PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had trouble getting back into high"school" after homeschooling?

holycrap
01-26-2012, 03:31 PM
I have been homeschooling for a few years now, and my now freshman son is thinking about going to "real" school when we move back to the states.
I have read that it can be difficult to find public schools that will except homeschool curriculum.
Has anyone out there had to deal with this?
BTW we are headed to the DC area if that makes a difference.
Thanks for any input.

inmom
01-26-2012, 03:59 PM
If you are going into public schools and you are indeed a resident there, they must accept him.

Accepting any credit he may have already earned at the high school level is a different story. You will probably need to sit down with either a principal or guidance counselor to determine what he's already earned. Be prepared to have some sort of transcript ready, as it is something the school staff would be familiar with.

dbmamaz
01-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Yeah, i've heard that here in virginia it can be really hard for high schools to accept credits done as a homeschooler. In order to graduate, you have to have a certain number of credits in each subject, including a number of 'verified' credits, meaning you have to have passed the state standards test. But . . if you come in mid-year, the classes you finish mid-year count as full credits.

Oh, i mssed the 'coming back to the states' bit. Man, he really wants to go to high school in DC? Hopefully Farrar will come comment . . .

farrarwilliams
01-26-2012, 10:58 PM
There's some good high schools here! But if you're moving to DC proper, you won't have access to most of them if he's entering as a sophomore (??). The "good" DC public schools are places you have to apply to and get a slot before starting 9th grade. I don't recommend going to most of the DC public schools you can just walk in and enroll in... I have heard the same things as Cara about Virginia schools and homeschoolers. It's hard to enter midstream. I know from my time teaching public high school in Virginia that I saw a couple of students enter from other states who were required to do some bizarre sets of classes. I think it's a bit better in MD - I've heard of homeschoolers entering partway through school there, but I don't know more than that.

You know who really needs to chime in is Mommykicksbutt - I seem to recall her son may have gone to school after they came back from abroad? No, wait, that's not right. Maybe I'm conflating a few different forum people.

holycrap
01-27-2012, 03:53 AM
I know Mommykicksbutt. (We recently took her son with us to a trip in the mountains of Granada.)
They have no intention of going back.

Thanks for all the posts.

I will share all this with my son. Since he's "still thinking about it" this could sway him to stay with homeschooling.