaro
06-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Yeah, gotta love the postal system, Nathalie. I've had stuff take a week to go a distance I could drive in two hours. Then stuff I think will take a week will take just a couple of days. I sometimes picture a guy sitting in a lawn chair with a pile of mail in his lap throwing stuff at the door of the mail truck frisbee style. If it makes it through the door it goes, if it misses...better luck tomorrow! Hopefully Flat Mitchell arrives soon because we're just as excited to watch his adventures unfold, too!

Riceball_Mommy
06-16-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm still waiting to find out if Flat Talena made it. Of course she had a pretty good distance to travel so I figure that might be why it's taking a while.

Snoopy
06-16-2010, 11:06 PM
We received ours from Holly Dong! And today Brenna sent out her Flat Link (from Legend of Zelda, an obsession for her) to Zack. Is it a Flat James then? Just trying to figure out what to call it on the blog. I'll call him Flat James until you correct me if needed..

Snoopy
06-16-2010, 11:15 PM
I'm still waiting to find out if Flat Talena made it. Of course she had a pretty good distance to travel so I figure that might be why it's taking a while. Jess, Holly mentioned that she and James were leaving last Saturday, I think, to go spend a week with her mom near Philadelphia so that if Talena didn't make it to her by Friday, they wouldn't be able to take her on vacation with them. So she's either waiting in their CA mailbox, or in Philadelphia enjoying the sites (and that cool Roman exhibit!) but you won't hear from Holly until next week because I think she said she's be off the computer the whole time.

Snoopy
06-16-2010, 11:16 PM
Yeah, gotta love the postal system, Nathalie. I've had stuff take a week to go a distance I could drive in two hours. Then stuff I think will take a week will take just a couple of days. I sometimes picture a guy sitting in a lawn chair with a pile of mail in his lap throwing stuff at the door of the mail truck frisbee style. If it makes it through the door it goes, if it misses...better luck tomorrow! Hopefully Flat Mitchell arrives soon because we're just as excited to watch his adventures unfold, too!
So I won't be home to check the mail until the evening tomorrow, in case Mitchell keeps on asking you if we've gotten it, OK? lol.

Snoopy
06-16-2010, 11:18 PM
OK, you guys are going to think I'm stupid. But when I first read this post a few days ago I thought it was about a "Flat Exchange". You know, "flat" meaning "dwelling". And I thought "Oh, how cool. Yeah, I might be up for that!" (After a few hundred background checks.) But now I'm up to speed! ;) Roflmao, my husband heard me chuckle and asked what was so funny so I read him your post and we were both laughing :) I'm glad you realize your mistake before you showed up on someone's doorstep with your suitcases in hand!!! lol.

Riceball_Mommy
06-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Jess, Holly mentioned that she and James were leaving last Saturday, I think, to go spend a week with her mom near Philadelphia so that if Talena didn't make it to her by Friday, they wouldn't be able to take her on vacation with them. So she's either waiting in their CA mailbox, or in Philadelphia enjoying the sites (and that cool Roman exhibit!) but you won't hear from Holly until next week because I think she said she's be off the computer the whole time.

Oh good, I missed that, thanks. I was a bit worried and either way it's good to know.

crazymama
06-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Finally had a chance to send an email this morning with some pics for you to post Nathalie, next time probably won't be until next Sunday.. but Flat Lucy and her pal Buddy will be having a great time camping, eating smores and going to the beach!

pandahoneybee
06-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Finally had a chance to send an email this morning with some pics for you to post Nathalie, next time probably won't be until next Sunday.. but Flat Lucy and her pal Buddy will be having a great time camping, eating smores and going to the beach!
awe i want to come;) ummmmm SMORES;)

Sarbare0704
06-18-2010, 11:27 AM

Woo hoo! We have been hoping to hear about Flat Lucy! Have fun camping!

Snoopy
06-18-2010, 09:42 PM
David, tell Mitchell that Flat Mitchell arrived today and I just posted a blog post about his arrival :)

Erin and Sommer, I'll be posting your updates shortly ;)

camaro
06-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Great, thanks for letting us know Nathalie. We'll go have a look! :)

hjdong
06-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Oh good, I missed that, thanks. I was a bit worried and either way it's good to know.
Yes, we just got home, we took our first picture yesterday. I'll make sure to get it e-mailed today.

