PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Oklahoma!

mamareeb
05-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Hello!

My DH and I have JUST about decided to homeschool our 2 boys (almost 10 & 8) next fall. I have actually been wanting to for the last 2 years, but a surprise pregnancy with DD #2 (who joins DD #1 who is 3.5) plus DH not being fully on board made me put the plans on hold.

We have already skipped DS8 ahead one grade and he is still bored, bored, bored. Skipping again would put him in DD10's territory at school...not a good plan. Definitely looking to challenge DS8 and looking to engage DS10.

Somewhat worried about the homeschooling community in OK...it's the Bible Belt for sure. DH is a non-practicing Jew and I'd probably fit right in with the Unitarians if I was ever inspired to use my Sunday mornings that way :) Hoping to find a closet secular community.

Anyway, DH is super excited about the National Geography Bee this week and that seems to be what's pushing him over the edge to homeschool LOL. My big challenge will be reining in his type A, control freak tendencies and encouraging him to let the boys lead a bit.

He's a doc and I'm a librarian so we figure to split subjects toward our specialties, plus enjoy becoming learners again ourselves.

Very happy to have found this site!

~~Rebecca

pandahoneybee
05-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Welcome,welcome to the site. Feel free to check out the resources (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/214-Guide-for-New-Homeschoolers) post for some helpful info. Sounds like you are all ready to go! which is half the battle;) Alot of really helpful folks on here and check out the state by state groups listed here (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/203-Secular-Homeschool-Support-Groups-by-State) to see if any are near by your family.Mine has been a life line to help on those crazy days in the beginning! And of course we can help you out whenever possible, too.

Snoopy
05-26-2010, 04:53 PM
... and don't forget to check your local library for free resources, lol. Sorry I couldn't resist! I love that you're a librarian. I would have become a librarian if I hadn't decided to become a translator instead... which didn't happen anyway. Welcome to the group!

Wilma
05-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Hey! We are in the OKC area. Where are you? We have a great group with a co-op and we are just starting an activities group. There are also some groups in Norman and Tulsa. Check out the list of homeschooling groups by state.

Ann

Topsy
05-26-2010, 09:05 PM
So happy to have you join us, Rebecca. I adore hanging out with first-time homeschoolers because it then I can catch that initial enthusiasm all over again!! :)

Just curious...is the National Geography Bee something you can watch on cable or anything?? I think that would be fun to see!!

Topsy

Shoe
05-27-2010, 02:41 AM
Welcome to the site!

reversemigration
05-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Hi Rebecca, and welcome to the site!

I, too, am starting homeschooling next year with a 10-year-old who was previously skipped ahead - which raises its own issues - so I hope you'll share your experiences and challenges as you go forward. Thanks also for bringing up the National Geographic Bee, as I'd completely forgotten about it.

mamareeb
05-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I'm so happy to have already made an Oklahoma connection. Ann - we're in North Edmond. I'll check the group pages.

The Geography Bee final was televised yesterday on the National Geographic Channel and will be rebroadcast today on most PBS stations at noon.

Off to figure out how to create a signature for myself...

~~Rebecca

Snoopy
05-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Darn it, I jumped on my remote since it's noon now and flipped through but our PBS station is showing Barney. However, the History Channel is showing "Ancient Discoveries: Ancient Death Machines" which is right up Noah's alley so he is very glad that I found that!

Wilma
05-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I'm so happy to have already made an Oklahoma connection. Ann - we're in North Edmond. I'll check the group pages.

The Geography Bee final was televised yesterday on the National Geographic Channel and will be rebroadcast today on most PBS stations at noon.

Off to figure out how to create a signature for myself...

~~Rebecca

You're kidding! We live on the north side of UCO. I'll PM you. You'd love our group! One of our members attends the UU church downtown. Do you work at one of the local libraries? I may have seen you. Small world.

BTW, our group is WISE.

StartingOver
05-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Welcome ! Having an advanced child can be so much fun, and very tiring !

BPier12
05-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Hi Rebecca and Welcome! We are new homeschoolers too and will officially begin this fall with our 12 year old son. Our DS is advanced in language and after a lot of begging on our part, we were able to get the schools to skip him a grade in English. He could skip yet again, but like you, we felt it was not a great idea. So, we are hopeful that homeschooling will let him work at the level that is appropriate for him. I found a great book at the library and was looking at it right before I logged on this evening. You might find it of interest: Creative Home Schooling for Gifted Children - A Resource Guide by Lisa Rivero (published 2002 by Great Potential Press ISBN: 0-910707-48-0). I haven't looked at everything in it yet, but so far I like the writer's style and suggestions. Part of the book explores different homeschooling styles and the various advantages and disadvantages of those styles when working with advanced kids. (I'll admit I can't stand the "gifted" label...every child has gifts as far as I'm concerned, they may just not be gifts that are recognized or encouraged by standard school scenarios.)

reversemigration
05-28-2010, 09:16 AM
Beth,

Thanks so much for that book title. I've put a hold on it through the library here to take a look.

mamareeb
06-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks Beth! I have that title in my amazon basket, just haven't pushed the button yet! I am reading that same author's book, The Homeschooling Option. Hadn't realized those books were by the same author until this morning. I'm really enjoying it and hoping to get my husband to read it.

You & Ben might also like The Five Levels of Gifted I know, I know, you don't like the "G word" :) It was originally called Losing Our Minds Much better title! Really helped me with my 8 year old (and made me think my almost 10 year old may be brighter than he lets on!) It suggests ways to work within the school system, but heartily recommends homeschooling as well.

Thanks again for the welcomes and suggestions!

reversemigration
06-02-2010, 04:45 PM
I finished The Homeschooling Option recently, also without realizing that it was the same author. It goes to show how closely I pay attention. :rolleyes:

The Five Levels of Gifted rings a bell. I'll have to go browse briefly to see if that's because I've read it or was planning on doing so...or, more likely, that my brain is playing tricks on me.

Thanks, mamareeb!

BPier12
06-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks Beth! I have that title in my amazon basket, just haven't pushed the button yet! I am reading that same author's book, The Homeschooling Option. Hadn't realized those books were by the same author until this morning. I'm really enjoying it and hoping to get my husband to read it.

You & Ben might also like The Five Levels of Gifted I know, I know, you don't like the "G word" :) It was originally called Losing Our Minds Much better title! Really helped me with my 8 year old (and made me think my almost 10 year old may be brighter than he lets on!) It suggests ways to work within the school system, but heartily recommends homeschooling as well.

Thanks again for the welcomes and suggestions!

Thanks for the suggestions, mamareeb! I'll try to give both of them a look.