PDA

View Full Version : Viruses?

dbmamaz
12-12-2011, 03:43 PM
I'm using an older version of IE, because i have an old XP box, but I have paid AVG. Two days in a row, now, AVG has popped up a virus warning on this website. Yesterday it was just an exploitable something-or-other, but today it quarentined two malwares.

I'm concerned and wanted to let you know.

it looks like it was 2 instances of the same virus, tho - kryptik.XEH

and i dont see any history of what happenned the other day, but I did post about it somewhere on the site.

theWeedyRoad
12-12-2011, 06:17 PM
I've gotten several redirects on this site today as well, and I'll be running my anti-virus software in a bit.

Thanks for the heads up :)

lynne
12-12-2011, 08:57 PM
I haven't noticed any, but I use Firefox. Still, I'll run Malwarebytes to be safe. Thanks.

Topsy
12-13-2011, 07:27 AM
I'll have our tech support check into it...thanks for letting us know.

Michael
12-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Hello,

I have looked into this, as well as checked on several different browsers / computers to try to replicate this issue. I haven't found anything out of order.

What page were you on when you received the message in AVG? Also as far as the redirect. What page were you originally on and where did it redirect you to?

thanks

dbmamaz
12-13-2011, 12:54 PM
I am pretty sure that when I got the message from AVG that a virus had been stopped, i was inside one of the threads, but when I had come to the site originally, it hung a bit (which always makes me suspicious - if you go to a site and it doesnt load right away on my old puter it usually means something else is happenning which is taking too much processing energy (or else is being intercepted by AVG). When I've run in to this kind of problem before, usually, I think its a bad ad. That happenned to me w yahoo groups at one point a year or two ago, and they did get back to me and say it was a bad ad, but it was another month before I was willing to try posting from the groups interface again.

its so frustrating because we try to be very careful!! And i know that if its an ad, you are probably subsribing to a service that just plugs ads in, right, you arent selling to individual advertisers for the most part.

theWeedyRoad
12-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Hello,

Also as far as the redirect. What page were you originally on and where did it redirect you to?

thanks

I was between the initial forum page and the 'new posts' page. I'm sorry, I'm not certain which page I was on already and which I was going to.
The redirect just directed me to a misc website that wasn't there (so it came up as a list of suggestions).

I have run my antivirus/antimalware and have nothing on my computer. It also hasn't happened on any of my other internet stops.

If it happens again, I'll note better info for you.

Topsy
12-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Michael has run a complete virus check over the site and we are checking out fine from our end. Just wanted to let everyone know so that you feel secure logging in and moving around from page to page. Hope the issue clears up on your end, Cara and theWeedyRoad!

theWeedyRoad
12-13-2011, 06:25 PM
HAHA it just happened LOL. That's irony for ya.

I was here, just clicked 'new posts'. I was redirected to www2.aim-search.net, then sent to 'degree path' (that's what it says in my history, will not be reclicking there to find out exact addy.)

Will run spyware again just to be sure it isn't something on my machine, and dble checking my configsys programs in case a change slipped through. As I said, though, it is only happening on this site.

I would like to say so far, I have not inadvertantly downloaded any viruses or trojans from this site- it is annoying but not dangerous for me.

Michael
12-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Hello,

What browser / operating system and antivirus software are you using?

Also, you don't need to click on the new posts link, but right click on it, copy the link and send me it. After several computer, browsers, etc.. I have been unable to reproduce any issue.

dbmamaz
12-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Honestly, I have had several redirects like that on other sites (but never here) and again, its usually an ad that I cant load for some reason. I havent had any other issues on this site since when I posted. But i do feel safer browsing on my ipad . . . posting is just a tad harder

theWeedyRoad
12-15-2011, 08:02 PM
I'm running spybot teatimer as the resident, on-all-the-time program. Within the last two days, I also updated and ran Spybot.

I then turned off my spybot, updated and ran malwarebytes antimalware (which I trust completely).

I also checked my msconfig and found nothing. Ditto on looking for odd programs in Task Manager.

I'm going to clear my cookies as soon as I have finished typing this.

Editing 12/16: redirect was to http://colleges.degreepath.com/?authkey=233fab5e-c90a-4511-994c-a331cc8b8a87&keyword=1099#/page/1