PDA

View Full Version : Mom, we are sick of christmas break can we have lessons again

ercswf
12-17-2011, 05:31 PM
It has only been a week and last night while my husband and I were talking about our holiday plans and such our boys interrupted us and declared their christmas break over. My plan was them to take off till Jan 2 or so. Guess I need to rethink this. They lasted 1 whole week on break and have declared it over.

Maybe I'll just give them some drill pages to do or something to finish up the month.

Stella M
12-17-2011, 06:51 PM
I have a daughter like this who enjoys her recreation much more in combination with some work.

Is there some holiday appropriate 'work' you can give your boys to do in the morning so they can enjoy their leisure the rest of the day ?

I'm thinking physical work :)

Gabriela
12-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Same thing here!
We are too excited about starting 4th grade to take a whole month off.
It makes me very happy.

Jeni
12-17-2011, 09:48 PM
We took two months off around the holidays last year (we had no summer vacation) and I won't be doing that again. We are doing lessons right through the holidays. Other then obvious days where we are busy doing holiday stuff. I just don't see a reason to not keep going. They got time off while I was sick and it was nice out, so I don't feel bad.

JinxieFox
12-18-2011, 05:54 AM
That is too cute, ercswf! Sometimes a bit of light work is nice through holidays and breaks. :)

OrganicFrmGrl
12-18-2011, 10:15 AM
I think we are working through the holiday season this year. We kind figured it out that if we do we will be done by early April. Winters are wet and crappy here so if we are done early we can enjoy more time outside in the spring!

dbmamaz
12-18-2011, 11:18 AM
i NEED the break, but Orion is starting to be bored already . . .and we had school on friday! I plan to make them each do an hour of SOMETHING vaguely educational over break, and Orion needs to keep reading 25 pages of science each week because we fell behind on science and he has to finish his dissection book before the class starts in Feb.

inmom
12-18-2011, 12:54 PM
I think we are working through the holiday season this year. We kind figured it out that if we do we will be done by early April. Winters are wet and crappy here so if we are done early we can enjoy more time outside in the spring!

We are similar here--better to be done in May and enjoy the great weather than to take a long break when it's 18 degrees and icky outside. My kids also don't like a long holiday break; they get bored. We're doing "school-lite." They've requested to continue with their math. My dd will work on her revisions to her novel she did through NaNoWriMo. Both will be getting a start on 4-H projects for the summer fair, study materials for an academic competition they have in March, and write out possible interview questions and answers as they both want to job shadow, apprentice, or part-time job search when the new year starts.

dbmamaz
12-18-2011, 01:02 PM
oh, we do take 4 week breaks every quarter. _I_ need them. I get SOO burnt out with the constant planning and pushing and business.

camaro
12-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Wow, if any of my three boys ever said something like that I would take it as a sign of some kind of serious psychological problem. Asking to do any kind of school work is something that just doesn't happen around here.

Batgirl
12-18-2011, 02:10 PM
oh, we do take 4 week breaks every quarter. _I_ need them. I get SOO burnt out with the constant planning and pushing and business.

Me too! I need to put us on that kind of schedule.

KristinK
12-18-2011, 02:39 PM
LOL David, here too. I'd think someone was sick if they actually ASKED for school on a day-off!! mine are thrilled to be on break now, and we started early by barely accomplishing anything this past week. I'm going to try to slide in a few math games and scrabble sessions this week, and some science videos, but beyond that we're OFF.

I'm in the "I need a break!" camp. It's SO nice to not be prepping workboxes everynight, especially since I've been crafting a bunch of stuff for my dd's bday this week, as well as for different xmas gifts. Add to that baking and other prep and it is so nice to have one thing removed from the list!

ercswf
12-18-2011, 04:08 PM
I set up stuff for my oldest son a week a time with extra weeks in a box sorted by weeks for him to pull and work on as he see's fit. Both my boys are a little odd in that department. They LIKE school work as long as it does not come with a school building. They are also trying to come up with some ideas for businesses they can start. My oldest cleans my sisters house for a little extra cash. (Oh, and yes they clean here to AND have a spotless and organized bedroom!) In many ways I am blessed but in others I feel I need a break.

They were so desperate for school that they played "homeschool" with a kid that was over yesterday. Poor kid had to deal with PS all week and then do homeschool on a day off....