Snoopy
06-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Hi guys, I don't use Firefox, I use IE, so I never realized that Firefox users were having some issues with the blog. Topsy alerted me yesterday that the sidebar was placed awkwardly and I just realized that the blog didn't look great because the pictures were too "see-through". I changed the settings so that it looks much better in Firefox now (I'm amazing myself because I don't really know anything about HTML but I figured it out!).

So let me know if you have any issues but at least IE and Firefox users should be OK :)

Snoopy
06-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Hey, Jess, I just posted Flat Talena's first update from Holly...

camaro
06-20-2010, 04:50 PM
As the thunder rolls here (and yet more rain on the way) I thought I'd mention that Mitchell and his brothers just got finished reading about Flat Mitchell's adventures and he had as much fun reading it as Flat Mitchell did having living the adventures! This is such a cool project you're doing a great job with the blog! Anyway, yes, Mitchell loves cats and we have several on the farm, two of which have new kittens and another has them on the way. We'll have to make sure Flat Evie and Flat Alex play with the new kittens.

BTW, I'm so surprised at how dry you are there as I always sort of thought Florida being so close to water would get plenty of rain. I guess I'm yet again learning something new! :)

Snoopy
06-20-2010, 05:04 PM
BTW, I'm so surprised at how dry you are there as I always sort of thought Florida being so close to water would get plenty of rain. I guess I'm yet again learning something new! :) I'm glad you are all enjoying the blog. It's so much fun for us too!

It's funny how you talk about it being so dry because Greg and I were avidly taking in all the GREEN pictures that everyone else has been sending, lol. We actually just had a big downpour. We usually have thunderstorms every afternoon in the summertime, but here at least, we haven't had any significant rain in many weeks. Of course, hurricane season just started on June 1 so I might be eating my words soon :)

wild_destiny
06-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Nathalie,
Are these adventures (the flat schooler adventures) posted for any of us to read, or are these only available to those who are participating in the project at this time? I keep looking for them, and don't know where to find them. Either way, it sounds really cool and like everyone involved is having a great time and making some awesome pictures. :)

Snoopy
06-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Nathalie,
Are these adventures (the flat schooler adventures) posted for any of us to read, or are these only available to those who are participating in the project at this time? I keep looking for them, and don't know where to find them. Either way, it sounds really cool and like everyone involved is having a great time and making some awesome pictures. :)

Oh sorry, Wild_Destiny, I posted a link to the blog in a post on this thread but I guess it's easy to miss it. Topsy has it on the Home Page as well, but it's http://flatsecularhomeschoolers.blogspot.com/
Anyone can view the blog. Comments are moderated :)

Riceball_Mommy
06-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Yes, we just got home, we took our first picture yesterday. I'll make sure to get it e-mailed today.

Thanks for the update Holly. I'm happy she actually made it (we just had a problem with an ebay order that got lost in the mail). Talena was very excited when she saw her flat self in your photo.

Keren
06-23-2010, 04:00 AM
Hi Everyone, What a wonderful idea.

We would love to be involved in this if it goes ahead again at some stage. We would be willing to have a few 'Flat students' visit with us over time and would love for our two Flat children to tour other places too!

We live in Tasmania, Australia...

Keren

Snoopy
06-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Hi Everyone, What a wonderful idea.

We would love to be involved in this if it goes ahead again at some stage. We would be willing to have a few 'Flat students' visit with us over time and would love for our two Flat children to tour other places too!

We live in Tasmania, Australia...

Keren Hi Keren, Welcome to the group! We'd love to have you join us for the next round! Not sure yet when it'll be, probably in a couple of months. I'll post a new thread when we start it. In the meantime, please post an intro on the Intros and Welcome forum so we can get to know you :)

hjdong
06-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the update Holly. I'm happy she actually made it (we just had a problem with an ebay order that got lost in the mail). Talena was very excited when she saw her flat self in your photo.

So glad, I actually have another update to make today. I've promised myself I will :-) . I hate the picture to computer process!

Sarbare0704
06-23-2010, 11:01 AM
So glad, I actually have another update to make today. I've promised myself I will :-) . I hate the picture to computer process!

Ugh me too! I need to send the last of Flat Anthonys adventures but loading the pics to the computer is so daunting LOL Why cant that be wireless?

