PDA

View Full Version : International travel, geography cirriculum to prepare us for the trip! Ireland +

Dutchbabiesx2
12-19-2011, 01:03 PM
I am very excited to HS this year and get to do our international travel again! Our last big trip we went to Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro and The Netherlands (were we always end up!). We were not HS at that time.

This year we start in Dublin Ireland end of April! I want to do France and Switzerland. The Netherlands is our home away from home and we will spend time with family there and in Belgium. We will be away from 6-8 weeks. I'd be gone for 6 months if my hubby could work over there.

We might get a side trip to Helsinki Finland and then St. Petersburg in Russia, but I won't know until next year.

I mostly want to get some good geography studies in and also some culture study. My ancestors are Irish, and I named my younger son, 8yr old, a good Irish name, Finnian.

So- if you have some good study ideas for an 8 and 9 year old, or you are a traveling HS'er and have advice, please chime in.

The actual travel part is the easy part, they've been traveling international since 10 weeks old. I took them both ways last time, it only took 42 hours, 4 countries, 3 flights, 2 missed connection, 1 extra overnight to get to Hungary! Both boys did great, no complaints and they dragged their own luggage. I learned it is about my ability to just deal with what comes our way and know that a credit card can take care of a lot of issues.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
12-19-2011, 01:28 PM
It sounds like it's going to be a great trip! I don't have any specific book recs, but how about some Celtic myths for Ireland? France has lots of cool places that would be interesting to kids, the chateaux in the Loire valley, Mont Saint Michel, the cave paintings at Lascaux and maybe kid's versions of books like The Three Musketeers or Hunchback of Notre Dame. Switzerland... um, my kids loved Heidi. :)

Busygoddess
12-20-2011, 01:39 PM
I don't know if this will help, but you might get some inspiration or ideas from it.
A few years ago, step-mom #1 was going on a trip across several of the western states & asked to take dd with her. I agreed, of course. Between the fact that we homeschool & my step-mom is a teacher, we decided to take advantage of the educational aspects. She provided me with a list of the places they were going - zoos, national parks, historical sites, etc, and I researched them. We printed off info about each place, went over the basics of each place with dd, even printed activity pages when we could find them. She took a binder/accordion folder with that had everything we had printed out, so she could read about each place on the way. She kept a journal in which she wrote about her trip, at least one thing she learned each day, and a list of all the animals they saw. We also let her take one of our cameras, and she took tons of pictures.

So, maybe if you already know where you'll be visiting, you could do something similar. Just an idea.

Dutchbabiesx2
06-13-2012, 01:25 AM
We've gotten home from a great adventure. you can see some photos here: http://worldschooler.ontheroad.to/worldschooler/
I will add more later and post them as well!!!! we did really well and saw a lot!
I suggest it to anyone thinking of it. This is our 2nd big trip and our 4th European trip.
Just like the Micheal Franti song goes, " the more I see the less I know" . . .for me the more I see the more I want to know!

farrarwilliams
06-13-2012, 07:24 AM
We did this for our trip to Africa. I sat down and planned it myself and I ended up basing it around picture books. But some of that was from a lack of good other resources.

hockeymom
06-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Looks like you had a great adventure!