PDA

View Full Version : What's for dinner in December?

zcat
12-04-2011, 11:13 AM
If you have a meal plan for December what do you have planned? If you don't plan in advance what are having today?

zcat
12-04-2011, 11:30 AM
I have a partial list of meals for my family for December. (in no particular order)
1. Gyros, french fries
2. Fish & Rice
3. Gyudon
4. Sub Sandwiches
5. Corn Dogs & pasta, salad
6. Tacos
7. Cheese Ravioli & salad
8. Tator Tot Casserole
9. Chickpea basil saute
10. Meatball sandwiches
11. Shepard's Pie
12. Fassolatha
13. Chicken Carbonara
14. Chili

more of the list:
15. General Tso's Chicken
16. Pizza
17. Cheese soup, bread
18. Ham
19. Tandoori Chicken, rice, vegetables, naan
20. Veggie burgers
21. Fajitas
22. Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches
23. Fish, pasta
24. Minestrone
25. Leftovers
26. Leftovers
27. Leftovers
28. Leftovers

dbmamaz
12-04-2011, 12:16 PM
You plan a month at a time? wow . . . only this year, with a busier schedule, i've started planning a week at at time. and there are dishes we have almost every week. Of course, i have picky eaters and a ton of food allergies.

This week I have the dishes but not what order - need to sti down with the calendar and figure out what days I have time for long meal prep and which i dont

Jambalaya
Spaghetti (gluten free, w homemade meatballs)
tacos (turkey tacos)
roast leg of lamb (usually w fries, some sort of veggie)
fish of some sort (probably baked salmon?)
burgers (turkey burgers w mushrooms and chips)

I was just taking a poll for xmas - so far 2 votes for ham, no votes for turkey, one 'idk'

skrink
12-04-2011, 12:30 PM
I try to do a week at a time, sometimes more. And I generally make extra for leftover nights or to freeze for later. This week, in no particular order:

scallops, rice, veg
Tuscan minestrone, cornbread
bbq chicken thighs, sweet potatoes, salad
gf pasta w/ meat sauce, salad, gf bread
roast in crock pot, gravy, mashed potatoes, veg
breakfast for dinner

And we're doing ham for Christmas. Thanksgiving + stomach flu = no turkey for a long, long time.

dbmamaz
12-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanksgiving + stomach flu = no turkey for a long, long time.
ouch! (more characters)

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
12-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Minestrone, creamed chicken over biscuits, homemade pizza, white bean and sausage cassarole, and chicken noodle soup are on the menu for this week. I'm having a hankering for beef stew (in the crock pot), so I'll probably make that soon.

Skrink, I had a strong aversion to vanilla ice cream for about a year for that very reason. :) We have lasagna, garlic bread, and salad for Christmas dinner.

lafemmedesfemmes
12-04-2011, 04:22 PM
i generally go only about a week out, too. but since we scored our new-to-us chest freezer (yay, freecycle!), i'll probably start planning (and cooking) farther out now that i have a place to put it all. this week will be sausage and peppers over rice, crockpot barbecue pork, and chili. i'm sure spaghetti with red sauce and cheeseburgers will happen at some point during the week since we keep burger patties in the freezer and pasta and tomato sauce in the pantry.

and we'll be slowly working our way through the results of yesterday's cookie swap party for dessert. :-D

christina in lawrenceville

skrink
12-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Minestrone, creamed chicken over biscuits, homemade pizza, white bean and sausage cassarole, and chicken noodle soup are on the menu for this week. I'm having a hankering for beef stew (in the crock pot), so I'll probably make that soon.

Skrink, I had a strong aversion to vanilla ice cream for about a year for that very reason. :) We have lasagna, garlic bread, and salad for Christmas dinner.

Not vanilla ice cream! Oh, the horror! :) Lasagna sounds good for Xmas dinner. I usually do some kind of special pasta dish on Xmas Eve. Would like the recipe for the white bean and sausage casserole, if you feel like sharing.

