PDA

View Full Version : time to regroup

baker
12-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Today we started our Christmas break. As the kids take the next two and a half weeks off, I plan to rethink, reorganize and regroup. When we started in August (our first year of homeschool), I really thought school-at-home, using a Classical curriculum would be what worked well for us. The kids had been in a Classical Christian school and, other than the over-the-top religious aspect, we liked what the kids were learning. But, it is not working in a home environment. Is it me, is it the relationship with the kids, am I a push-over??? Who knows, but it isn't working and I have been migrating towards a more eclectic, child-led focus. I am ditching my math (Saxon) and going to try Ray's Arithmetic and incorporate math games (there are several already wrapped and under the tree). I am reading up on CM approach. I have one child who LOVES history and be read to and another who loves games and reading. I am going to require more narration. Neither are great spellers, so I will continue with AAS. I also think I will stop with the Shurley English (too repetitive) and incorporate these skills into our narration of Lit and History. I will continue with SOTW and add as much supplemental liturature as I can get through our library.

I really want the kids to love learning, to not dread each time I say "we are starting school in a few minutes". I just always have this fear that some how I am going to screw them up and if dh and I should die and the kids are put in ps, they'll be behind.

Wish me luck!

Shoe
12-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Good luck.

I'm re-evaluating my methods for teaching my daughter too.

Laina
12-16-2011, 11:15 AM
This is such a natural time for transformation. I'm going to shake things up too. We've been doing FIAR, but for the past month at least we have lost our momentum. The rest of the year I am going to try new things--we're working on an Intellego Unit Study now. In the new year, I may try more of these, still row FIAR books but less often, and do a MBTP concept. I'm excited to take this break to map out the rest of the year. Really we have been doing very little the past couple of weeks--I am unorganized, there are too many activities and errands to do, and 4yo ds is quite the distraction. I'm hoping to hole up in January more and figure out a routine that keeps us productive.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
12-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Good luck, Patty! My kids are about the same ages as yours and they have really responded will to a CM approach, especially my son with ADHD. They love to be read to and enjoy the "living books", especially for history.

We started in September, 2010 with a pretty relaxed approach as far as scheduling. We have actually become more scheduled and added some extra subjects, such as spelling, grammar, and a formal science curriculum. It took the better of the first year to get to that point. I hope your new approach hits the right chord for your kids!

WindSong
12-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Patty, I could have written you post! We began homeschooling last year using a classical approach. By the time the holidays rolled around we were not enjoying school very much. Lessons were very dry and boring. We ditched Saxon math, too. :) We really changed things up for the rest of the year and it made a huge difference.

I find that I'm re-evaluating again this year. I am also looking into some of CM's principles for dd. I plan on incorporating narration, shorter lessons and a nature journal. I find that my kids change and I change too. What works one year, doesn't work the next. I love the flexibility and freedom we have as homeschoolers. Good luck, Patty. :)

dbmamaz
12-16-2011, 02:12 PM
My kids seem pretty happy w the curriculum, but they still resist when it's time to start school. But really, I'm ok with that . . I'm ok w school pushing slightly past your comfort zone, as long as its not pushing to the point of real resentment. Plus, who wuldnt rather play video games than write an essay?! (no one on my family . . .)

Good luck . . .i haven't heard of very many ppl who really like Saxon, tho I have heard of a few

KristinK
12-16-2011, 03:49 PM
good luck!! I'm also taking time off to regroup. We're pretty much on break now. I'm also looking into a more CM approach, and keep waiting for DH to finally print off and bring home my CM Study Guide! I need to udnerstand it a bit better, as I'm kinda lost. Also not entirely sure I can do more read-alouds, as the youngest is NOT in a book-friendly mode right now and gets pretty annoying if we spend too much time reading! We'll see though. I'm sure my eldest would love it, so I need to explore it, as what we're doing is boring and just not working.

Happy Holidays!

Staysee34
12-16-2011, 07:13 PM
Good Luck! I plan to re-evaluate how were doing things here, too. Our routine is good and most of the curriculum is working well for us but I need to do some tweaking and maybe try something else for Grammar. Leaning towards Growing with Grammar. Something that's sort and sweet works well with my kids.

lynne
12-16-2011, 08:08 PM
I find that my kids will often resist when I say it's time for school too, but then once they get started they seem to enjoy it and get interested in things.

dbmamaz
12-16-2011, 08:35 PM
can you let the youngest play with legos or whatever on the ground while you read the book? i let Raven do that in 1st grade, even, cuz he was late to really get in to books