PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Alaska!

Green Vixen
05-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Hi everyone,

Greetings from the far north! My name is Marisa and I was an unschooler growing up. I have three little ones, a 3 1/2 year old son and 20 month old boy/girl twins. I am planning on homeschooling them and am trying to learn as much as I can right now. I think we will be using a very eclectic approach, Charlotte Mason, Classical, Waldorf and Montessori ;) Just taking the bits and pieces I like from each and what I think will work with our family.

My husband is in the military and we are currently stationed in Alaska but we are both from Washington state and hope to retire there when he gets out of the military. We enjoy Alaska but I am getting weary of the long and bitter cold winters, especially with three little ones.

Looking forward to getting to know you all better :-)

Marisa

pandahoneybee
05-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Welcome;) Sounds like you are on the right track, you can never get enough info as far as I am concerned! Please feel free to ask this group anything! everyone up here is full of good info and ideas! I wish that I had started with my boys from the beginning. Check out our resource page (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/192-resources) for some more helpful hints:)

Snoopy
05-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Welcome to the group! Alaska must be gorgeous but I do not envy you the long cold months with 3 little ones as you said! I find it very interesting that you were unschooled yourself. How did you like that approach, from the student POV? Will you be unschooling your children to any degree? I'm trying to be more relaxed in my approach with Noah and I'm taking baby steps with it. At the rate I'm going, he'll be working on his PhD before I'm ready to say I'm an unschooler :)

Shoe
05-24-2010, 02:33 AM
Hi Marisa and welcome to the group. I look forward to your perspective on things. This site has been really useful for me, as well as a friendly place to hang out. I hope you'll find the same.

Cheers.

BPier12
05-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Welcome Marisa! It is great to have someone here who has had the experience of being unschooled. I'm sure some of us will have lots of questions for you and I hope that you find the support and information you're looking for here. It is a wonderful group of people with a wide variety of methods, skills, and interests.

reversemigration
05-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Hi Marisa - you're definitely adding to our geographic diversity. I can understand how long winters would be difficult, particularly with three little ones! All the friends and relations I know who've lived in Alaska have since returned southwards.

Like everyone else, I'm interested in how you relate your own upbringing to that of your children. Inquiring minds and all!

Topsy
05-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Welcome to the site, Marisa!! Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. I think you just might be our first member from Alaska - - or at least the first one to post your location!! You might want to drop in on the Alaska group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=67) and add yourself, so that if any other folks from AK join, they will know they are in good company. :) You also might want to check out the Preschoolers group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=14), as well.

We're very relaxed homeschoolers (I have two boys ages 14 and 16) ourselves, and it has been working very well for us!! I look forward to hearing more about your personal experiences with unschooling.

Topsy

Green Vixen
05-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I am so happy to have found this forum with all the great information and members. I can't wait to delve into the forums and learn as much as I can!

To answer your questions about unschooling I am not sure if I am going to unschool my kids. I am still in the information gathering stage of all the different philosophies and curriculums. I think my unschooling background will definitely influence the way I raise and homsechool my children though. I guess it would also depend on the definition you use of unschooling.

Unschooling was a great choice for our family growing up since it gave us the flexibility to travel and cater to my health problems (I have Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and did as a child). There also weren't a lot of choices 27 years ago when my parents started homeschooling it was either very fundamental curriculums or no curriculum at all. We were definitely the minority in the homeschool community back then and still are I see ;) I did attend public school a few years and went on to college so I hope that alleviate some of your fears that an unschooler can't transition into mainstream education.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any further questions. I will try to check out the unschooling forum on here as well.

Marisa

Wilma
05-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Hi Marisa! Welcome to the site. This is a wonderful community. I have always wanted to visit Alaska, especially around August here in OK! I'd love to hear your perspective on unschooling and what is was like for you.

Snoopy
05-25-2010, 08:06 PM
(I have Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and did as a child

Marisa, one of our members, Cara, has a teen girl who was just diagnosed with Fibromyalgia so I'm sure she'll want to chat with you about this. How do you handle 3 little kids with your health problems?! I wish I had your stamina. Just hs'ing one and being reasonably healthy wipes me out!

Green Vixen
05-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Marisa, one of our members, Cara, has a teen girl who was just diagnosed with Fibromyalgia so I'm sure she'll want to chat with you about this. How do you handle 3 little kids with your health problems?! I wish I had your stamina. Just hs'ing one and being reasonably healthy wipes me out!

That is too bad about your friends daughter, being diagnosed as a teenager is difficult. Please let her know I would love to chat as I have lots of experience with Fibro as a young adult.

As for how I "do" it, I have a lot of support from my friends and family. I also have a friend that lives with us and helps me with the kids during the day. Some days/months/years are so hard but having my kids makes it all worthwhile!

Marisa

mamabear
05-26-2010, 08:24 AM
I live in Nome, Alaska :D

I am new to this site as well, but I have been homeschooling for years.

Nice to meet you :)

Snoopy
05-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Welcome Mama Bear as well! All I know about Nome comes from the Balto movie :)

Green Vixen
05-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Hi Mamabear,

Welcome to SHS! Wow Nome, you are really in the middle of nowhere! Have you been there long? We have been in Alaska for 5 years and I am getting pretty tired of the long winters. Do you have twins? Mine are 20 months and things are finally getting a bit more manageable. How did you do it???? There is an Alaska group under the groups tab at the top of the page, come join me since I am the only one there right now :)

Marisa

StartingOver
05-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Hi Marisa,
Oh I miss Alaska. I have been outside for 7 years now. I hope to return next year to see family. Alaska has a huge homeschooling community, I fought others like me no matter where I was in the state.

StartingOver
05-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Welcome Mamabear
My step mother was born in Nome ! I have been there a few times. I hope to bring my younger children up there very soon.

Snoopy
05-27-2010, 11:35 PM
I fought others like me no matter where I was in the state. LOL Jana, did you mean "found"? Because if there is a League of Secular Homeschooler Fighters, I'd like to enroll in it :) I'd imagine it would it be like the American Gladiators where we fight non-secular homeschoolers with giant Q-tip like things, or we run obstacle courses through the Calvary. Sorry, I'm feeling kinda silly, must be the sugar and chemicals from the peach jelly rings I just ate, rotting my brain :)

pandahoneybee
05-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Welcome Mama Bear as well! All I know about Nome comes from the Balto movie :)

Yes welcome Mama bear! And I love the Balto movie;)

StartingOver
05-28-2010, 12:11 PM
LOL Jana, did you mean "found"? Because if there is a League of Secular Homeschooler Fighters, I'd like to enroll in it :) I'd imagine it would it be like the American Gladiators where we fight non-secular homeschoolers with giant Q-tip like things, or we run obstacle courses through the Calvary. Sorry, I'm feeling kinda silly, must be the sugar and chemicals from the peach jelly rings I just ate, rotting my brain :)

LOL Yes, I meant found. My fingers get ahead of me sometimes. Sending them for a time out !! ( blush )

dbmamaz
05-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi, Marisa, this is Cara w the teen daughter w fibro . . . but yesterday she had her first pain-free day in 3 months! Hopefully we're rounding a corner out of flare and in to remission . . .wish us luck!