PDA

View Full Version : can't get motivated

KristinK
01-24-2012, 09:31 PM
my issue, not theirs ;) LOL.

school is totally not organized for tomorrow. it's only tuesday night and I'm already done for the week. I just can't get myself to fill their boxes and figure out a plan for the "empty" block (we alternate science/geog/art/etc). sigh.

I need some inspiration.

"all" we do is math, copywork, read-alouds, french (rosetta stone). I NEED to add in some other stuff, but I just cannot get it together.

anyways, that's all. really just whining about my lack of togetherness ;)

dbmamaz
01-24-2012, 10:12 PM
I know this doenst help, but that feeling of dissatifaction that you arent doing enough, its like the growing pains right before you make exciting changes. You'll figure it out soon!

Jackielyn
01-25-2012, 07:36 AM
I know this doenst help, but that feeling of dissatifaction that you arent doing enough, its like the growing pains right before you make exciting changes. You'll figure it out soon!

Very insightful :) I tend to agree...I spent a good couple of months trying to organize and piece it all together...I've come to realize that I'm not creative OR organized enough to do so I found something that did it for me. I'm going to do the "box" curriculum...sorta...unit studies anyway. Hopefully you'll find your motivation soon :) I am finally feeling good about our future in homeschooling and it took me several months, I hope it doesn't last that long for you! :hugs:

KristinK
01-25-2012, 09:14 AM
thanks Cara. I'm sure you're right. I've made small changes already, but just really need to add more and can't figure out how/what.

dbmamaz
01-25-2012, 09:39 AM
although of course you also have . . . well . . lots of littles. so i'm sure taht adds to the frustration! any specific things you are thinking of?

KristinK
01-25-2012, 09:57 AM
yes, maybe it's the "littles". It's hard enough just getting the basics done these days. But then dd8 just hangs around all day (we're done by 10:30 usually) doing nothing. She's not a self-starter at all. She DOES read a ton though. I just need to get better about having the books here. I'm really wanting to follow a more C.M. approach wtih living books, it's getting the books that I'm having a hard time doing I guess. I need to just bite the bullet and order some good history and geography books, etc. (our library is pitiful). If I have the books here, she'll read them, then we can work more on the narration part...

ginnyjf
01-25-2012, 10:25 AM
I feel your pain, Kristin. Excepting our lovely Australian members, it's mid-winter and motivation is hard to come by for everyone, I think. It's gray, it's dull, it's cold, or there are rogue storms spawning tornadoes and the whole idea of homeschooling earns groans all around. There are plenty of days when we just want to sleep late and then curl up on the couch under blankets and share a bowl of popcorn and read all day. We've been doing a lot of that. Time enough for science when it's warm and lovely and you can actually get outside to do field study. My son was in traditional school for a while and I saw the amount of work they accomplished in a week (not a heck of a lot). Even on our lazy days we're ahead of the game.

KristinK
01-25-2012, 10:36 AM
thanks ginny! I actually LOVE the winter, but this one pretty much sucks for getting outside. the crazy freeze/thaw cycles don't make for fun snow forts or skiing or snowshoing or anything at all really.

the kids are playing nicely now, so that's a plus. we'll count today as "done" with just our basics.

and yes, science is MUCH better in summer when I can set it up on the picnic table and then just hose away the mess later :D

going to visit my amazon wishlist now and see which books I can justify spending on.

baker
01-25-2012, 10:37 AM
How about History? My kids love History. I do a lot of read alouds, but you could incorporate video or audio books. I use Story of the World and add in a lot of the lit suggestions in the workbook. Other than those suggestions, I really don't use the workbook much. I also follow my kid's lead when they get interested in something. We dig in and gather as much info as we can on that person/thing. It may not last long, but for the short time, they love it.

KristinK
01-25-2012, 02:17 PM
yes, I should start with history. I actually have SOTW #1. We started it last year, but couldn't get into it. DD8 has since read all the little narratives to herself, but not the rest, so I should get that back out and go with it. I wasn't sure I liked it when we started it last year (or maybe it was even the year before...they were probably too young...)

I think a good chunk of my problem is lack of a good library. Going to try a new one next month when our membership at the current expires. Since we're in Quebec, the libraries are mostly french. The one we're currently at is only ALLOWED to have 10% of it's books in english. Which just doesn't give us much to work with. i've found another with a larger english base, so hoepfully it helps...

Avalon
01-25-2012, 10:31 PM
I sometimes can't get motivated because the "basics" seem to suck the life out of all of us. By the time we do math, spelling, and writing, nobody is in the mood to do something fun and engaging. That's when I decide to just ditch the "basics" and go straight for the fun stuff. Do art all morning, or science experiments all afternoon.

I also like to just involve the kids in some pet project of mine, like repotting a bunch of plants, or starting an indoor garden, or repainting a room or even just a chair, or doing a tonne of baking and cooking to store in the freezer. If I'm feeling like I'm in a funk, I usually need to interact with others more, so I invite friends over to make bead necklaces together, or decorate cards together, or cover the entire kitchen floor with a roll of paper and invite the kids to paint on it (yes, with feet and hands!)

The bigger and messier the project, the more likely it is to break me out of my rut.

I have to admit, though, that the kids are less and less likely to want to join me on my tangents nowadays. They roll their eyes, or shrug and say "nah, I'll just read."