PDA

View Full Version : New from North Carolina Piedmont

firefly
05-20-2010, 02:42 PM
New again to h/s and completely new to this site. Where were you guys a few years ago when I was convinced I was alone in the world? Back then I met only 2 extreme families in 3 yrs. One family unschooled so completely I think they forgot they had kids - and the other family "caved" completely and became "Classical Conversations" robots.

I totally understand that each family has to do what is right for them at the time. That learning is a process of discovery - even wrong turns are educational opportunities -- blah, blah... It just would have been nice to have more of a sense of community with like minded people. Although we were very social with the local h/s groups - we never could just "be".

This time my kids are older and more sure of who they are. As teacher (and co-learner) I am more focused on us living our best life and I am just jazzed about the process. Hopefully some of you out there will be in our new circle of friends! I look forward to meeting you!

(Note: If you think you might have been the unschooler or Classical Conversation family above -- it's O.K., you were cool parents and I know you loved your kids!)

Shoe
05-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Well, we're here now and this is a great site of which to be a member! Welcome. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Cheers.

Topsy
05-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Wow...ANOTHER NC member!! That's two in one day!! ;) Welcome, firefly! (warning...we have another active member who goes by fireflymom, so if I answer one of your posts with something that makes absolutely no sense, you will know that I'm not crazy...just ditzy) Glad you stopped in to introduce yourself. I hope you enjoy the site...

Topsy

pandahoneybee
05-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Wow, I am with Topsy, we are going to be the top ruling state up here soon;) Tarheels everywhere! Glad you stopped in to say hi, let us know if you need anything!

Snoopy
05-20-2010, 10:00 PM
(warning...we have another active member who goes by fireflymom, so if I answer one of your posts with something that makes absolutely no sense, you will know that I'm not crazy...just ditzy) Topsy I know, I was wondering why Firefly_mom was posting an intro after having been here for a few months already! I guess we can practice our reading comprehension skills even better now:)

Welcome, Firefly! Well I'm not in NC (though my in-laws live there, near Asheville) and I can't forget that I have kids (sometimes I wish I could though!) and have never felt tempted by Classical Conversations although I do like the Classical approach so I wasn't one of the 2 families and we're in the clear, lol! How old are your kids now? Am I understanding right that you homeschooled, then at some point they went to p.s. and now you're back to homeschooling?

amphibology29
05-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Boy, and here I was just thinking I had to be the only secular homeschooler in the entire state of North Carolina! :D

reversemigration
05-21-2010, 01:15 AM
Welcome, firefly...I'm looking forward to hearing about the experiences you've had thus far!

BPier12
05-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Hi and Welcome, firefly! This forum has been a great source of information and comfort to me in the short time I've been here and I hope it will be for you too!

Riceball_Mommy
05-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Welcome, and I just wanted to say that I love your avatar.

Shoe
05-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Welcome, and I just wanted to say that I love your avatar. My daughter was looking over my shoulder yesterday and saw your avatar Riceball_Mommy, and made me promise to say that it was "really cool"...I told her I would if it ever came up in conversation, but I wasn't going to start a thread just to say that...looks like this is as good a place as any to mention it :).

firefly
05-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Hi All! Thanks for the welcome! I'm happy to see so many Carolinians! I also see the Firefly Mom several of you mentioned. I wonder if she is a "bug" or a sci-fi geek like me? Hopefully I will get my signature thing finished soon so you can keep us apart.

Snoopy, I am a single Mom of rising 4th & 5th graders. I h/sed 'til 2nd & 3rd. KIds then went to a charter school. Now that middle school approaches... I hope to h/s again. Right now I am checking out subscription sites to see what will work for us.

I can't wait to read over all the forums! (and ask a million questions!)

Snoopy
05-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Hi All! Thanks for the welcome! I'm happy to see so many Carolinians! I also see the Firefly Mom several of you mentioned. I wonder if she is a "bug" or a sci-fi geek like me? Hopefully I will get my signature thing finished soon so you can keep us apart.

LOL, nope, she's another Nathan Fillion fan so that's really going to be interesting, lol! Good luck with everything. Are the kids excited about hs'ing again?

firefly
05-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Yes, my kids are excited! They asked me to pull them out many times – but I’m glad they had the p/s experience. I think we’re all looking forward to things getting back to normal. When you h/s your rewards are all your own. Instead of twisting yourself in knots to please “the system” – you’re making your own happiness. It’s how it should be.

Great another Firefly fan! Here’s a link to 2 videos on Geeks of Dooms’ site (scroll down). One is of NASA’s shuttle crew waking up to the theme from Firefly, the other is the song and the opening credits for the show. …gets me teary eyed…

http://geeksofdoom.com/2010/02/13/geeks-in-space-nasa-astronauts-wake-up-to-firefly-theme-song/

jillibell
02-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Firefly-
Are you still in the Piedmont? I am a sort of cool parent looking to homeschool my son. Have you found other secular homeschoolers in the area? Would love to find some similiarly minded folks that are homeschooling around here. Thanks.

Heidi
Mom to a Bug and a Bean (10 & 6)

InstinctiveMom
02-10-2011, 02:06 AM
Welcome to the forums, firefly!
We're Whedon fans here, too :)
~h

sahmIam
03-07-2011, 12:53 PM
NC Mom here, too! And LOVE Malcolm Reynolds - my all time favorite captain!! Happy to be here and can't wait to get to know everyone better!