PDA

View Full Version : Chat room

camaro
05-25-2010, 05:09 PM
It's a cold, rainy and windy day out today so I'm sitting at the computer this afternoon. I've made a Skype public chat (text only) if any of you are interested. Click the link below to try it out.

skype:?chat&blob=ky5cWHMwybdMagnVel0qoPU0-LILT2eftzKYi2CNnuh805IuUqSMwkRBTjmF774

I tested the link in Google Chrome on a Mac and it didn't like it, but Firefox seemed to get along with it. My computer is on 24/7 so I thought I'd just leave the chat room open all the time if you like...until the power goes out someday anyway. It's open to all for now, but I'd prefer to keep it for just those of you on SHS.

Yes, you'll need Skype for it to work. :)

Snoopy
05-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Hey David, sorry, I don't have Skype and I was gone half the day. What time zone are you in, Pacific Time? Do they call it Pacific Time in Canada, btw?

Shoe
05-25-2010, 09:11 PM
I don't have Skype either, and am not a big fan of instant messaging anyway. I work much better when I can take some time to stop and think about my responses before posting.

EDIT: Of course, I'll always respond to your posts here on the board if I have anything worthwhile to say (and probably even if I don't) :D

Snoopy
05-25-2010, 09:21 PM
I've always felt the same, Shoe. I like emailing and forums because of this :) Love the editing function too, lol! But online chatting is fun sometimes too. I used to do online chatting with my brothers who live in France and when I led the Florida board for iVillage, we had a weekly online chat that was a lot of fun albeit sometimes confusing because of all the different side conversations going on at once. If it's something that takes place at a specific time and for a specific amount of time, I'm usually much more willing to do it. Yes, I'm a control freak, nice to meet you, lol.

camaro
05-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Oh, hey, it's no problem. I don't mean to push anyone into it. It's just a bit of a diversion for me...something different to do. I usually like the forums for "thoughtful conversation", too. Anyway, myself I'm on Central Standard/Mountain Daylight (Saskatchewan doesn't change times). And as this is a public chat room, anyone can be there anytime and I don't have to be. I'll leave it up for a few days and see how it goes.

Snoopy
05-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Saskatchewan doesn't change times
You don't?!? That's it, we're moving to Saskatchewan (here Nathalie realizes she doesn't know how to spell it without looking it up!) and becoming farmers, lol.

Oh, and David, I can only have thoughtful conversations with you because, as I gather, you're a Rush fan and if there is one band I despise, it's Rush (my ex-husband's favorite, that probably has something to do with it!). Kidding! I'd chat with you if I had Skype (but hey, I'm not kidding about Rush, OK?) :P

Topsy
05-25-2010, 10:12 PM
I know...that is the only feature of the old software that I miss a little. We did have the possibility for on-site chatting on the Dolphin platform, but so far, I haven't seen a good plug-in for vBulletin yet.

camaro
05-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Oh, Nathalie! You despise Rush? I don't know...I might have to unfriend you! Or worse - quote Rush lyrics! BTW if you want to move somewhere easier to spell that doesn't change time (and isn't nearly so far) there's always Arizona...you even get to keep that lovely heat you adore so much in Florida!

Anyway, for those who don't have Skype, you can download it here (http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/).

Snoopy
05-26-2010, 12:29 AM
Oh, Nathalie! You despise Rush? I don't know...I might have to unfriend you! Or worse - quote Rush lyrics! BTW if you want to move somewhere easier to spell that doesn't change time (and isn't nearly so far) there's always Arizona...you even get to keep that lovely heat you adore so much in Florida!

Anyway, for those who don't have Skype, you can download it here (http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/).

Oh noes, don't unfriend me! lol. You can quote Rush all you want, I won't even realize that's what you're doing :) I just know that each time some gosh-awful noise comes out of the radio, it ends up being that darn band, LOL.

So I have a question: I don't have a camera on my PCs and I know that you said you had set up a text-only chat, so does that mean that Skype will still work on my PC? I know it's a silly question, but I like to double-check prior to downloading anything because then I'd have to uninstall it and that's just annoying :)

Riceball_Mommy
05-26-2010, 10:11 AM
So I have a question: I don't have a camera on my PCs and I know that you said you had set up a text-only chat, so does that mean that Skype will still work on my PC? I know it's a silly question, but I like to double-check prior to downloading anything because then I'd have to uninstall it and that's just annoying :)

I had the same question about the camera. I hear so much about Skype on tv but I've never looked into what it actually does and how it works.

camaro
05-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Skype "Chat" does not require a camera or microphone, It works much like traditional IM clients. For the purposes of a SHS chat I only intend to use it this way. It's part of the regular Skype app so you still have to download the whole thing (45MB) if you want to try it. It's something I only just learned about because my wife started using it to communicate with fellow Alliance members on a Facebook game.

Snoopy
05-26-2010, 12:28 PM
OK, I've downloaded Skype and I've even uploaded a recent picture. Now, do I hit "Call" or "conversation"? I guess I should read the new user manual... anyhoo, I'm stuck at home with car trouble so more than likely I'll be online all day! I'm off to download it to my laptop so I can be more comfy on the couch :)

Snoopy
05-26-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm off to download it to my laptop so I can be more comfy on the couch :) Oh, Carla is online! I get to talk to her :)

Melyssa
05-26-2010, 04:18 PM
I think that people being able to actually see me while online is like a nightmare come true for this phone-phobic gal. LOL I'm not a chatter/messenger type person either so I'll have to bow out while ya'll have fun. I love boards and yahoo groups though.

Snoopy
05-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Melissa, there's no camera or audio, it's just online chat. You CAN post your picture as an avatar, like we did here. David didn't even bother putting one up for himself but Carla has one of her sitting at her PC looking into the camera as if it were the monitor and at first I was wondering if I was seeing her live until I noticed she wasn't moving AT ALL. LOL. I can be an idiot, sometimes! It was fun chatting with her. It's really relaxed so you can say one thing, and then leave and no one really is upset (well, it was just the 2 of us anyway). It's like starting a conversation with someone in your house and then walking into another room for a little bit.

Anyway, if you ever want to try it sometimes, it's a painless install :)

camaro
05-28-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks to Nathalie's determined efforts to learn Skype's chat features, it has come to my attention that the lastest Windows versions, 4.0 and up, have dropped some of the Public Chat features. While she was able to join the chat I posted a link to in the first post, she could not find any way to create one and in fact Skypes help page says they have dropped it to concentrate on their core functionality. Alrighty then. Anyway, I have managed to dig up an older version (3.8) that still has these features at this link...

http://www.filehippo.com/download_skype/4090/

If anyone running Win7 wants to try it, read this page at the following link which tells you how to get version 3.8 installed and running on that OS. Not a 7 user myself so YMMV.

http://forum.skype.com/topic/511431-skype-3-8-for-windows-7-working/

Mac users can take comfort in the fact that for whatever reason, the current Mac version of Skype still has the full Public Chat feature. So if anyone still wants to try out our wee little Homeschool Chat on Skype, come on over! No camera or microphone required! :)

Snoopy
05-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks for all your help, David!

Riceball_Mommy
05-28-2010, 10:26 PM
I downloaded it but I'm not sure I understand all the features yet.

camaro
05-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Don't worry, Jessica, My brain hurts trying to figure it all out myself. :)