PDA

View Full Version : The pressure is off...maybe my head won't explode.

Shoe
05-27-2010, 12:55 PM
So, I tend to be a fairly anxious person when it comes to evaluations, and NH requires an evaluation of homeschooled students, which I take as a reflection on my teaching as much as my son's progress. Because I'm a masochist, I decided to do both standardized testing and a portfolio , even though state law only requires one or the other. And, of course, I scheduled both of these this month, so I raised my stress level to "Thar she blows!" critical (what was I thinking?!?).

Anyway, we got the results of his standardized testing yesterday and my son is "high" performing in language and reading and "average" in math (with which I am very pleased, since this is up from "significantly below proficient" a year and a half ago in the public school system!), and the portfolio evaluation went much more smoothly than I had expected! In fact, the evaluator only had good things to say about Matt and (at my request) offered some helpful suggestions for next year.

I'm so relieved. I don't think my head will explode after all :cool:. Just wanted to share.

mjzzyzoff
05-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Congrats! (Especially on the math!)

And nice that you got some tips. Who did the evaluating?

Shoe
05-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Congrats! (Especially on the math!)

And nice that you got some tips. Who did the evaluating?

Thanks. Math has always been a struggle for him and we spent a lot of time and effort on it this year, so it was nice to se some real improvement.

NH requires that a certified teacher act as the evaluator. I found a certified teacher who had also homeschooled all of her kids all the way through high school over a more than 20 year period, so she knows about homeschooling and was very helpful.

Snoopy
05-27-2010, 01:38 PM
That's so awesome! Isn't his great improvement in math a great validation of your homeschooling?! So you both deserve a hip, hip, hooray!

schwartzkari
05-27-2010, 02:42 PM
That is really good news :) Keep up the good work!

Riceball_Mommy
05-27-2010, 03:13 PM
That is great news! Congrats :)

hockeymom
05-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Congratulations to you and your son! You must feel so relieved! What an awesome "validation"!

leav97
05-27-2010, 04:27 PM
That is incredible improvement in math. Congrats!

BPier12
05-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Congratulations to you both!! That is wonderful news. What a great endorsement of the teaching you have done this year!

reversemigration
05-27-2010, 05:25 PM
That's wonderful, Shoe - your hard work and patience paid off handsomely. See, we told you not to worry!

Was Matt psyched to see his improvement, too?

hjdong
05-27-2010, 05:53 PM
That's great! Lack of heads exploding is always good.

Busygoddess
05-27-2010, 08:47 PM
What fantastic news! Congrats to you both!

camaro
05-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Glad to hear your head won't explode, Shoe! I hear those are really hard to get back together the right way.

Congratulations to both you and Matt!

Shoe
05-28-2010, 02:31 AM
Thank you all. I'm not sure why I was so worried...except that I've always had huge test anxiety, even when I've been well prepared for it...and although I felt Matt was doing well, it is nice to see that externally validated.

Ben-Matt didn't seem too concerned with the whole process at all. He wasn't anxious about either the standardized test or the portfolio evaluation. He hasn't said much about his improvement in math, but I have certainly let him know that I am very pleased with his progress. He's pretty cool about it all (but he does like home education, :)).

Holly and David-yes, it's good to have an intact head. I wasn't sure it would be though-it often felt in the past few weeks like it was about to blow.

Wilma
05-28-2010, 07:12 AM
That is wonderful! I would consider your first year a resounding success!

pandahoneybee
05-28-2010, 08:06 AM
So, I tend to be a fairly anxious person when it comes to evaluations, and NH requires an evaluation of homeschooled students, which I take as a reflection on my teaching as much as my son's progress. Because I'm a masochist, I decided to do both standardized testing and a portfolio , even though state law only requires one or the other. And, of course, I scheduled both of these this month, so I raised my stress level to "Thar she blows!" critical (what was I thinking?!?).

Anyway, we got the results of his standardized testing yesterday and my son is "high" performing in language and reading and "average" in math (with which I am very pleased, since this is up from "significantly below proficient" a year and a half ago in the public school system!), and the portfolio evaluation went much more smoothly than I had expected! In fact, the evaluator only had good things to say about Matt and (at my request) offered some helpful suggestions for next year.

I'm so relieved. I don't think my head will explode after all :cool:. Just wanted to share.

Nice Job Shoe! you deserve a pat on the back for sure, but after getting to know ya I didn't have any doubts;)and glad to hear head is still intact!

Alex did average or just below on everything this year(but over all he has still improved alot since 5th grade EOG scores) but he did do 10th grade 2 month on his math word problems! (which were 4th grade level when we took him out of the public school system) so I am celebrating small victories;)

Great job again and now stop stressing! YOU ARE A WONDERFUL DAD AND TEACHER!

Shoe
05-28-2010, 09:35 AM
That is wonderful! I would consider your first year a resounding success!Thanks, Ann. So would I.

Alex did average or just below on everything this year(but over all he has still improved alot since 5th grade EOG scores) but he did do 10th grade 2 month on his math word problems! (which were 4th grade level when we took him out of the public school system) so I am celebrating small victories;)

Great job again and now stop stressing! YOU ARE A WONDERFUL DAD AND TEACHER!Thanks Michelle. "Small victories" are worth celebrating. And yes, I'll stop stressing...until this time next year ;)

YOU ARE A WONDERFUL DAD AND TEACHER!Very nice of you to say, thank you.

Snoopy
05-28-2010, 09:43 AM
MIchelle, that's wonderful to hear Alex's progress in math!! Congrats to you both too!

pandahoneybee
05-28-2010, 10:59 AM
MIchelle, that's wonderful to hear Alex's progress in math!! Congrats to you both too!

Thanks;) he was as proud as I was! small steps right? NOW we have to get the spelling up! been trying everything, it is painful!

pandahoneybee
05-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Well I can tell that you are just by the things that you say up here! and I am with you I stress very year too! maybe next year I will just drink;) lol ok maybe not!

LJean
05-28-2010, 11:16 AM
How nice for the both of you!