PDA

View Full Version : Kid-Friendly Browsers

kristinabrooke
12-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Hi everyone. Just curious (I asked this on Facebook and would love to see your responses too).

Which is your favorite Kid-Safe Browser? Select one below or leave a comment telling us if you use another. Also let us know why you like the selected browser.

1. KidZui
2. Pikluk
3. Zoodles
4. Kido'z
5. Buddy Browser
6. Other (leave comment)

MrsLOLcat
12-14-2011, 08:56 PM
*shrug* My son uses Firefox on his netbook. My husband is an IT guy and set extremely strict DNS limits (I think that's right? I'm not a techie person). Anyway, DS can't even see ads for Facebook, let alone access the site... and once we were trying to look up videos for something for school, and we couldn't access one of the videos because *other* videos on the site *might* have been suspicious. I let him surf freely with the restriction that he's not allowed to download anything without permission.

I'll be brutally honest and say that I've never even heard of any of the ones you listed.

farrarwilliams
12-14-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't know much about the kid specific ones. My kids both just have Chrome on their computers. I made them a Google Site so they could access their links and I could update them and add things. We've talked about internet safety, but I don't worry too much. The worst thing that I feel like they could do would be to virus up their computers, which are almost dead anyway - that's why they're THEIR computers and not ours.

kristinabrooke
12-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Thanks for answering. We started with the kid safe browsers mainly because when I quit teaching two years ago we only had one computer as as a web designer and developer it would have been detrimental. I wanted something that could lock the rest of the computer while she played (granted she was really young and was only doing those Playschool Color games). So I downloaded Pikluk and we really liked it. If she accidentally hits a nothing happens because it locks all other programs. Then I found Kidzui and Zoodle and tried those because PikLuk only allowed a few sites. She has my old computer now and it's a Windows computer. I stuck with the kid-friendly browsers so I don't have to worry about ads, mistyped sites, viruses, Trojans, etc.

Anyway, I was just curious as to what others use/do.

Shoe
12-15-2011, 07:16 AM
I'd never heard of kid safe browsers before. For what age groups are they useful? If your kids do a lot of research on line, would these browsers allow access to a lot of sites, or is it pretty limited?

StephSchiff
12-15-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm interested in one that isn't TOO restrictive. We've tried and uninstalled a few because he wasn't able to find the YouTube videos I DO want him to watch. We tried KidZui but I wasn't overly impressed. I just use our security software to white list and black list sites I don't want him visiting. He's only allowed to use YouTube if I'm sitting a few feet away and I've taught him not to continue hitting suggested links if he starts seeing inappropriate content (usually bad language in Minecraft tutorial videos). For the most part he's interested in Minecraft Tutorials, Simon's Cat, and various animal videos. He could watch funny cat montages all day if I let him. Right now he's obsessed with "Dramatic Squirrel" and "Dramatic Hamster" and the like.

Riceball_Mommy
12-15-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm interested in hearing about other opinions on the kid friendly browsers. I think I may have seen one before, but I can't remember the name. Right now my daughter has a few links in my bookmarks she visits and that's it. I might allow her to surf more freely through one of those browsers. Right now we all share the computer and I'm thinking as she gets into using the computer more I'll set up an account for her with the parental locks on downloads.

kristinabrooke
12-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Shoe, I think they are useful for younger children- 5-12 (maybe?). I am a bit overly-cautious because I worked with a CyberAbuse program.

Stephanie, Kidzui has a Kids youTube called ZuiTube (http://zui.com/). I just found it so I don't know how good it is.

My thoughts:
Kidzui while good is not customizable and they do not respond to questions/request.
We just started using Zoodles and like this one (although it is not free). You put in your child's age and they provide age-appropriate sites, but it is also possible to add sites to your safe list. I am probably going to uninstall Kidzui because I like that I have control over this.
PikLuk is also nice and customizable if you pay but I find that it often has issues with sites loading. I like that you can get an email address for your child and include a list of address allowed to email him/her no spam, etc. My daughter is 5 and I find this browser is great for locking other programs so no damage can occur.