PDA

View Full Version : I am so glad I got rid of the van and got an SUV!

Wilma
05-23-2010, 06:46 PM
I feel far less ridiculous rocking out to Cheap Trick on my way to Home Depot in my current vehicle than I did doing so in the Odyssey. (And you probably thought it was a safety issue.)

amphibology29
05-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Hahaha! :D

pandahoneybee
05-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Thats my reason why I wont get a minivan! hehehehe

schwartzkari
05-23-2010, 08:41 PM
LMAO!
I currently drive a beat up Saturn. I swear everytime I touch it, something else breaks. I think I want to buy a truck. I'm a tiny woman, so I might look ridiculous driving it but it would be more fun to rock out in :)

mjzzyzoff
05-23-2010, 09:57 PM
I love my odyssey! But I guess I don't rock out anymore.... :(

Snoopy
05-23-2010, 10:01 PM
I went from an Odyssey (which I loved too but it was old and only a 7 passenger) to a Ford Expedition EL which is my baby. I luuuuuurve my SUV. I don't know Cheap Trick but I rock to Aerosmith in mine :) Oh, and I can fit a whole sheet of plywood in the cargo space and close the door. Or my weekly grocery shopping :)

Melyssa
05-24-2010, 05:07 AM
Yay! That's awesome. I can't bring myself to have a minivan. I just gave up my Ford Expedition last year (had a Jeep Cherokee before that) to downsize in this more urban suburb area we live in now. Admittedly I feel a lot less tough and cool driving a Honda CR-V than an Expedition. Oh well. LOL But it's red at least, does that help? LOL (And hey, I've seen Cheap Trick in concert three times!)

BPier12
05-24-2010, 07:42 AM
I feel far less ridiculous rocking out to Cheap Trick....

Oh so glad to know I'm not the only one still rocking out to Cheap Trick....in my 1996 Subaru Outback that is being held together with fumes and duct tape! :cool:

Wilma
05-24-2010, 07:51 AM
Hubby has a Legacy, not the Outback version. We were discussing what we (I) would downsize to once I am not carting around kids. We both agreed an Outback would be nice. I want one with stick shift, and I know they arent' as common as they used to be. Plus, I don't think you can get leather interior with a stick shift. Obviously the 2 hate each other. Decisions, decisions....

Wilma
05-24-2010, 07:53 AM
I went from an Odyssey (which I loved too but it was old and only a 7 passenger) to a Ford Expedition EL which is my baby. I luuuuuurve my SUV. I don't know Cheap Trick but I rock to Aerosmith in mine :) Oh, and I can fit a whole sheet of plywood in the cargo space and close the door. Or my weekly grocery shopping :)

I love Aerosmith. I adore Aerosmith. I need to seem them in concert. Oh well, Dream on....

Snoopy
05-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Dream on.... good one, lol! My 14 y.o was supposed to see them last year in Tampa but that was in the middle of Steven Tyler getting hurt so the concert was cancelled. He was sooooo disappointed. We love them!

Wilma
05-24-2010, 04:51 PM
good one, lol! My 14 y.o was supposed to see them last year in Tampa but that was in the middle of Steven Tyler getting hurt so the concert was cancelled. He was sooooo disappointed. We love them!

He's had a lot of problems. Didn't he have some throat issue a few years back and they had to cancel a tour. Everyone thought it was cancer. He's still hot(IMO) in a scrawny I've-lived-a-lot-of-living-but-not-as-much-as-Keith-Richards. Not my type at all, but fun to watch from afar.

mjzzyzoff
05-24-2010, 10:19 PM
I can redeem myself here - Aerosmith was my first concert! And I had an SUV back then!!!

pandahoneybee
05-25-2010, 09:29 AM
We are in a VW beetle, and out growing it by the day. (13 and 8 year old boys!) But I refuse to go into a mini van, I figure if I made it thru car seats and climbing in and out of the tiny backseat with toddlers I can make it until they get cars of their own! My husband thinks NOT!

Snoopy
05-25-2010, 12:03 PM
We are in a VW beetle, and out growing it by the day. (13 and 8 year old boys!) But I refuse to go into a mini van, I figure if I made it thru car seats and climbing in and out of the tiny backseat with toddlers I can make it until they get cars of their own! My husband thinks NOT! Well I guess it depends on how tall you expect your boys to grow, lol :)

dbmamaz
05-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Ok, I'll stick my neck out and say . . .unless you have a real need for a truck (like livestock?), I think most SUVs are serious gas wasters. The cool factor is really worth the money for you? OTOH, I LOVE my Mazda5, which is a mini-mini-van, 5-speed, better mileage than other minivans, and is really cool looking! It only holds 6 people, but i only have 5 in the family, so . . .