MrsLOLcat
12-04-2011, 04:45 PM
We do a week at a time because my kitchen simply can't hold any more food than that. My DH and kids can EAT. Our menu for this week includes:

Shrimp curry with jasmine rice
Grilled fish with fries and broccoli
Spaghetti and meatballs, salad, garlic bread
Crockpot pot roast with tons of veggies and whole wheat rolls
Tuna noodle casserole with steamed mixed veggies
Breakfast for dinner - omelets, muffins, and fruit salad
Beef-barley stew (with plenty of veggies, including Brussels sprouts)

If the kids wind up having a snow day and are home from school, I also have ingredients for corn chowder and loaded baked potatoes on hand for lunch. Just in case.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
12-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Sausage and Bean Casserole (from Everyday Food #26)

6 slices of white sandwich bread
1 lb smoked Polish sausage (I use fully-cooked turkey kielbasa)
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tomato paste
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 cans (14.5 oz each) Great Northern or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
salt and pepper

1. In a food processor, pulse the bread until large crumbs form (about three cups). Season with salt and pepper (I usually omit the salt and use about 1/4 teaspoon pepper). Set aside.

2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a six-quart, heavy bottom saucepan, cook sausage, onions, and garlic, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent and sausage is starting to brown, 15 to 20 minutes (less if sausage is fully-cooked).

3. In a 1-quart measuring pitcher or bowl, mix together tomato paste, broth, wine, thyme and 1 cup of water. Add to saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the beans. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened but still soupy, about 10 minutes.

4. Stir in 1 cup of the breadcrumbs. Pour sausage into a 3-quart baking dish or four 10-oz ramekins. Top with remaining breadcrumbs.

5. Bake, on a baking sheet, until topping is golden, about 30 minutes.

To freeze, prepare through step four. Cool complete then cover baking dish tightly with plastic wrap and freeze for up to three months. Bake without thawing at 374 degree oven, covered with aluminum foil, until bubbly and hot in the center, about 1 hour. Remove foil and continue baking until bread crumbs are golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes more.

dragonfly
12-04-2011, 05:47 PM
I just made gluten free Chicken Ala King, with gluten free bread and gluten free buttermilk biscuits.

There's a recipe in the current Bon Appetit magazine for peppermint meringues--it looks soooo yummy, I think I'll have to make some for Christmas. Maybe wintergreen flavor, though--my favorite mint.

skrink
12-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Sausage and Bean Casserole (from Everyday Food #26)

Thanks! Sounds yummy. I'm going to put it into next week's menu.

Stella M
12-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Mangoes. Seriously. We have a box and they have to get eaten before they go bad so I'm just letting the kids loose on the mangoes. They need a little Vit A boost anyway.

hockeymom
12-04-2011, 06:55 PM
We currently live with the world's most inefficient kitchen so I'm not much into cooking these days. But in 2 weeks (!) we'll be moving into our new house, and with it comes a brand new dream kitchen. I am definitely looking forward to spending a lot of time there.

Anyway, for the holiday season...DH always gets lasagna on his birthday, Christmas Eve is always Chinese take out, and there are always Dutch Babies for Christmas morning. Christmas dinner? Who wants to cook? I'm not sure what I usually do there, probably Tofurkey and roasted veggies, a sort of Thanksgiving 2. Something simple for sure.

The rest of the month, as always, is day by day. This is the season for lots of soups, homemade noodles, and simple meals on hockey nights. I'm impressed by those of you who can plan ahead and stick to it.

dbmamaz
12-04-2011, 09:10 PM
what are dutch babies?

funny, i never even wanted chicken ala king when i ate gluten! I do miss having bread and rolls tho. I used to make the yummiest rolls . . . i would cut them in triangles and roll up like crescents w butter . . . the kids liked them better than the store bought crescent dough.

and remember, the MAIN thing I like about holidays is cooking all day! Tho really, xmas i need to spend some time gaming, so i should really try to do more ahead than I did for thanksgiving - like ALL the desserts, and the cranberries. and i usually make sugarred nuts and fudge. last year i made vegan caramel - i made it far ahead, tho, cuz i shipped a box of goodies to Heron. she was away the previous xmas, too - she's going to my moms the week of, but she'll be home for the day this time. so she has to learn to play small world too!

lakshmi
12-05-2011, 01:36 AM
Duly impressed.

