PDA

View Full Version : New from Apex NC

warramra
05-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Hi everyone!! I'm so pleased to find an active secular forum again. I'm looking forward to probably spending too much time visiting here.

I'm Amy, a homeschooling mom to four: dd10 who wants to be the next Mia Hamm, dd7 an aspiring vet/actress, dd5 an active 'do it all' girl, and ds3 who loves to take things apart to see how they once worked ;). I've been homeschooling since the oldest was four and have been around the block with different approaches. We became burned out this winter after trying to make a Classical/Charlotte Mason approach fit my children for the last year-and-a-half. I love the philosophy but could not make it work well with our family. We've finally settled in to using Time4Learning and other computer-based programs for skills and unit studies for content. I know, totally opposite ;)

We tend to be very busy with 3 kids in sports, art classes and drama classes. We also like to visit all the different museums and hiking trails in the area.

Can't wait to get to know ya'll.

Amy

Topsy
05-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Welcome, Amy!! Another Tarheel girl...yea!! You'll have to remind me where Apex is, though. I've completely gone blank on that one. Looking forward to getting to know you better!!

Topsy

Shoe
05-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Welcome to the site. It's a great resource and a lot of friendly people visit here. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Cheers.

warramra
05-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Tarheel born and bred, but a member of the Wolfpack by choice. Apex is in the SW portion of Wake County, out near Jordan Lake. Wonderful area to be... 3 hours to my hometown at the beach and 3 hours to the in-laws in the mountains.

Amy

pandahoneybee
05-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Well hello there neighbor! We are in Cary ;) have you checked into Cary homeschoolers for a support group yet? We are a secular group but also have some open minded religiuos people too! This is a great site, everyone up here is so friendly and HELPFUL. We are also using time4learning for our online cirriculm and we supplement with Singapore math, story of the world time4writing and all about spelling. Let me know if you need any info here locally.

Snoopy
05-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Welcome to the group :) I love to see local people finding one another!

amphibology29
05-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Hi there! Where's your hometown out on the beach? We're out on the coast, too!

warramra
05-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Well hello there neighbor! We are in Cary ;) have you checked into Cary homeschoolers for a support group yet? We are a secular group but also have some open minded religiuos people too! This is a great site, everyone up here is so friendly and HELPFUL. We are also using time4learning for our online cirriculm and we supplement with Singapore math, story of the world time4writing and all about spelling. Let me know if you need any info here locally.

We've lived in Apex for the last 12 years, before that we were in Raleigh. We were part of Cary Homeschoolers when we first started for a couple of years, but found out that we are just not group people. It was a really good and active group. I met a lot of dear friends we still keep in touch with.

So cool that you are using T4L also. We used SOTW vol 1 - vol 3, but my daughters want to do more unit study activities now so my vol. 4 will sit on the shelf for reference. We'll have to meet up sometime and talk shop.

Hi there! Where's your hometown out on the beach? We're out on the coast, too!

I'm originally from Morehead, not too far from you I believe. :cool:

Amy

BPier12
05-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Welcome, warramra! It sounds like you lead a very busy life! So glad you found us.

firefly
05-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Hi Amy! I'm new and we're neighbors! I'm mid state - been here 7ish years. I've been getting T4L's email newsletter thing for about a year. I'll be starting to h/s again in the fall and would love to know more about the company. But for now - just welcome!

Home-schoolMomma
05-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Welcome :)
We are also a Time4 Learning (http://www.time4learning.com) family !!!!! We to found it after relising that "Traditional" book curriculum just didnt work for our family.
I have a DD (8) and a Ds(3) and we too have been homeschooling since my DD was about 3yrs...I love this board as well...If my lil monkeys didnt keep me so busy I think I'd be on here 24/7 LOL!

pandahoneybee
05-23-2010, 02:52 PM
CrunchyMomma

We are also a Time4 Learning family !!!!! We to found it after relising that "Traditional" book curriculum just didnt work for our family.
I have a DD (8) and a Ds(3) and we too have been homeschooling since my DD was about 3yrs...I love this board as well...If my lil monkeys didnt keep me so busy I think I'd be on here 24/7 LOL!

Welcome CruncyMomma~
My boys (8 and 13) love the cartoon based lesson, we even laugh at some of them! to me that is a great way to learn!