PDA

View Full Version : Yet another reason to homeschool

reversemigration
05-25-2010, 01:31 AM
http://www.theonion.com/video/christian-groups-biblical-armageddon-must-be-taugh,17491/

Just for laughs. :)

amphibology29
05-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Where's the little smiley that depicts me slamming my head against the desk?

CharNC
05-25-2010, 11:04 AM
The Onion is a sattire website. None of the news on it is real. They take extremes and make fun of it.

hockeymom
05-25-2010, 11:04 AM
I've been in a new-homeschooler bout of panic the past few days but this reaffirmed to me that I'm doing the right thing by keeping my son home. I'm nearly speechless over how terrifying that video is. On a side note, a few weeks after pulling our 7 year old out of school, he told us that they had to PRAY every day at lunchtime (out loud--the whole Thank You God blah blah)! He didn't like it, and was relieved that he didn't have to do it anymore! If I hadn't already taken him out, I would have immediately after finding that out! ARGH!!!!!!

CharNC
05-25-2010, 11:06 AM
The Onion is a satire news source. AKA fake. The Onion is an American news satire organization. It features satirical articles reporting on international, national, and local news as well as an entertainment newspaper and website known as The A.V. Club. Since 2007, the organization has been publishing satirical news audios and videos online, as the "Onion News Network".

leav97
05-25-2010, 11:12 AM
It's the onion. You do realize it's not real. Right?

Shoe
05-25-2010, 11:50 AM
That is hilarious :D You've got to love the Onion!

Snoopy
05-25-2010, 12:30 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA, I can't stop laughing!

Seriously though, speaking of netiquette, maybe we should always put a disclaimer about The Onion whenever we post a link to them because a lot of people don't seem to know it's a satire news organization. I bet this would save a few people some serious aggravation :)

reversemigration
05-25-2010, 12:57 PM
I apologize for not inserting a smiley or warning that it was satire in advance; I've gotten so accustomed to reading the Onion that I've forgotten it's not universal! Given their production values and how closely they copycat "real" styles of newscasting, I can see how it'd be easy to be led astray.

Again, mea culpa!

Teri
05-25-2010, 01:30 PM
That was hysterical! Love the Onion!

hockeymom
05-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Oh duh....I didn't even pay any attention where the "article" was from! (Serious embarrassment!) Still, I'd hardly put it past school officials; maybe my son's recent experience with mandatory school prayer has made me paranoid!

CharNC
05-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Ya, thats why I posted about it being satire before it was taken seriously.

Snoopy
05-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Oh duh....I didn't even pay any attention where the "article" was from! (Serious embarrassment!) Still, I'd hardly put it past school officials; maybe my son's recent experience with mandatory school prayer has made me paranoid!
Don't feel bad! As Ben noted, the quality of their "broadcast" is so good and mimicks the real thing so well, that if you're listening with only 1 ear, you're easily fooled into thinking it's the real deal and then your blood pressure goes through the roof when they talk about stuff like this. I wouldn't put it past some fundies to declare that this is the greatest idea ever, though. I can't believe that your kid was required to pray at school. Was this a public school?!

hockeymom
05-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Yep, public school. We're Americans currently living in a tiny town in eastern Canada so I don't know the Canadian laws about this, but as an American citizen I totally freaked when I found out! Good thing he had already been pulled out of school or they would have heard an earful! :)