PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Menus!

dbmamaz
12-20-2011, 09:03 AM
I'll post later, I'm still in bed, but I've been struggling a bit with ideas . . .what do you have planned?

Pefa
12-20-2011, 10:24 AM
So far the only food requested is mashed potatoes. I don't think I can get away with just serving that though. If I can get a goose I'll roast that, otherwise it will be venison and tons of veggies.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
12-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Lasagna with Italian sausage and green peppers (Christmas colors!), homemade rolls, and salad. Christmas cookies for dessert. Normally I make a cake, but I'm not going to bother this year since we're not having any company on Christmas Day (that's another story).

KristinK
12-20-2011, 10:59 AM
I've been torn about this. I really want to develop a good xmas Eve meal that we can have as "our" traditional meal, but my kids are so flipping picky that I have failed.

We're hosting xmas eve (us, inlaws, sister-in-law/dh/daughter). We'll be doing a raclette - cheese quesadillas for the kids (who hate stinky cheese), adn tradtional potatoes/cheese/dried-meat/salad for the adults. I wanted to do something fancier but DH is determined that we stick with simple. he's probably right ;)

for dessert it will be cranberry/skor/butter tart bars, and a mix of xmas cookies the kids and I have baked.

MIL is hosting xmas day and it will be turkey and all the fixin's.

we'll going to see my family over NYs and will be having a meal of homemade tourtiere, etc, as well as a meal of traditional lithuanian foods. YUM.

Accidental Homeschooler
12-20-2011, 11:56 AM
We are going with ham (sometimes we do a turkey), brussel sprout slaw with cranberries, some kind of potato and yams, spiced peaches and we are going to try to get kransekake (not sure if I spelled that right) made. Dd will probably make some pies. For Christmas eve we make a bunch of appetizers. This year each of us is making one. Dh is making pigs in blankets.

dbmamaz
12-20-2011, 12:31 PM
xmas even i like pizza, so I made some yesterday and put half in the freezer. Heron wasnt here, so she'll have to go get pizza at the store. I'm sure she'll be happy - that means her crust will have gluten in it!

Xmas breakfast i'm determined to make cinnamon swirl buns, and of course turkey bacon. I also want sausage gravy on biscuits, but i havent come up w good gfcf biscuits yet, and i'm afraid Orion and I will be the only ones eating it. and i'll probably need to leave some sausage out of the gravy for dh, who loves sausage and hates gravy - and bacon. Fresh fruit. eggs to order because Raven requested eggs (i was a short order cook once, a long time ago)

Heron requested teh spiced pecans and baked caramel corn be available as desserts (and mid day snacks!)

Dinner is a ham, probably mashed and sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, some sort of veggie, maybe carrot soup, and cranberry apple crisp (w quinoa flakes).

sound like too much for the 5 of us?! plus we all get chocolate for xmas, except for dh, who gets pistachios . . .

Busygoddess
12-20-2011, 12:59 PM
We're doing finger foods for Christmas, all day. I had decided on finger foods, because it would be easy to eat them while on safari to find our presents. Now, I'm really glad I chose finger foods because the kids will be able to make the entire menu, if I can't. They're good in the kitchen, but some of the fancier I do is still beyond them. It finally snowed over the weekend, and I found the only patch of ice while walking the dog. My back, neck, and head have been killing me for days. So, I'm not sure if I'll be up to cooking. Anyway, we're having...........

mini turkey meatballs in cranberry bbq sauce
mini phyllo cups filled with a mix of cream cheese and mascarpone - half with crab meat and fresh dill mixed in & shrimp on top; the other half with diced fruit (pineapple, mango, cherry, & orange) & fresh mint
spiced roasted nuts
cookies
mushroom, spinach, & cheese stuffed pork loin (will be cut into slices we can then stab with a toothpick, so still qualifies as finger food)
bagel sticks & bagel balls
a cheese tray with 2 cheeses (I figure we really only need 2 since it's just the 4 of us) and slices of homemade artisan bread
fruit

jess
12-20-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm working on Christmas, so tomorrow we're celebrating Yule-nnukah, opening presents (the ones that have arrived by that point, anyways, and having traditional Yule-nnukah foods - zucchini-parsnip latkes and, if I can figure them out, gluten-free sufganiyot. Hmm, and maybe I'll morph the "peanut butter and jelly sandwich" recipe from Paleo Comfort Foods into a yule log. I'm totally doing that. (We have Jewish-by-heritage but beyond unobservant religiously housemates who will greatly appreciate having pork on Hannukah.)

Christmas dinner is going to happen on actual Christmas, after I get home from work. At this point, it will involve ham (because the baby is allergic to turkey) and cranberry sauce. Probably mashed cauliflower. No clue what else - not really my responsibility since I'll be at work all weekend (with holiday pay both days, so I'm not complaining!), though I'll do some on Friday.