Right now I think my only option is to do just start making time off for me packets for them to work on.

dbmamaz
12-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Oh, but that was a typo - we take TWO weeks off every quarter, not four

ercswf
12-18-2011, 04:39 PM
I'd be cool with two.... Now to come up with a way to make them stop whining after one....

theWeedyRoad
12-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Wow, if any of my three boys ever said something like that I would take it as a sign of some kind of serious psychological problem. Asking to do any kind of school work is something that just doesn't happen around here.

Thank goodness you said that!

Mine haven't been on break yet, but I was considering starting tomorrow. When I suggested it, eyes got big and "YES!!". Letting them know they hadn't earned their bookit! certifs yet didn't seem to phase them.

*sigh* No overachievers here.

ercswf
12-18-2011, 07:22 PM
These are the kids that I had to pull from the van kicking and screaming to get them into class, that ran away from the building on multiple occasions(brought home to me in the back of squad cars once found) and had meltdowns so horrible that one lady told me thank you when I pulled them from school.

Trust me this was not a problem I anticipated happening. We are half way through our second year and they are getting more and more against taking breaks. Hubby handled them today so I could get some work done on the solstice presents I am making. Building a bed and making 2 quilts in couple of weeks is kinda time consuming.

Avalon
12-19-2011, 12:20 AM
I'd be cool with two.... Now to come up with a way to make them stop whining after one....

I read this to my husband, and he said to throw them in a snowbank :) He thinks that's the solution for most whining, though.

christineoc
12-19-2011, 04:38 PM
I set up stuff for my oldest son a week a time with extra weeks in a box sorted by weeks for him to pull and work on as he see's fit. Both my boys are a little odd in that department. They LIKE school work as long as it does not come with a school building. They are also trying to come up with some ideas for businesses they can start. My oldest cleans my sisters house for a little extra cash. (Oh, and yes they clean here to AND have a spotless and organized bedroom!) In many ways I am blessed but in others I feel I need a break.

Wow. Not only would I reach for the thermometer if DD (10) said she was tired of break, if her room were spotless and organized I would be certain she had been secretly lobotomized. I so envy you! I guess in the very unlikely event I DID have that problem, I'd search out some workbooks, puzzlebooks, that type of thing.

Busygoddess
12-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Both of my kids are like this. They don't even deal well with sick days. So, I always plan a little work for breaks and often buy Science kits just for our breaks. This is also why our scheduled breaks are so short & so few. Our Christmas break just started yesterday. They are expected to do Math and their hour of free reading every day. Of course, they also have to do their chores. They spent much of yesterday using one of the solar power kits we have. We're also hoping to do some of the experiments we haven't done yet for Science and some of the activities for History. This week has the food prep for Christmas dinner. Next week we have to make pies for big family Christmas. I'm hoping to get a good chunk of my coursework done over this break. Plus, we need to finalize plans for the changes we're making, and start finalizing our purchase list for next year (only about 2 months til I buy). So, all of that should keep us pretty busy during our break. Hopefully, I won't be hearing the 'B' word (in our house, saying you're bored generally gets you extra chores).

ercswf
12-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Well, today we had half our holiday stops and my kids complained that they hate me because I refuse to teach them when the ask to learn things.

Seeing as much of our family are ps teachers you can imagine how my night went.

Ayem
12-27-2011, 03:35 AM
Hah! Can't imagine this happening. I was feeling it was probably a good idea to get DD back into it in early Jan given our slow December, but DS is off school till the beginning of Feb and I can't imagine being able to get her to do anything if he wasn't. Actually I might start a thread on that. I'd be interested to know how parents who have both HS and PS kids handle holidays.

Rachel2717
01-31-2012, 01:43 AM
Wow, ercswf, I would LOVE to hear what a typical homeschool day is like for you. It sounds like your kids really enjoy whatever you're doing with them! I'd love to know how to get my son that motivated to enjoy homeschooling again!

ercswf
01-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Mostly they are those weird self motivated learners that I almost have to lock in a cage to stop them. The other half is that they don't always handle changes to their routine very well.

The main thing I did that made them LOVE to do the school stuff was to stop using alot of pre planned stuff for me and just winging it. Our language arts right now consists of making them write something, anything and then they go through the editing process and we touch on ideas during that. But I have them wright on anything under the son I can think of so it becomes multi subject work. The result is they are loving it.

Rachel2717
01-31-2012, 03:52 PM
That's a good idea. It seems like more and more people are 'winging it' and it's working out well for them. Maybe that's what I need to do! I've been searching for a 'magic curriculum' that my son will love, and I haven't found it yet!