Snoopy
06-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Ugh me too! I need to send the last of Flat Anthonys adventures but loading the pics to the computer is so daunting LOL Why cant that be wireless? LOL, I was wondering that too a couple of days ago, Sara!

I use my laptop to work on the blog because I can be on the couch, where it's comfy. But my laptop won't recognize my camera (piece of ^&**& Vista!) so I have to fire up my desktop (XP), which has a lot of issues on its own and takes several boot-ups for it to find it own modem so it can connect to our network. Then I need to fire up the Kodak Easyshare software, which takes forever because it loads up the more than 11,000 photos I have in there. Then it's time to hook up my camera... takes a while to download the photos since I have only regular USB, not USB 2.0. Then I have to put a title and tag on each photo so I don't forget.. at this point it's probably already been 30 min and I still haven't started on my blog post. Finally, when that's done, I go back to my laptop and then try to find my desktop drive over the network (sometimes it takes a minute) and then upload the photos into Blogger.

So I LOVE it when you guys email me your photos because I can just save them to the laptop and not go through all the other crap:) This is all Vista's fault because if it recognized my camera, I wouldn't have to do all of this. I sense an upgrade to Windows 7 in the near future... lol.

Melyssa
06-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Ok, I've had pictures piling up of our flat visitor and then wondered...does the recipient want to receive the original file sizes for printing purposes? I am going to edit and resize them for posting on the blog but I know for me I would love the originals so I can make quality prints of them. Or is no one caring about that? Just wondering!

pandahoneybee
06-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Hi Melyssa;)
I just wanted to let you know that Snoopy is on vacation and I am sure that she will respomd to your post when she gets back;)

Snoopy
06-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Thanks Michelle :) I'm back from vacation now! Melyssa, to answer part of your question, no need to resize the pictures for the blog, you can send them to me "as is" and Blogger will resize as necessary.

Holly, do you want original photos emailed to you by Melyssa for scrapbooking purposes? If so, please PM Melyssa with your email address.

Ginny, Melyssa would love the original photos, would you mind if I forwarded your emails to her? Or you could email her yourself...

Thanks, everyone.

pandahoneybee
06-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Flat Zach has arrived! we will have some pics to Snoopy soon!

crazymama
07-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Just wanted to check in :) I looked quick at the blog last night and hope to have time tomarrow to get the kids here at the computer to look too.

Our vacation was nice and Flat Lucy had a great time. I have some pics to upload, but my camera and poor little Flat Lucy are trapped in my truck, which went up on jack stands the second we got home, and I'm afraid to get in there for fear of knocking it down! Rumor has it, all the repairs (we lost our brakes, blew 2 brake lines and the rear brake cylinders on our way home.. eek!) should be done tonight, and they should be able to be rescued tonight so that we can show her more fun and also get the pictures uploaded... which I too loath ;)

hjdong
07-02-2010, 11:08 PM
I have my sister and family visiting, so while I have another Flat Talena update to dowload and send, I don't know when I'll have time to get to it. Hopefully, I will get a decent amount of time at some point to take care of it. Today, it was grocery shopping and bills . . . which didn't get done. Amazing how free time can get eaten up with guests.

ginnyjf
07-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Ugh, I am such a bad Secular Homeschool Forum reader! I'm just now checking this thread even though I've been following the blog closely! Great work, Snoopy! Zack is enjoying the adventures very much! Of course you can send the photos to Melyssa, or I can do it if it's easier; whichever one is more convenient.

camaro
07-04-2010, 05:17 PM
I thought I should update that we're still eagerly awaiting the arrival of Flat Evie and Flat Alex. We plan to keep them very busy! We're planning on going camping in a week and would love to take them with us. :)

camaro
07-07-2010, 10:16 PM
They arrived! Flat Alex and Flat Evie are here! We're all so excited to have them visiting us! I'm going to try to upload our first round of pictures to Nathalie tonight. :)

pandahoneybee
07-11-2010, 04:54 PM
ok I have to let Flat Zach know that I did get some pics when he got here and then he went to the boys swim meet BUT I haven't been able to download them yet. why you ask well someone took off with the usb cord for the camera and I can't find it anywhere. No worries we are off school this week which means its cleaning time so I am sure it will show up soon:) just didn't want you to think that I forgot!

ChaoticHomeschool
08-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Is it too late to join in? My boys would get a kick out this especially since it will be a good 3 years before we go back to the states.