PDA

View Full Version : considering unit studies

MaineMomma
01-06-2012, 02:38 PM
I am still in research mode. I am so very drawn to Unit studies as I feel like I would be able to discuss broad topics in various ways. I also feel like it would help with keeping both children focused on the same topic and sharing in learning together.

Now, here's the question: HOW do i actually write this up for a yearly plan that needs to be submitted to the school board? How do I know what we will want to cover?
Does anyone have a sample outline they'd be willing to share to give me a jumping off point?
I appreciate the help and support.

Tessa

lakshmi
01-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Tessa:

I use Moving Beyond the Page which is one of the pricey boxed curriculum. But you could easily take a look at their curriculum and then make a list. Or any curriculum for that matter. Also check out the Maine group here.

Good luck

SueEllen Grieves-Curl
01-07-2012, 11:30 AM
I love unit books. For us they work wonders. They are not as intimidating as the big books are and they go more in detail on the subjects they are teaching.

dbmamaz
01-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Our notification letters dont have to be very detailed. and usually math is covered seperately. so for me, in VA, it would be something like each kid will be doing math using xyz curriculum at thier grade level. We will be working on reading and writing skills as we study a variety of science and social study topics - and maybe list some of the units you are considering . . . sharks, local historical places, horses, space, ancient greece, whatever.

Jackielyn
01-07-2012, 12:34 PM
I have come to realize that I am not organized or creative enough to piece together my own curriculum...as much as I'd love to homeschool on the cheap I just can't. I absolutely love the idea of unit studies...I've resisted thinking my boys wouldn't like them but I just keep coming back to it. So I am giving Moving Beyond the Page a try and in my search for other boxed curriculum unit studies I found Trail Guide to Learning Paths of Exploration which is an American History unit study which I think I may do for my oldest next year. I decided on Five in a Row for my DD who will be in K. MBtP is for my middle son. While I'd love for them to kinda learn the same thing, my middle son just isn't interested in history like my oldest is. I will just have to settle on a math curriculum now :)

lakshmi
01-08-2012, 12:56 AM
Jackielyn, I love RightStart math and I also love MBTP so if you have any questons you can message me so as not to bore everyone.

MaineMomma
01-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks to all. you've given me a great jumping off point... but please... bore away... i need ALL the info i can get.... I really appreciate it. This is the first i'd heard of Right Start or five in a row... so keep it coming!!!

lakshmi
01-10-2012, 01:14 AM
MaineMomma, Right Start has a yahoo group that is relatively active. And also on SlideShare they have some examples that explain their stuff a bit. (http://www.slideshare.net/rightstartmath/imf-visualization-october-2011)

Also great to search SHS once you hear of something. We have a tendency to discuss the same topics over and over as new people come in. So there is a lot of information on here!

MaineMomma
01-11-2012, 08:29 AM
i'm really seriously considering Oak Medow or Mbtp.... I love the books being to focus of activities for Mbtp and that Oak Medow has several outside activities. I plan on reusing stuff for my youngest as well. It seems both can be packed away and saved. any thoughts?

lakshmi
01-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Search for both on this forum and other forums. The more you hear from users the better. I am a fan of MBTP but that being said, some do not like it.

I'd say that I have read that Oak Meadow wasn't satisfying but i NEVER researched it. MBTP is NOT a unit studies, it is based on the theory of Constructivism. It means that they develop or construct an abstract concept into a physicality. Such as, Change as a concept and talking about math: adding and subtracting; history: past, present, future; and the same for the other concepts. It is a sort of unit study but it based on a concept and not a theme. Additionally it is standards based. So it covers a lot of what the schools are covering. And lastly it does not beat you over the head with one lesson, such as oodles of problems or oodles of words to work add -es too. BUT that being said some of the concepts can feel like you're getting beat over the head. And in that case you modify. Some kids are more advanced than the lower level but not quite to the upper level and for those kids you could compact or shorten the curriculum. And that would be using less than 4 concepts and even skipping a few. Or taking them slower and delving inot them and then waiting for developement to catch up.

I went for it because looking up stuff to do all the time was a drag for me. I started with a list of Kinder standards for my state and created all the work from scratch. No internet. I know insane. But I had no idea. lol.... That got to be too much when we all went to work for 30 hours each week, I knew I needed "help" so i started looking at boxed stuff. And most of it was Christian and somehow I have no idea how, I found MBTP! It to me was exactly what I needed. Secular, Unit like studies that interrelated. And relatively easy to follow.

I really like it and my kids seem to like it. Considering they spend a lot of time on the projects. And ones that I think will suck, they do not. it continually amazes me what they think is fun!
MBTP has a yahoo and facebook group I have no idea about Oak Meadow tho.

Good luck deciding.

MaineMomma
01-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks so much!