PDA

View Full Version : Music?

dbmamaz
12-18-2011, 11:13 PM
As much as I struggle to connect to art in any real way, music is the art i find meaningful. Not probbaly suprising, mathematicains tend to understand the language of music.

so i'm looking for ideas - esp for Raven.

Ok, so Orion took choir in school, and this year he started in a home school choir class. He had also wanted to play sax for years, but said acoustic guitar was ok (sax's were too expensive), so i got him a guitar and a 'teach yourself to play' book for xmas maybe 4 years ago? or 3? I told him if he worked his way through the book (and I helped some, esp w tuning), i would get him lessons. We did some group lessons through the county. and then my mom managed to borrow a sax for him, and payed for lessons over the summer, and now he's in a homeschool band. So i feel like thats enough.

Raven - he took a singing and dancing class when he was 4, and LOVED it, and was really quick at learning the songs and good at holding a melody. But then he's refused anything musical at all. I mean, Heron and I used to sing together all the time, and Orion at least tried, but Raven gets mad if we even sing around him. He plunked around on the piano a bit when Heron was taking lessons, but if I suggest lessons, he wont touch the piano again for like a year.

The past year or two, Raven spends a lot of time watching videos on youtube, mostly of videogames, and often they have background pop or rock music. He's definitely developing likes and dislikes, but he's basically a hard rock guy - always has been. He'll sometimes make me keep playing particularly rocking songs if we get home before its done.

He told me over the summer that the only instrument he ever wants to play is the electric guitar. I asked someone at the place ORion was taking lessons, and he said they can start as young as 6, but he suggests 8-10. And then Raven turned 8, but doesnt seem to think he's ready yet. I keep meaning to get out Orion's acoustic, but keep forgetting.

but tonight he was singing me a theme song . .. something about the way he sang it, i felt like he could 'see' the notes, the intervals. It made me REALLY want to teach him to read music. Which might be silly considering he's still only reading books at a 2nd grade level.

so . .. i guess i'm wondering if anyone has any ideas . . preferably electronic? computer or wii or ds based? i guess i'll search some more, too, but i'm tired and i'm sure dh would be all stressed out if I tried to talk to him about it so I came here . . . lol

kailuamom67
12-19-2011, 12:32 AM
My DS teaches himself a lot of guitar stuff on you tube. Almost any song you like, you can find someone on you tube to show you how to play it. We had him in lessons for a while before he was ready (8), he didn't learn too much. After taking a break from lessons, he really lit up using you tube. It helps that we have lots of instruments, and he has unlimited access. That said, there are some really good resources and books that he can use to learn. oh, we bought him a cheap 3/4 size, which helped with fingering but sounded terrible. He used it for a year or two, now only uses standard size.

kailuamom67
12-19-2011, 12:33 AM
Oh - the games and stuff didn't work for us. What worked was learning chords and fingering for songs he liked.

Virginia
12-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Raven sounds a lot like Nate. Nate even went so far as to put his hand over his sister's mouth when she sings (my girls LOVE to sing). He also loves the hard rock stuff you are likely to hear on say...oh...a videogame perhaps? *rolls her eyes*

So anyway, we got Music Ace which teaches them to read music. It is piano based, but piano is basically just one giant scale so it's mostly learning to read music. It helped him a lot when he decided to take sax, which he loves.

dbmamaz
12-19-2011, 10:37 AM
thanks, i'd seen music ace and have it on my amazon wishlist. maybe i just need to be more patient? but i also feel bad because there really isnt that much music around, anyways. With 5 of us,its hard to agree, plus we all spend a lot of time playing video games or watching videos with headphones on. and i havent really played anything in a long, long time . . .

Accidental Homeschooler
12-19-2011, 10:54 AM
My 6yo is learning to read music and doing really well with it and she is not reading much yet. It is sort of strange to me how reading is so slow and reading music is going much faster. She loves it.

dbmamaz
12-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Julie, what are you using to teach her, tho?

dbmamaz
12-21-2011, 12:56 PM
so, i found an ap - mynotegames - and we actually got Raven playing Orion's acoustic guitar for a bit, and practicing a timed music reading game. cool!