PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Question

JenR
12-21-2011, 11:20 PM
We live in Colorado and I know we have to have a standardized test or an evaluation in the odd years from 3 to 11 grades.

My question if anyone knows, is...

I'm taking my oldest out of PS at semester (which happens to be as soon as they go back from break). She's actually already signed out of the school. Because she was in the school for half of the year, do we still have to test this year, or can we wait?

I asked the admin for the district, and even he doesn't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you. :)

coloradoalice
12-22-2011, 12:02 AM
If I were you I'd do the test just to cover your butt. Or you can go the evaluation route which is no testing, just having your child talk to an evaluator. I'm not exactly sure on the details of how to get an evaluator but I'm going to have to figure it out for next year because my daughter will be in 3rd.

Good luck! Where about are you? I'm south east of Denver.

itsafoot
12-22-2011, 12:09 AM
I agree with Alice, I would have her tested or evaluated. I am in my first year of hsing and do not have to have my dd11 evaluated until next year. I will do some research as well and let you know if I find anything out. Where are you located? I am in Colorado Springs.

JenR
12-22-2011, 01:59 AM
I'm about 45 minutes north east of Denver, or 45 minutes south east of Ft. Collins.

Thanks for the thoughts on this. :)
I was thinking we would, but she has terrible test anxiety that I want to work with her first. With the requirement that they have to be above the 13%, I'm terrified too!! She's slightly behind grade level in some things, especially when she's tested, which is one of the reasons we've decided to home school.

I haven't looked into the evaluation part yet. Not sure ow that all works. Luckily, our district seems to work very well with home schoolers. I'm sure I could get a teacher to help as soon as I figure out what we have to do.

We will be pulling our other 3 kids out at the end of the school year, and 2 of them will have to be tested next year, but at least I will have a full year with them.

coloradoalice
12-22-2011, 03:29 PM
If she has test anxiety I would just do the evaluation. From what I've heard it's very simple, I just don't know where you get the list of people who are qualified to evaluate. If you are in contact with someone in the district hopefully they can point you in the right direction.

JenR
12-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Thank you for all your input. I was hoping that we could avoid this year because she was in PS for a semester, but we will probably look into taking the test for just the results to see what she knows or just the evaluation hopefully with a teacher we trust.