Snoopy
05-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Ok, I'll stick my neck out and say . . .unless you have a real need for a truck (like livestock?), I think most SUVs are serious gas wasters.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion, Cara. I am sure that your lifestyle is different from ours. This isn't a status thing for me; with so many of them on the road here, it's hardly a "cool" thing to have. Yes it is definitely worth the money for me. We are a family of 8 who are carting around music, camping, and sport equipment, construction supplies for the projects on the house, tons of groceries, etc. What might represent wasted gas or money for you is (quick, find me a secular word for "godsend"!)... essential to me in a lot of ways. Sure, sometimes it might only be Noah, another kid and me only in the car BUT: I can afford the gas and the car payments (we got a big discount due to my FIL being a retired Ford engineer), I got the most "stripped" model possible, I keep my vehicle maintained (no leaks), we live in a house that we can afford with old countertops and kitchen cabinets, I don't use chemicals on my lawn ( I don't even water my lawn), I recycle, I try to consolidate my errands as much as possible, I offer car rides to my friends so we can carpool on field trips, I take 3 minute showers, I don't pollute my neighborhood with inconsiderate noise from unruly pets or children or muffler-less motorcycles, I neutered my pets, I donated hair to Locks of Love several times, I don't waste money on a cable bill or on a fancy cell phone plan (we don't have a texting plan!), I get all my books from the library, I use the other side of the papers that I print, and many many other things to make me a somewhat responsible citizen. I'm no Mother Teresa, that's true, but I darn right stand by my choice to drive a big SUV :) Oh, and I will drive it into the ground. I had over 180K miles on my Odyssey when I traded it in.

That being said, I need to take it in to the garage tomorrow for a transmission problem and I dread hearing how much this will cost us.

Melyssa
05-26-2010, 09:55 PM
I love the power and rumble of a V8 engine. Nothing compares. I like being up high too. If we ever move back to a more rural area I will gladly get another truck of some kind. I could maybe settle for a V6 something or other...maybe. I had a Ford Ranger before my Cherokee and Expedition, and it was a good little truck. I love being able to move and store things too. When we had our Expy we also had a travel trailer so it was great for towing and storing camping gear in the back. We sold our camper when we moved last fall though. But, I did love having 8 seat capability. At times I was able to drive the entire girl scout troop to their field trips and that rocked. LOL I was raised in the country around farms so maybe that is where my truck obsession comes from. We go to the auto show every year and while my hubby ogles sporty things, I drool over the big Dodge Rams and such.

Wilma
05-26-2010, 10:50 PM
I like feeling safe. I like having the room. We carry a lot of sports equipment and carpool with people who carry a lot of sports equipment. We are campers. But I think the thing that makes me like having a large, safe car with good visibility was something my dh did last summer. I was going to take the kids on a long field trip with some people from church. We were going to be driving a lot and a great distance in this loop we were making. He gathered us all around and told us the most important things in the world to him were going to be in our car that day. He told the girls the behave and be good, be helpful navigators, the whole thing, so we all could get home safely to him.(Of course, the car I was driving on that trip was the Odyssey, which I left broken down in Woodward, Ok at Palomino Auto Repair to get fixed for the last time so it would have, as dh put it "trade in value," but I disgress.)

Also, when we got our car, I took it to a local mechanic to have it checked out. I ran into a friend who is a police officer. He told me he will not let his wife drive a small car after all the accidents he has seen.

But believe me, I get the wanting a smaller more efficient car. It just doesn't fit our life at this point.

Snoopy
05-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Yeah, great points about wanting to be higher. I was driving Greg's Ford Focus this morning on the way to the garage and he was driving my Expedition and man, first off my head felt like it was reaching to the ceiling and second, I couldn't see anything around him. I also realized how much the bigger trucks tend to ride the smaller cars' bumpers, and I don't think it's on purpose, it's just that we sit higher in the trucks so our line of horizon is higher? Anyhow, I am going to make a conscious effort to leave more distance between my SUV and the sedans from now on. I'm always very careful around motorcycles and bikes. I'm paranoid that I'll take a biker with my side mirrors one day so I give them a very wide berm.

adlib77
05-27-2010, 01:01 PM
dbmamaz - I LOVE Mazda5's! We wound up with a 2000 Mazda MPV when we finally got a big enough car (we would have one adult walk for a while, there, until we had the cash to buy something outright), but a Mazda5 was a consideration. It would have fit the family, but nothing else.

