PDA

View Full Version : Hi, from New York

Pauline
05-23-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm planning on homeschooling my 13 yr old next year.
She just spent a year in an inclusive special ed classroom in 7th grade where they never once looked through (or at)
a microscope. In a small group of six kids I would think two special ed teachers would be able to handle
showing them how to use a microscope and actually look at plant cells.

I just graduated with my masters in teaching Social Studies, grds 5-12.
I also trained in special education. She and I are both special ed students. Regardless, I have been able, with
knowledge and forethought and hard work, been able to get my BA with awards in academic excellence and
magna cum laude in Athropology, and now my masters with an academic excellence award in Social Studies.

So, to all the parents out there wringing hands over their special ed/ADHD kids, we can have a glorious educational success.

Mind you, I was the C- student, who's 4th grade teacher told my parents I was dumb.
And barely graduated high school. My math comprehension is still at 7th grade, but I know how to tip at a restaurant.
Seriously, that's all you need to know.

pandahoneybee
05-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Welcome Pauline to the group! I too have a ADHD child who had alot of problems in public school, we pulled him out in the 5th grade and haven't looked back! You will do great as will your daugther! I love the opportunties that homeschooling gives us. This is a great forum to be a part of and everyone here is super friendly and helpful!

BPier12
05-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi Pauline and Welcome! You will find this forum to be a great source of support and information. I'm glad you are here!

Snoopy
05-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Welcome to the group and congrats on all your accomplishments! I hope homeschooling will prove as rewarding to you and your daughter as it has been for us :)

amphibology29
05-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Welcome! I'm pretty new here, too, and it's been a fabulous place to find. Congratulations on all of your accomplishments; it sounds like you are a great motivator and inspiration for your daughter!

Shoe
05-24-2010, 02:37 AM
Welcome to the site Pauline. I'm also homeschooling a 13 year old, and about to add my 11 year old to the mix as well. I look forward to your thoughts and perspective on things. This is a great place with a lot of good people!

Cheers.

reversemigration
05-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Welcome, Pauline - it's inspiring to hear your story, and I know that your daughter will benefit from your experience!

Topsy
05-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Welcome to the site, Pauline! It is wonderful to have you here. I'm homeschooling two teen boys who each have special needs (one with Asperger's and dyslexia, one with Tourette Syndrome). It is truly wonderful being able to meet their specific educational needs at home. Best decision we ever made.

A few groups on site you might be interested in...
New York Group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=44)
One of our special needs groups (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?do=grouplist&cat=8) (or create your own!)
Homeschooling Middle School
(http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=13)
Happy homeschooling!!!!

Topsy

dbmamaz
05-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Pauline, my older son was in a gifted program the first half of 4th grade, and then in stand-alone emotionally disturbed class in 5th, then middle school was an autism home room and a variety of levels of subject classes . . . and a lot of denentions and suspensions and calling home hysterical and upping the meds. This year we home schooled, and while I"m not sure he actually learned more, I dont think he learned less, and it certainly was easier on everyone! I hope home schooling is a great thing for you and your daughter!