PDA

View Full Version : Perspective is 99% of reality

clancariens
12-20-2011, 10:01 PM
At tae kwon do tonight my soon to be teenaged son told another student that we are homeschooling cause it's "easier for my mom". It's a lot of things but easier certa,inly isn't one of them! I thought I was doing homeschooling for THEM. But, apparently it's all for me. :rolleyes:

MarkInMD
12-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Yeah, easy isn't the first word I think of, either.

Crabby Lioness
12-21-2011, 01:33 AM
That's where it helps to have a spouse who teaches school and sees what the students there have to deal with. Compared to the damage control we'd be dealing with if they were in school, this is easy.

Tonight the 12yo locked herself in her room to "clean it up", but the giggles gave away that she was really reading books. The 10yo colored pictures, studied her atlas, and quizzed her Dad about the plants and animals in various climates. It's finally cold enough for me to pull out the afghan-in-progress I put away in the spring so I started crocheting that again while the 3yo played with his blocks and his cars, and Dad cooked a shrimp and pasta salad. I couldn't help thinking how calm and peaceful we were with not having to deal with school-related explosive decompression.

clancariens
12-21-2011, 07:05 AM
I agree that not having all the school-related horror is definitely easier. But the actual homeschooling -- and what it does to the millions of other things that need doing is NOT easier than having them gone all day. He even went on to describe how it would have been too hard for me to have a homeschooled kid, a middle school kid and an elementary school kid. And for him, it is also easier -- no mindless repetition, no waiting around for others to catch up, assignments he can personalize, working at his own pace and to his learning style, no homework or useless worksheets, few tests but no grades and no standardized testing. An online friend asked him a question about homework to which he replied "dude, think about it, it's all homework". True. We met up with friends at Disney World this past week and their kids had SO much work to complete because they were absent from their daily routine. There was no way they were going to make it all up by Monday. My kids had nothing to do but enjoy their vacation. Our pace of life is slower. So that, is easier. And better for everyone's education, and state of mind. Maybe I should tell him if he is going to sum it up in one word he should use "better"!

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
12-21-2011, 06:01 PM
You could take it as a compliment. You must make it all look easy to your son... 'cause you have it all together. :)

Gabriela
12-21-2011, 06:11 PM
I've made a point to always show my work to my son.
Every time I research, print out worksheets, write up my own activities, make a new schedule, I make him a part of it.
I even sometimes have him do read alouds from my hs blog posts.
There's no way I'm doing all this unnoticed by the person I'm doing it for.
As a result, he's aware of how hard I work at it, which gives me some leverage when I'm asking him to do his part of the work.
And, when he's in his super sweet mood, he even thanks me for homeschooling him.

Btw, your son sounds pretty cool. Maybe he was just speaking mindlessly, as they often do with their friends.
My son recently told someone that I'm on facebook all day. I wanted to strangle him. It's so not true. Most of my time on the computer is for hs.

KristinK
12-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Gabriela, that's a good idea to make your son aware of all you're doing...I got the "all you do is play on the computer!" comment from my dd8 too. Yes, some of it is play, but alot of it is work too!! :D

I love how kids see things, even if some of what they say is frustrating. dd8 has also said that when she grows up she wants to "stay home and do nothing like Mom does". thanks kid. LOL.

Avalon
12-22-2011, 12:07 AM
I often tell people that I homeschool because it's easier. I hated having to follow the school schedule when my daughter was in school, getting her up when she wasn't ready, packing her a lunch that she may or may not eat, trying to figure out what exactly was going on at recess, explaining why the rules at school are different than the rules at home, doing the myriad "mommy homework" tasks like filling out forms, checking off boxes, and sending things back and forth.

Yes, I do a lot of work to make homeschool successful, but at least it's work I choose and enjoy, as opposed to the drudgery of feeling like my only important contribution was just getting my kid to and from the place where all the important stuff supposedly happens.

I definitely feel that homeschooling is easier.

Gabriela
12-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Yes, I do a lot of work to make homeschool successful, but at least it's work I choose and enjoy, as opposed to the drudgery of feeling like my only important contribution was just getting my kid to and from the place where all the important stuff supposedly happens.

That's exactly how I felt when my son was in school.
And I also love all the homeschool work, it turns my brain on.

clancariens
12-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Good points everyone -- and I do think it was sort of a compliment or at least a little compassion maybe? Yeah, MonkeyMamma, I have it ALL together ;-) Point being, I don't think they notice when I screw it up! I do enjoy the work too. What I need is a maid. If I could have a maid to pick up that slack, I'd be golden. Plus another little talk about why we are homeschooling might benefit the offspring again. Kinda like a new year refocus.