PDA

View Full Version : Camping recipes

mitch77
12-11-2011, 05:31 PM
What are your favorite/best/easiest camping recipes? We're going camping for xmas and I haven't been in over a yr. I've forgotten all my culinary camping skills

dragonfly
12-13-2011, 01:34 AM
I want to offer suggestions, but I keep thinking of questions, like: How long will you be camping? Are you backpacking it, or will you have a car/truck/RV nearby with supplies? Will there be a store of some kind nearby? Do you use a camp stove, firepit, brazier...? Do you use a grill or a spit?

I've done camping where we didn't have much more than some marshmallows and sandwiches, and sometimes I've camped where there was a suckling pig cooked on a spit over an open fire. Sometimes we've worked over a campfire, once we rented a 100,000 BTU propane grill. Most often, we use a small coleman stove, with a fire pit for warmth and cooking things that take some time, like potatoes. And s'mores, of course. :)

There's nothing quite as yummy as bacon and eggs in the morning. Steak on the grill is awesome, and corn on the cob wrapped in foil (tuck an ice cube in there if you have it) and tossed in the fire for a few minutes is good. Oh, and foil wrapped veggies like onion, peppers, zucchini, etc. with chunks of kielbasa is amazing.