Busygoddess
12-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Oops, forgot to add latkes to my list. Dea is studying religions & right now she's studying Judaism. So, we figured we'd try out some Jewish recipes. She wants to make latkes for Christmas.

Batgirl
12-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Right now, duck and peanut butter balls. My standards get lower every year. :_p:

I'll edit this when I figure out more.

baker
12-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Christmas morning we have a egg casserole (prepared the night before) and coffee cake.
During the day we'll have snacks (dips, cheese/crackers, cookies, candies...yikes)
Dinner is ham, cheesy pototoes, asparagus, green bean casserole (not my fave, but kids like it) and rolls
Dessert is a cranberry/apple cobbler recipe I found. I doubt my kids will eat it, but it looked pretty.

I am pretty traditional and my kids are at an extremely picky age. If it was up to them, we would have Kraft mac/cheese and chicken fingers!

I am sure there will be a fair amount of wine to go along with all of this!

Diet starts later....

jess
12-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Right now, duck and peanut butter balls. My standards get lower every year. :_p:

I'll edit this when I figure out more.

That's horribly amusing if you read them as a single item rather than two separate dishes.

(Of course, the "peanut butter and jelly sandwich" Yule Log I mentioned in my post is a pork/almond butter/fruit roll, so I suppose this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black :)).

mommykicksbutt
12-20-2011, 03:37 PM
For christmas hubby wants ham, sonny wants a turducken, so we're having both. We'll have company too, still don't know how many, they're single sailors and marines, last year we had 2 but there are more stationed here this year so we may take in more for the day.
With the ham will be scalloped pineapple; with the birds will be cornbread dressing, gravy, and cranberry sauce.
also layered pea salad, deviled eggs, homemade bread rolls with whipped butter, rosemary roasted veggies (green beans, zucchini, carrots, onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms), steamed sweet potatoes with apples and sherry soaked currents, mashed potatoes, chocolate almond torte, and baked apples with dessert sherry topping (tastes like raisins and is super sweet). Wines, sherrys, and sparkling ciders to drink.
So basically I'm making two holiday meals at the same time.
For snacking throughout the day while waiting for the main feature is a cheese ball and assorted crackers, date log, crudites and dip, and garlic stuffed olives.

CatInTheSun
12-20-2011, 04:10 PM
That's horribly amusing if you read them as a single item rather than two separate dishes.

I had the same thought initially -- was it a plate with duck balls and PB balls, or did you somehow wrap the duck around the peanut butter? Then my brain turned on. :o

Christmas Eve is always swedish meatballs (I make enough to freeze a batch for New Years). Probably with mashed potatoes, since we still have a bag from T'day. Christmas morning is always swedish pancakes, with berries and whipped cream and homemade syrups. Christmas Day is Prime Rib. Yum!

Just us this year. :D

JinxieFox
12-20-2011, 06:54 PM
For our Yule/Solstice dinner, we're keeping it simple: just ham and mashed potatoes, and a veggie or two. I'll make some cranberry bread, because our commissary finally got fresh cranberries (yay!).

Today I made sugar cookies for the first time ever and they came out surprisingly well. We had fun decorating them while watching "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer". My husband was pretty tipsy, which made the decorating that much more fun, as he said things like, "Donner is Rudolph's dad? I thought they were the same age. I had no idea Donner was Rudolph's father!"

I just shrugged and said, "Nobody knew Darth Vader was Luke's father." It turned into a comparison of Donner and Darth Vader, and then griping about what an intolerant jerk Santa is in the much-loved holiday special.

Wait, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, food. :D I should probably pick up some Pillsbury cinnamon buns to make on Solstice morning for a special treat.

dbmamaz
12-20-2011, 06:56 PM
actually heron mentioned in an email that she was craving latkes. somehow i was thinking my mom would make them - but really, i used to make the best latkes, but the last time i tried a gf recipe, they were awful . . . hmmm

farrarwilliams
12-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Okay, we finally got a general plan for ours...

Christmas Eve is going to be all noshes, cheeses, dips, crackers and a ham.

Christmas breakfast is going to be crepes (Mushroom is making them), quiche and more of that ham.

Christmas dinner my mother is doing, but she's doing our traditional - standing rib roast, mashed potatoes, salad, French beans, yeast rolls. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

I'm on my third batch of cookies of the day. One more to go.

Pefa
12-20-2011, 07:16 PM
I've been torn about this. I really want to develop a good xmas Eve meal that we can have as "our" traditional meal, but my kids are so flipping picky that I have failed.

We're hosting xmas eve (us, inlaws, sister-in-law/dh/daughter). We'll be doing a raclette - cheese quesadillas for the kids (who hate stinky cheese), adn tradtional potatoes/cheese/dried-meat/salad for the adults. I wanted to do something fancier but DH is determined that we stick with simple. he's probably right ;)

Raclette, yum. I won't be doing it for xmas eve but soon we'll have to pull out my mom's raclette machine and have ourselves a feast.

kailuamom67
12-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Breakfast -maybe

bread pudding made with crossants

Dinner

Prime rib
Mashed Potatoes
Green beans with panchetta and mushrooms
Cesar Salad
My mom's cranberry almond tart (she dies in 2000, so this is always at the holiday table in her honor).

