PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooling with a newborn?

Mrs. Apple
01-13-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm new to homeschooling. I'm halfway through 2nd grade using various curricula with DS7 and OPGTR+fun stuff with DS 4. My husband and I share the homeschooling and we've had some challenges but I think we're in a decent routine now. We usually have lazy mornings and then "do school" for several hours in the afternoon until dinnertime.

We're expecting another boy in 3 months (yay!) and I have no idea what to expect as far as how this will affect our homeschooling. We plan to be done for the year (with math, grammar, writing, spelling) when the baby comes. Over the summer, we'll take it easy and do science and history only. (We don't do these formally now, just read and explore things as the interest pops up.)

I know every family is different, but I'm curious about others' experiences. How did adding a new baby affect your homeschooling?

Mum
01-13-2012, 03:31 PM
I started hsing a second grader with a newborn in the house. For me, the challenges came in waves. Sometimes things went wonderfully. Each time the baby hit a new phase in his development it would throw a wrench in our hs days.

For example, for a few weeks he was happy to lay on a blanket on the floor beside us while we worked together. Then he started rolling and suddenly leaving him beside us was no longer an option. He'd roll himself too far away and then fuss for me to fetch him back to us again. That sucked big, sweaty balls, dude. The constant distractions drove my schooler crazy.

The best advice I can give you is to try to keep things planned ahead of the day and be ready to roll with whatever changes his development demands. Feel free to message me to vent.

KristinK
01-13-2012, 03:55 PM
I took a good 6 months off after the last baby...but I was just overwhelmed in general and couldn't handle adding HSing back in too soon.

opheliag
01-13-2012, 05:50 PM
I started homeschooling with a kindergartner, 2yo and 3mo infant. For me, I had to be organized and made really good use of a sling. We would sit on the couch and read while I nursed the baby. I kind of miss those days. It was honestly easier back then to homeschool than it is now with all three doing school.

Jeni
01-14-2012, 12:10 AM
I'll have an 8 year old, a 4 year old, and a newborn in a couple months as well. I am in the same boat as you and am wondering the same things.

Airen
01-14-2012, 12:41 AM
How you ladies with multiple kids still hs'd... wow. Awestruck here. I'm with KristenK... take your time.

DS has never been in ps, and I brought home a baby xmas eve last year. We rolled a bit like Mum. THankfully, I have an easygoing kid. We have a schedule of an order to do things, but no times attached. We do things as we're able. If baby is having abad day, it's a day off school. He's toddling around, so I've barricaded us into the living room to try and keep some sort of order. Literally- baby gates at both entrances. Baby has free reign while ds and I sit at the table.

Snacks are huge... keeps baby occupied long enough to finish a lesson :D

Bugs
01-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Baby ends up being shuffled around here- we have a good schedule so when she is napping we work on important things, like Math, where the inturruption would be a problem, and save the hands on, louder, messier things for when baby is awake. We have a jumper in the school room, a pack-n-play in the living room, and a chair for her to sit in at the table. She and her toys are toted around all day long. It works!

Marmalade
01-17-2012, 05:45 PM
My last baby was born in September and I just decided to take it as slowly as possible until we were able to create a routine around him. If you are planning on wrapping up your year in 3 months and then take a break I think that would be a great option...

A lot of the times-if I'm the one doing the work with them (because, like you, we both do it) I will have the baby either in his sling or maybe laying on the bed with us. I joke that he's going to know everything by the time it is his turn. Of course-juggling a 5th baby is a lot easier-because once you get past 2 things just go smoother. :)

Congratulations on the baby! Whatever happens it will be exciting!

Little Brownelf
02-04-2012, 02:57 AM
My last baby was born in September and I just decided to take it as slowly as possible until we were able to create a routine around him. If you are planning on wrapping up your year in 3 months and then take a break I think that would be a great option...

A lot of the times-if I'm the one doing the work with them (because, like you, we both do it) I will have the baby either in his sling or maybe laying on the bed with us. I joke that he's going to know everything by the time it is his turn. Of course-juggling a 5th baby is a lot easier-because once you get past 2 things just go smoother. :)

Congratulations on the baby! Whatever happens it will be exciting!

I completely agree. And Congratulations! :D

Our story: I gave birth to our 3rd child last November. We have a Jan-Oct/Nov school year, so it worked out pretty well in that regard. We strove to get most school items done by the end of October with the idea that nothing would get done immediately after birth (which nothing did) and then it would be Thanksgiving followed by our usual all of December off. We actually did accomplish some minor schooling in December, but that was more out of boredom on the older kids parts and my need to be doing "something" while I was home on maternity leave. We "officially" started a new school year the second week of January. So far, it has gone much better than I anticipated. Partly this is do to their independent work - Math Mammoth, MCP Phonics, Spelling Workout, and Zane Blosser. Partly it's due to nursing and slinging the baby during "school time." But mostly, I think, has to do with this being the calmest of my 3 children (such a blessing!) I was completely ready to have chaotic and sporadic school times and trying to prep myself in case this became a lost school year. Instead, I think we are more focused than ever!

We'll see how I feel once I return to work this coming week and our weekly routine changes again. :p Still, I just wanted you to know that while anything is possible with a new baby, sometimes it can work out better than you think. :)

CatInTheSun
02-04-2012, 05:26 AM
I started hs-ing my eldest 2mo before my 3rd was due, plus a 3.5yo toddler. The hardest part about hs-ing with a newborn for me was just the general sleep deprivation. I would set up dd's lessons after the kiddos were in bed (or while nursing the 3rd and watching tv with dh after the first 2 were asleep). :D What helped me was using a lot of worksheet-type curricula, setting up a folder of work that dd could pull out from (plus her HOWT workbook, etc) -- just generally having her work for the day set out BEFORE I went to sleep the night before made a high difference. Then dh could walk her through some of her lessons while I napped or was busy with the baby or the toddler.

Honestly, the first 6mo or so was easy. Adjusting to a 3rd child is easier than the 1st or 2nd imo, and until they are mobile it's easy to been them entertained in a bouncy seat or jumper or sling or nursing. It didn't get hard until the 2nd started K and i had 2 that wanted a lot of hands-on with me plus a toddler. I'd say it's much harder hs-ing 2 with a 3yo, so you can look forward to that! LOL

ponygirl
02-05-2012, 07:38 PM
We will be in the same boat in a few months.
I had a friend tell me when her 5th was born her kids took it in turns to keep baby occupied. So they would literally do lesson about. One would look after baby then next lesson a different sibling would look after baby. She said it worked out. Sounds like a lot of catch up to me.