PDA

View Full Version : Scholastic Books

raesrose
01-25-2012, 09:27 AM
I have such fond memories as a child of getting the Scholastic book order at school. I was so excited when my daughter would bring home her orders and she had hundreds of books. Now I'm homeschooling my 1rd grade son and I'd love to still get Scholastic Books, but it seems from their website that they only go through schools. Tell me it isn't true! I know I can utilize the library and go to Half Price Books and find stuff, and I do, but getting a pile of books in the mail would be added incentive for my son to foster a love of reading.... Any knowledge, advice???

laundrycrisis
01-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Hi, your avatar is beautiful ! Anyway....you can order books directly from their site. A homeschool group can also set up an account as a school group and get the monthly book club flyers and order through the book club part of their site. The difference is they ship the order for the entire group to one person who then has to collect money and distribute the books. The flyers are IMO useless and annoying though, and they keep sending stacks of them whether you want them or not. I have not explored whether a single homeschooler can set themselves up as a very small school group - you could ask them what the minimum is to set your homeschool up as a school.

Laina
01-25-2012, 10:10 AM
I registered for the book club as a homeschooler and they just asked some questions to verify that I had homeschooled children. Now they send a big pack of the flyers to my house all the time. They are fun, and you can get extra free books just like a classroom teacher when you order.

raesrose
01-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Good news for me then! Yay! There wasn't an obvious way to get that information on the site. I'll have to dig more. Thanks a bunch!

AmyButler
01-25-2012, 01:43 PM
raesrose--please share when you find the info, because I can't find it either!

dottieanna29
01-25-2012, 02:17 PM
I registered for the book club as a homeschooler and they just asked some questions to verify that I had homeschooled children. Now they send a big pack of the flyers to my house all the time. They are fun, and you can get extra free books just like a classroom teacher when you order.

I did this too. I don't order every month but I get stacks of the flyers. You can chose what grades you want flyers for.

raesrose
01-25-2012, 04:35 PM
I'll let you know when I figure it out, Amy!

DragonFaerie
01-25-2012, 09:15 PM

I did this, too. We love ordering books from Scholastic and I LOVE all the freebies I get from the points we earn. It's a great deal all the way around.

mamaraby
01-25-2012, 11:21 PM
I just signed up earlier this month. If you go to https://clubs.scholastic.com/ you'll want to click on the "Register" link and choose "Teacher." You'll fill out your information and then choose "Home School" for "School Location." The website will give you a message (and send you an email) that they need to verify your information first. I'd say it was within a couple of business days before I got an email from someone at Scholastic which included a series of questions that you have to answer basically certifying that you're homeschooling and your children's grade levels, etc.

The first person I talked to told me that I had to order by phone or mail the first time, but when I called to place my order I was told that I could do it online (which is what I prefer anyway) and after a few minutes of work on their end I was able to log in and place my first order. I took advantage of their coupon deal where I got $10 of free books for spending $20 which then gives me three more months of $10 coupons. You also earn bonus points based upon your order total which you can then use to buy more books.

Sometimes the Scholastic price isn't necessarily such a good deal so I do tend to double check Amazon (used and new) before I buy some of the books. That aside, I still think the Scholastic Book Club is a great deal and wish I had signed up earlier.

raesrose
01-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks everyone! I just logged on mamaraby to update that that was exactly what Scholastic told me when I called. Log in as teacher, fill out the information, wait for the call/email. I'm more excited about this than I have a right to be. My son will probably be 'meh' about it, but I'm all giggles. He's always wanting packages in the mail, so maybe he'll get into the spirit of it. Again, thanks!!

AmyButler
01-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Cool Beans! Got registered, now waiting for contact.

wife&mommy
01-28-2012, 10:06 PM
I just signed up earlier this month. If you go to https://clubs.scholastic.com/ you'll want to click on the "Register" link and choose "Teacher." You'll fill out your information and then choose "Home School" for "School Location." The website will give you a message (and send you an email) that they need to verify your information first. I'd say it was within a couple of business days before I got an email from someone at Scholastic which included a series of questions that you have to answer basically certifying that you're homeschooling and your children's grade levels, etc.

The first person I talked to told me that I had to order by phone or mail the first time, but when I called to place my order I was told that I could do it online (which is what I prefer anyway) and after a few minutes of work on their end I was able to log in and place my first order. I took advantage of their coupon deal where I got $10 of free books for spending $20 which then gives me three more months of $10 coupons. You also earn bonus points based upon your order total which you can then use to buy more books.

Sometimes the Scholastic price isn't necessarily such a good deal so I do tend to double check Amazon (used and new) before I buy some of the books. That aside, I still think the Scholastic Book Club is a great deal and wish I had signed up earlier.

Can you tell me what they ask when they verify? We are registered with an umbrella school not the county so I'm not sure if that would be an issue or not?

AmyButler
01-30-2012, 04:02 PM
I just talked to them today and am set up (mostly). They are having some site issues, and will be emailing me when everything is a go. They are sending me a bunch of stuff in the mail too!

raesrose
01-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Huh. I haven't heard from them yet. grr.

mamaraby
01-31-2012, 12:35 AM
They asked if my children were enrolled in another school and if so, then they wanted you to explain it. I don't know if something like a charter school would be a problem or not. The worst that would happen is that they wouldn't verify you for membership. It's worth a shot.

raesrose
02-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Note to anyone out there setting up with Scholastic. They didn't set me up correctly and I had to call back, but they were very nice. The only questions they asked me were how many kids I was homeschooling and if they went to any public school for anything. That was it.

Radish4ever
02-09-2012, 01:30 AM
Know that you can also get their classroom magazines as a homeschool parent, too. It will be more expensive and you do have to call, but they have some great resources available!! :)