Laina
12-20-2011, 08:01 PM
We host a Christmas Eve cocktail party and plan to serve kielbasa (in the slow cooker), cheese fondue, and various hors d'oeurves. For Christmas morning I make this make-ahead French toast.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/make-ahead-french-toast/detail.aspx

Tayonoss
12-20-2011, 08:08 PM
for Christms eve we do our " traditional turkey meal with all the fixings". This was we have left overs on Christmas day and I dont have to spend the whole day cooking :)
I will cook a large breakfast Christmas morning, usually eggs, bacon, ham and some sort of cinnamon buns or something. Other than that they kids have a bunch of cookies and snacks to snack on.

skrink
12-20-2011, 08:10 PM
We're going simple. I am bound and determined to have a relaxing holiday. As much as I love to cook I'd like to see more of the house than just the kitchen this year. Christmas Eve will be appetizers and spiced cider. Christmas Day will be cinnamon rolls in the a.m. and ham for midday. I'm still deciding on sides - mashed sweet potatoes, rolls, beets, and some kind of greens. Cookies for dessert. Used to do a turkey or a standing rib roast, but for the 3 of us it seems silly.

dbmamaz
12-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Oh, i was just thinking about beets . . . hmmm

Virginia
12-20-2011, 08:55 PM
We haven't done a holiday at our house since we moved home. We spend EVERY holiday with DH's family. DH decided we were doing Christmas dinner at our house this year. He likes things his way. His family is 7-day advent and don't eat pork products, which makes him nuts. Last Christmas he made his scalloped potatoes to bring with us (which are the stuff dreams are made of) and he sneaked some bacon into it and told his super bible-beating sister that it was artificial bacon bits and she ate it. NOt sure what possible satisfaction he got from that, but it made him smile. Anyway...menu: baked ham, scalloped potatoes, pies, my grandma's homemade carrot cake and my world famous deviled eggs.

Stella M
12-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Prawns

Cold Meats ( Ham, chicken )

Salads

Homemade bread

Pavlova

Christmas cake

Mince Pies

KristinK
12-20-2011, 09:34 PM
mmm this thread is making me hungry! so many yummy ideas :) now I need to add beet salad to our xmas eve dinner.

and Virginia I can't believe your hubby tricked his sister into eating bacon! are they coming to eat?

and turducken...I never actually *knew* someone that cooked that! I was trying to get DH to make a traditional Victorian xmas pie, after we watched it on the Victorian Christmas special...mmmm all those birds wrapped up in pie...

dragonfly
12-21-2011, 03:21 AM
My mom is doing dinner buffet style, so: sweet and sour meatballs, sandwiches, various breads and pies, chips, salad...

I'm planning on making gluten free Scrabble. I recently found gf pretzel sticks in the supermarket (yay!), so the only thing I really have to leave out is the Wheat Chex. No big loss. My late Nana always used to make it at xmas time before she passed about 12 years ago, so I think everyone will enjoy having it again.

dbmamaz
12-21-2011, 11:03 AM
You can use the corn chex, or the rice chex, or even the cinnamon chex i think is gf, and the nut one too

Accidental Homeschooler
12-21-2011, 03:23 PM
For christmas hubby wants ham, sonny wants a turducken, so we're having both.

I loved the ham in Spain. I am so jealous.

Virginia
12-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Kristin, you have to meet his family to fully appreciate the humor in it I guess lol. And no...thank goodness. They're having dinner at his parents' house and we are going over after dinner for the gift exchange. Although his dad is making brisket which makes me drool just thinking about it, so I'll probably steal some of that when we go over.

Virginia
12-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Turducken??? a combo turkey, duck and chicken? Ok...gotta google it.

dbmamaz
12-22-2011, 11:06 AM
I want to know how you serve it . . . .

Virginia
12-22-2011, 09:58 PM
I googled it last night...I was unimpressed. It didn't look particularly appetizing...but hey that's just me.

Gabriela
12-24-2011, 01:01 PM
We eat tamales on the 24th - traditionally eaten at midnight.
On the 25th - turkey, mashed sweet potatoes, baked potatoes, roasted carrot and garlic, buttered turnips, and dh's amazing gravy.
Cookies, apples, spiced pineapple cake, and Guatemalan fruit punch (hot with rum).

lynne
12-24-2011, 11:05 PM
I made chocolate fondue. It's become a tradition for us on Christmas eve. DH burnt it:(. I was so disappointed. I didn't have all the ingredients to remake it. They still ate it from the top but I couldn't. It tasted burnt to me! Oh well. I didn't need the calories I suppose.

dbmamaz
12-25-2011, 10:42 AM
My breakfast sticky buns were a total fail . . . But the biscuits were amazing! All gluten and dairy free of course