PDA

View Full Version : Help for a friend in KS looking to withdraw son?

raegan
12-08-2011, 01:46 PM
My friend has a kindergartener (I think he's kindy, anyway; he's almost a year younger than my son who would be in 1st grade according to age) and she's been uncomfortable with his classroom situation since September. She posted to a local parenting board, but said I could post here in case someone has more info (only about 1/4 of those on that parenting board homeschool, fewer in KS where she is located, and still fewer dealing with jerk exes). Any thoughts I can pass on to her?

I'm pulling L from school for the rest of the year, my ex is pissed.

I know I don't have to have him in till he's 7 but since we started the year, does it change things?

I'm switching him over to the online curriculum, and he will still go in for "specials" in the afternoons, I'm not pulling him from the district entirely. [The school all of a sudden has a policy about not switching over after september enrollment that no one has ever mentioned before :/ except in cases of "extenuating circumstances."

I still want to pull him. If I can't get him in the virtual school, is it still truancy since KS doesn't require kids to be in school till 7? ]

He's threatening to have me arrested ...which I am pretty sure is just hot air, but just in case, is there any reason I could be?

If it matters, we're joint custody on the divorce decree, the kids primarily reside with me and I recieve child support, so I think in court, I'm technically the primary caregiver. The kids spend time with me 55-60% of the time and him the other.

And no, I have no idea what her rural district considers "extenuating circumstances," nor situational specifics, but I do know she doesn't consider her inclination to homeschool/school at home to fall under that definition.

TIA

Marmalade
12-08-2011, 03:20 PM
I can not speak specifically for KS but I do know that here once you enroll a child in school pulling them out without then enrolling them somewhere (Be it another public, private or home school) is considered truancy.

It does sound to me like she may actually have extenuating circumstances-but I'm just reading between the lines....She sounds very panicked (if that's the right word) about getting him out of school NOW.

theWeedyRoad
12-08-2011, 03:58 PM
I don't know about KS either, but here I know if you enroll your child in ps, as Marmalade said, even if they are 'under the age', they are then considered part of the system and you have to continue to enroll them somewhere. I know someone who pulled their k'er out anyway without following homeschool paperwork, and the ps made some threats about it (no idea if it came to anything though).

idk.. to me it sounds like she has two issues (her child and her ex). From where I sit (married and never divorced), it would seem like she needs to have some sort of concensus with her ex about the son and school before drastic measures are taken. It seems like it could get very ugly quickly otherwise. Again, I'm not divorced though, so working with my dh is just part of the raising-kids experience for me.

MarkInMD
12-08-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm pretty sure the truancy laws in most places would be that way. Related to child welfare and stuff like that, I'd guess. I wish I had some advice for her, but all I can say is I would definitely advise against just pulling the child.

farrarwilliams
12-08-2011, 04:43 PM
But everywhere I know of allows you to withdraw and homeschool at any time. You just have to file the paperwork. It's like a school transfer. If she was moving, she'd be able to transfer him or if a private school accepted him.

However, if she wants to enroll him in an online school and transfer to that, then, yes, they may disallow it. I have no idea about the ins and outs of that process, but I know there's a window of opportunity around here to do K12, after which, you have to wait for a year.

Accidental Homeschooler
12-08-2011, 04:50 PM
She just needs to check the law for KS. I pulled my dd out of kindergarten and would not have had to do a thing until the Fall after her sixth birthday. I do know of someone who was not allowed to hs because her ex would not agree to it. That sounds like the bigger problem to me.

farrarwilliams
12-08-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm thinking the ex is why she's doing the virtual school? As it's technically ps, she can probably have a lot more leeway to opt for that than for homeschooling.

zcat
12-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Here is the KS dept of education page about homeschooling (non-accredited private school in KS).
http://www.ksde.org/Default.aspx?tabid=1684
http://www.ksde.org/Default.aspx?tabid=1688
from their fact sheet-
When a student transfers to a non-accredited private school, the school previously attended must be notified by the parent/guardian that the student is changing schools. If a student simply stops coming to school, the school is required by law to report the student as truant.

Here is the page about virtual schools.
http://www.ksde.org/Default.aspx?tabid=455

I think since her child has been in the system she would need to withdraw him formally from the school he is in now and then he would not be truant. She wouldn't register as a non-accreditated private school if he is attending a public school virtual school and is not 7.
I would guess she needs to have copies of whatever she gives the school and a copy of enrollment in the virtual school to show anyone who asks. She might want to talk to her lawyer about dealing with the ex over school issues in the long run. If they had some agreement in the divorce that they both had to agree on school decisions then I suppose she'll have to work something out with him before pulling her son out of school.

raegan
12-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks, all. I've sent her the link to this thread so she can read individual responses.