PDA

View Full Version : Oh good grief!

AmyButler
01-19-2012, 09:04 AM
I think her purpose in life is to see if she can drive me insane! Yesterday, Math took 3 hours. There were tears, there were tantrums, there was screaming and gnashing of teeth. I finally told her that I didn't care if we were still sitting at the table at 11:00 at night, the work was going to get done.

Today, she came downstairs at twenty after 8 with tomorrow's history lesson, today and tomorrow's reading lesson, and half of her math lesson done. She thought it was today's history lesson, but today was scheduled for geography that ties into the science unit she is doing.

I am going to need a padded room and a hug-me jacket soon!

jerseychix
01-19-2012, 09:08 AM
That sounds really rough. Was she just being resistive or is there a little bit of Girl Math Thing going on? I ask because I had many a tear and tantrum over math when I was little.

MrsLOLcat
01-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Awww, I'm sorry. I'm kind of jealous that she did so much work before 8:30 a.m., though! That'll never happen here. Hope your day gets better. :)

AmyButler
01-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Oh, it was resistive, no question! It was stuff she knows how to do and she was acting like she couldn't. Part of it is also that although she loved math until this year she had a teacher (who is probably the number one reason we are now homeschooling) who made her hate it because of the way she treated her in the class.

Gabriela
01-19-2012, 09:47 AM
I feel for you. That's how I spent a lot of last year.
But doing 3 hours of math will probably just make it worse.
Here are some things that worked for us -

- remember that if you don't finish this grade's work this year, we can't move on to the next grade. (this was important to my ds because he really wanted to move ahead)
- what you don't get done in the established time, you do on the weekend, or on your free time. (this is working wonders)
- you need to finish THIS much math work this month. (break the work up into months or weeks, so she can SEE what she needs to complete in a smaller time frame)

inmom
01-19-2012, 10:11 AM
I think her purpose in life is to see if she can drive me insane! Yesterday, Math took 3 hours. There were tears, there were tantrums, there was screaming and gnashing of teeth. I finally told her that I didn't care if we were still sitting at the table at 11:00 at night, the work was going to get done.

I sure wish I could tell you that this will pass, but my 14 yo ds still has some days like this over math, and it's his best subject!

cupcakes0104
01-19-2012, 12:52 PM
If it is "stuff she knows how to do" (according to your post above) why not just cut the work in half? Tell her it is a compromise. Or say "prove to me you can do it by correctly doing these 10 problems - maybe in x amount of time - and you can move on?" I know, sometimes it depends on the concept.

I ran into this earlier this year with my youngest and her math. It was subtraction and addition up to 10,000. She KNOWS how to do it. I know it, she knows it, my husband knows it (the neighbors may even know it from all of the yelling - ha ha). So it was repetitive for her. It wasn't because she had already done a bunch of 4 digit problems but it is because math is her best subject and she knows that you have to add the columns, re-group when necessary, etc. Once you know how to do that, you can add problems up to 8 digits long, right? I finally would go through a lesson and highlight half of the problems. When it came time for a benchmark assessment and cumulative review of the addition and subtraction chapters, I skipped them. Moved onto multiplication and now math is getting done in a reasonable time with much less fussing (on both sides of the equation - me and her).

I know, for me, that sometimes I want to see quantity, I want to see complete pages, lessons, chapters, etc. completed in the workbooks but sometimes it just doesn't make sense. Especially if we are all just fussing at each other over it every day. She works a year ahead in math so it makes it even harder for me to skip over concepts she seems to have mastered. I'm afraid to miss something. But, I'm grateful the fussing has stopped and she seems to be engaged again. Trusting my instincts. Hope this helps.

Oh, and we do math every other day. Discovered in the first year that reduced issues over math - not having to face it every day (it is my oldest daughter's least favorite subject). Because we go longer on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, we can reasonably get through a year's worth of work only doing it 3 times a week.

theWeedyRoad
01-19-2012, 03:01 PM
I feel for you! Ds and I had a go-round yesterday about LA. Ultimately, it turned out he had ZERO idea what "put it in your own words" meant, but the bigger picture is that I *gasp* asked him to write something. I get a D- in patience for yesterday. A year in, and I'm still trying to figure that kid out. Issues are rarely exactly what I think- he won't do the assignment, yells, crys, refuses to do it, calls it stupid.. and I find out when we both calm down that he just didn't really understand the work, or that the assignment was too broad, or he's still carrying ps rules around in his head and trying to apply them to homeschooling.

If it is "stuff she knows how to do" (according to your post above) why not just cut the work in half? Tell her it is a compromise. Or say "prove to me you can do it by correctly doing these 10 problems - maybe in x amount of time - and you can move on?" I know, sometimes it depends on the concept.

I agree with this. I've cut assignments short in the MIDDLE of the kids doing them because it's pretty obvious it's just busywork/review, and that they've GOT it. Then again, both of my kids abhor review, so they are quick to point out if they know something and think I'm crossing the line. I'm allowed maybe.. one? review day for a concept they know well, then they demand something else. All kids are different though, and I was one of those kids who loved review sheets because they made me feel smart.

cupcakes0104
01-19-2012, 04:57 PM
My oldest daughter actually told me in the spring of our first hs year, as a 2nd grader, that one of the things that she loved about homeschooling is that if she could show me she knew how to do something, she didn't have to do it for 4 more days. I was speechless.

AmyButler
01-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Oh, I had already cut it down, that was what made me stubborn! I picked one of each type of division problem out of the 25 question review, so she had 7 to do. I think it was just pushing to see how much I would let her get away with. Today was very pleasent, and she went to bed with her math book and workbook tonight.

I think I am going to give her the list of things she has to accomplish in a week, and then just let her figure out how and when she is going to do them. There are a few things she won't be able to do all in one day, like the daily weather readings she is doing right now, but a lot of the stuff I don't think it will hurt to let her do it in her own order. The only thing I am really concerned about her getting into her head to do all at once is the spelling--the best way to learn that is reenforced over a few days and if she tries to do it all in one day, since she doesn't see why it matters anyhow, isn't going to help her.

We have only been at this 3 weeks at this point too, so there is a lot of figuring out to do on both of our parts. I know I was thrilled when her dance teachers told me tonight that they could see a real difference in her in the last couple weeks--she is much more focused, more relaxed, not going all drama-llama when she makes a mistake or doesn't understand something the first time...

Now if I can just keep from pulling my hair out.

Staysee34
01-19-2012, 11:34 PM
Gabriela, I love your tactic of completing assignments on the weekend. I've been struggling tremendously with Sarah lately. Something I know should only take her 15 minutes tops is taking 45 minutes or longer. It's ridiculous. I'm thinking the weekend thing may do the trick. I'll have to try it out!

ponygirl
01-20-2012, 05:23 AM
I still struggle with my 13year old with resistance. Quite frankly it irritates me no end. I think he knows it too.
He will often try the "distraction technique" by trying to start a conversation about something else; he's quite good at this technique.
I just take each day as it comes