I tend to be fairly anti-SUV, myself, but then I live in the middle of town and have, at most, 4 or 5 kids to haul around, so I try not to judge. We're about to sell our 2nd car and get bikes and a bike trailer, though, so we definitely have different needs!

I rock a minivan, though. Love the thing. It hauls all our people and my hubby's DJ equipment and has a roof rack for camping. That's pretty rad to me!

dbmamaz
05-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Ok, having 8 people to drive around is a totally valid reason imo! I did own an econoline for a while, because we had a business that used it. and yes, i respect everyone's right to make their own decisions. and, fwiw, i'm more likely to say something like that when I'm pms'ing . . . so today I have to brain-dead first day of my period :( :o

StartingOver
05-27-2010, 09:57 PM
:cool: I just can not do a minivan !!

camaro
05-27-2010, 11:22 PM
We have a minivan (05 Montana SV6) for family trips, but much prefer my diesel pickup truck (the '97 GMC Sierra 2500). But I must say for pure power, noise and BIG factor, nothing quite compares to firing up the Series 60 Detroit Diesel on my 1995 Kenworth T-600. It sure crackles when it first starts! And in a way it does sort of become a family vehicle when I'm hauling hay in the fall and Carla's away. I've spent more than a few long days with the boys in there so I appreciate the 62" sleeper. They lay on the bed watching the portable DVD player, or playing with toys, or fighting over who sits in the passenger seat! It's not exactly drive-thru friendly, though, and a bit pricey to refuel, too!

Snoopy
05-27-2010, 11:24 PM
i'm more likely to say something like that when I'm pms'ing ( :o Well then you can come join me in the PMS corner. I made cookies :)

Sarbare0704
06-03-2010, 11:27 AM
I must admit I love our mini van! We bought it used when Lucy was just a baby kind of seemed ridiculous at the time but now a days we are often filling 5 of the 7 seats with a trunk full! We are also campers and now with a second baby we actually needed to put stuff in my hubbys Ranger to get it all out there last weekend! But hopefully next year when Im not dragging around an exersaucer and stroller and other things to keep the little one contained we can fit better! And driving a mini van definitely does not stop me from rocking out! ;)

paganmomblog
06-03-2010, 12:15 PM
My MIL has a Dodge Caravan, nice one that seats 7. It has those seats that fold down into the floor. ANywho we went to see Metallica last October and my hubs borrowed her van for us and his 4 friends to drive down in so we only had to take one vehicle. Yea, I felt like an idiot rocking out to Metallica full blast on our way to Charlotte NC. I did feel better though when we got there and half the audience showed up in a minivan too.

Sarbare0704
06-03-2010, 12:28 PM
See guys! It is cool!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-N3F1FhW4

paganmomblog
06-03-2010, 12:32 PM
ROFL I love that!

Wilma
06-03-2010, 01:39 PM
have you heard the song to the Spider Man theme tune that goes

Married man, married man
Driving 'round in his mini-van

Snoopy
06-03-2010, 05:02 PM
I did feel better though when we got there and half the audience showed up in a minivan too. SOOOOO FUNNY, lol! Do you ever read the Baby Blues comics? Over the years there have been some really funny ones about owning a minivan and still trying to be "cool".

dbmamaz
06-03-2010, 10:47 PM
awesome video!

when I bought my mazda5, this was my favorite review: http://articles.latimes.com/2006/may/17/autos/hy-neil17 I loved this paragraph:

"Can we just get over the minivan stigma? You could fill the Suez Canal with all the gasoline wasted because suburban breeders -- afraid that a minivan would make them look like, well, exactly what they are -- opted instead for three tons of big ugly SUV. Look, the cultural code of minivans is confused. Minivans are sexy. If nothing else, they are proof positive that you have had successful and productive congress with the opposite sex. Can you say as much for a Corvette? I don't think so."

paganmomblog
06-04-2010, 07:31 AM
SOOOOO FUNNY, lol! Do you ever read the Baby Blues comics? Over the years there have been some really funny ones about owning a minivan and still trying to be "cool".

LOL! I love Baby Blues! I think I remember one about a minivan and concert now that I think about it. Didn't they do one about cell phones instead of lighters during the slow songs? Yea I saw that at an Avenged Sevenfold concert I went to.