PDA

View Full Version : Hello. Hola. Ni hau. God dag. Aloha.

Makita
05-27-2010, 12:40 PM
I just recently discovered this forum via another homeschool mom's blog. I am excited to be here and to get to know everyone.

I have 2 children who I refer to online as Sweetie (age 7) and Buddy (5). We live in Oregon and are in the midst of our 3rd year homeschooling. We use a classically eclectic style and we love to travel & learn languages. My daughter has been studying Mandarin Chinese for 2 years and both kids study Taekwondo. Sweetie is a red belt and Buddy is a yellow belt.

:)
Eva

Topsy
05-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Welcome Eva...glad you found your way here!! We have a good many Oregon-planted members here. ;) You can find some of them over at the OR group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=39). Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself and your family. I look forward to seeing you around the site!!

Topsy

Green Vixen
05-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Welcome Eva!

I just found this forum as well and love it, everyone has been very welcoming and knowledgeable! That is great your daughter is learning Mandarin, what program are you using? Do you have a native speaker in your home? My kids are a bit younger than yours but I would love to expose them to different languages but don't really know where to start. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Marisa

pandahoneybee
05-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Welcome and Glad you found this site, you will not be disappointed by the amount of info and support that everyone gives up here;) We used to live in Bend OR about 7 years ago, it is so beautiful out there!

Riceball_Mommy
05-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Welcome Eva, I'm also interested to know which program you are using for Mandarin. I've actually been thinking of try to find a program for both my daughter and I to use.

Snoopy
05-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Welcome Eva! Are you Dutch? Just wondering about the "God dag" in your title :) There are a few people from OR here so hopefully you can find some local to you too :)

Shoe
05-28-2010, 02:19 AM
I have 2 children who I refer to online as Sweetie (age 7) and Buddy (5)... both kids study Taekwondo. Sweetie is a red belt and Buddy is a yellow belt.

:)
EvaWelcome Eva. It's funny...I call my kids Sweetie and Buddy too, but those are their nicknames in real life, not on line...and they both (well, actually, the whole family) studies Tae Kwon Do (though we've been taking a bit of a break recently.

reversemigration
05-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Welcome, Eva - aloha to you, too.

It sounds like you're having an exciting time of it so far. I hope you'll share some of your experiences with us!

Makita
05-31-2010, 02:57 PM
Welcome Eva! Are you Dutch? Just wondering about the "God dag" in your title :)

Norwegian, actually. :)

Makita
05-31-2010, 02:59 PM
Welcome Eva, I'm also interested to know which program you are using for Mandarin. I've actually been thinking of try to find a program for both my daughter and I to use.

We use Better Chinese and also meet with a native speaker for one-on-one instruction 1x week. I created a Squidoo Lens outlining how we use Better Chinese. http://www.squidoo.com/better-chinese

Makita
05-31-2010, 03:00 PM
@schu00 ~ I'm transitioning to barefoot running as well! Love VFF :) We use the nicknames in real life too.

Shoe
06-01-2010, 12:02 PM
@schu00 ~ I'm transitioning to barefoot running as well! Love VFF :) I love VFF. Did you have trouble initially with calf pain from the emphasis on different muscles? The first time I went for a long run in them, I could barely walk for a few days, though once I got used to them, they were wonderful.

Firefly_Mom
06-02-2010, 01:52 AM
Hi Eva!! Glad to see you on here :)