PDA

View Full Version : And Now a Deployment!

hreneeh
12-13-2011, 09:55 AM
So just found out my husband is deploying for a year in August. I had planned on homeschooling next year but now I don't know if I can do that! I want to homeschool but I'm terrified that I'll just get so burnt out without a break. Has anyone else homeschooled through a deployment? Were you new at it?

If I want to send Keegan to a school we have to move (because the school here is horrible), which means taking him away from his friends ( I already know of 2 of his friends will be moving anyway). UGH decisions. The plus side is we know he'll get to finish the entire year of school which is a good thing but we also know that as soon as hubby gets back we'll be moving to places unknown so it would just be one year in school then back to homeschool.

AHHHHHHHHHHH! I'm such a planner and this is killing me.

ercswf
12-13-2011, 10:37 AM
My husband was supposed to deploy this spring but that changed. Honestly I had not even though of not homeschooling just because of a deployment. Here we live with tons of family around but they are not any help in any way.

I say Go for it. I mean worst case just take a light year of homeschooling. Also with the 2 deployment I did go through with my kids I found my YMCA membership a lifesaver. I like water so the ability to check my kids into child watch and go sit under water for long periods of time was about all that kept me sane. (because like I said I have no support real support from family)

baker
12-13-2011, 10:44 AM
My sister-in-law is homeschooling one of her kids while her dh is deployed. She is doing just fine. Something she said (which rings true for me when my dh is out of town) is that with dh gone, things are actually easier at times. One less person to worry about (laundry, cooking, etc). I guess it depends on how involved dh is in everyday tasks. Do you have much support from your dh's squadron? Family help?. Good luck.

bcnlvr
12-13-2011, 10:53 AM
We did 21 years in the USMC with more than a dozen 6-12 month deployments (the joy of being the spouse of an infantry officer). We found homeschooling to be vastly superior to other options. You can pm me if you want to talk, brainstorm, freak out, etc. :)

I DEFINITELY second what was said about some aspects being easier....less spent on bills/gas, more $$ coming in, less laundry/cooking, etc. I even had a mother's helper sometimes.... :D

mommykicksbutt
12-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Yip, we did it. When we were in Japan hubby was with a ship, it was gone more than it was in (9 mo vs 3 mo each year). I had a special needs tween and a new baby at the time. Later when 911 happened I got recalled (although for a very short period of time) then a year later hubby was off to the work up and start of the war, yet we still homeschooled. You can do it.

hreneeh
12-13-2011, 11:23 AM
This is definitely not our first deployment. I agree life can be easier with no hubby home, I've actually found the first month when they are back to be the most difficult. This would just be the first time with homeschooling and him deployed. I'm worried that when I get worn out I will drop the ball and Keegan's education will suffer. That happens sometimes now and I'm not doing it all on my own. We won't have any help from a unit because this is a stand alone assignment, we're currently at a stand alone assignment with no unit. I do have friends in the area who help me, but I'm seriously considering PCSing to his next duty station (FT Hood) now so we have a bit more time there. We've moved every 13-18 months for the last 3 assignments so I like the idea of being somewhere for 4 years (1 year deployment + 3 year duty). We'll see.

JinxieFox
12-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Through multiple deployments and two 1-year remotes, one of which was ultimately converted to a 2-year-accompanied remote about halfway through, so we ended up joining him in Korea not quite a year later. :)

But, oh yes, I've homeschooled through it all. Once we adjusted to having him gone, I loved how much easier it was - cooking for 2 instead of 3, doing laundry for 2 instead of 3, and more. I like ercswf's suggestion of a "light year of homeschooling". We never changed anything due to deployments and remotes, but I always give myself the liberty to say, "You know what? We just aren't going to do any work this week."

You can do it!

Jackielyn
12-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Us too, my kids were younger so we kept the homeschooling light...but it was never an option not to homeschool :) You can always lighten up the load if you feel overwhelmed! :hugs: Deployments suck :(

OrganicFrmGrl
12-13-2011, 08:03 PM
OK so DH is a retired Navy Pilot...plenty of deployments, so I know how they suck. When DH was in the Navy we did not HS but, I wish I would have. My issues were no help in p/u and d/o at school! Nobody to help when DS was sick and couldn't go to school (I was working a full time job then). I feel that you can really change around your schedule with DH gone. If you need a break, take one from school. You can do it! We are all behind you.