My huz is in charge. He started a facebook page. And has been posting our meals there. And some recipes. Likely will be starting a new blog soon too. All things chefy.

hockeymom
12-05-2011, 05:51 AM
Dutch babies are an egg dish baked in the oven, served with maple syrup. I have no idea where the name came from, but it's what my family always called them. I don't think I've had a single Christmas morning in my entire life without them. :)

Pefa
12-05-2011, 06:59 AM
Mangoes. Seriously. We have a box and they have to get eaten before they go bad so I'm just letting the kids loose on the mangoes. They need a little Vit A boost anyway.

I'm jealous.

Pefa
12-05-2011, 07:01 AM
Dutch babies are an egg dish baked in the oven, served with maple syrup. I have no idea where the name came from, but it's what my family always called them. I don't think I've had a single Christmas morning in my entire life without them. :)

Love dutch babies. also known around here as puffy pancake. We eat ours w/butter and confectioners sugar or warmed up apricot jam.

Pefa
12-05-2011, 07:04 AM
We don't have any rhythm to our lives yet so planning is hard. this week mac and cheese, soupy greens and rice, something B1 can cook and maybe homemade pizza or something.

dbmamaz
12-05-2011, 09:48 AM
i'm so lost without a food plan - i really dont have time to be running out to the store for something, we cant eat anything prepackaged, and i get so exhuasted, if its not already decided i can panick . ..

MrsLOLcat
12-05-2011, 10:11 AM
I get lost without a food plan, too. Otherwise I feel completely overwhelmed and wind up doing something like begging DH to bring home fast food or a frozen pizza, and I really feel awful after I eat that so it's better that I don't.

zcat
12-05-2011, 11:23 AM
You plan a month at a time? wow . . . only this year, with a busier schedule, i've started planning a week at at time. and there are dishes we have almost every week. Of course, i have picky eaters and a ton of food allergies.

I make a list with 28 meals and we use that list for a couple of months before making a new list of 28 meals. There are several favorites that are on every list. Once a month my family has General Tso's Chicken. If I left it off the list there would be a lot of whining. We shop once a week and I do planned leftovers as well.

zcat
12-05-2011, 11:28 AM

I've made something like this but with apples in it.

lakshmi
12-05-2011, 09:42 PM
zcat... can you message my husband with your list... lol... actually I am just going to go back upthread and read it. Probably what we would do is just one week at a time. He hates to plan. He makes everything from scratch as well, and does better with a plan but something about the actual planning overwhelms him to the point of stimming.... which is way better than what the freak-out used to be!!!!

But I think I may suggest a 28 day meal plan, it could work. And planned left overs too... and lunches and breakfasts...

I am overwhelmed... i need pizza.

Crabby Lioness
12-05-2011, 10:06 PM
General weekly list -- supper:

fish once a week
beef or other red meet once a week
chicken on Sunday
Chicken and/or pork on other days.

General lunch schedule --

quiche once a week
homemade pizza every other week
cheese dumplings ever other week
fried rice every other week
cornmeal tamale pie with ground turkey and beans once a month
sandwiches as needed
leftover soup as needed
frittata as needed
scrambled eggs as needed

breakfast, weekday, from the morning functioning-disabled Mom --
quick fruit bread (usually banana) baked as rolls, premade
cheese rolls, premade
(one of those two are made on Sunday night for half the week)

biscuits, hot
cheese toast
oatmeal
French toast
scrambled eggs with bacon (if you're very lucky)
(hard-boiled eggs are available for the protein-deprived)

breakfast, weekend, from the morning-functioning Dad
just about anything

4pm tea --
cake
cookies
pie
pudding, ect

Crabby Lioness
12-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Today's menu:

Breakfast - banana/raisin bread rolls

Lunch -- sausage/pea/cheese quiche

Tea -- homemade chocolate cake

Supper -- salmon ring with salsa corn and refrigerator rolls

Tomorrow

Breakfast - banana/raisin rolls

Lunch - cream of chicken and mashed potato soup with leftover mashed potatoes

Tea - strawberries with refrigerator potato "shortbread"

Supper -- leftover crockpot chicken and something with the tomato/mushroom/onion sauce from it

Wednesday supper -- last of the Thanksgiving turkey and gravy with potato rolls

Thursday supper -- last of the crockpot chicken and the last of the refrigerator rolls

Friday -- beef

Saturday -- big crockpot dish for next week

Sunday -- chicken

JinxieFox
12-06-2011, 04:30 AM
I don't plan, per se, but I have an idea for dinner each week when I go shopping. Sunday was bulgogi, and Monday was hotdogs and beans. Tuesday through Friday options are:

Vegetarian chili (sweet potato and black bean)

Penne with ricotta cheese and broccoli

Pork chops over couscous

Filet mignon

Oh, and there's a package of cheese ravioli in the fridge, which slipped my mind (mmm... think we'll have that tonight)

We have a bunch of steak and another serving of porkchops in the freezer (teeny though the freezer is), and there's always plenty of pasta in the house. I haven't really planned next week; I just know what's there from our shopping trip last weekend. :)

mommykicksbutt
12-06-2011, 05:40 AM
Now that we're home from our vacation on the Danube our menu is pretty simple in comparison to the lavishly gourmet meals we've enjoyed on our trip. This week's menu includes really lazy easy prep meals. Usually I plan, shop, and prep, for more than a week at a time, but since we've been gone I just winged this week's fare...

Turkey burgers with avo and sprouts

Mexicali chicken and rice skillet casserole

Cobb salad with turkey bacon and no yolks

Sheppard's pie

chicken Rubens and sweet potato (oven) fries

chopped Chinese chicken salad and miso soup

leftovers from the above

ItoLina
12-10-2011, 07:02 PM
I only plan one week at a time.

This week is:

Chicken soup and homemade bread rolls
lasagnia
Turkey burgers and sweet potato fries
"mommy burrito" (as my son calls it)--bean, cheese, chicken, and avocado
vegi chilli--crockpot
left overs

dbmamaz
12-10-2011, 08:59 PM
hmm, i think i'm craving chili . . . .

lynne
12-10-2011, 09:13 PM
hmm, i think i'm craving chili . . . .

I've been making white chicken chili lately. Allrecipes.com has some good recipes.

dbmamaz
12-10-2011, 09:22 PM
i have a white bean chicken chili from there i like, but its really more of a soup. I want a thick, hearty chili. the last one I made was awful, tho . . . too much turkey and not enough chilis.

i was also craving that smoked turkey (ham) and potato and kale soup. but they didnt have any smoked turkey legs. I want a ham for xmas, so we'll make it with the leftovers from that, but trader joes has a GLAZED ham again - i prefer unglazed. last year whole food's ham had a glaze WITH WHEAT IN IT! We'll see.

KristinK
12-11-2011, 10:19 PM
mmm some yummy ideas here.

I have a crockpot of perpetual chicken-bone-broth going, so we'll be using that this week. I've never done a "perpetual broth" before, but jsut read a really intersting article on it, so thought I'd try. We all need a health boost here, so we'll have soup a couple times, and I'm hoping to use it to fortify my breadmaking or something...will get creative with it :)

I bought stew beef, so we'll have that this week, and that should last for 2 days. The chicken that I roasted this morning (to get the carcass to start my broth) is sitting in the fridge, so some will go in soup, and I think we'll do chicken burritos (or "rollups" as the kids call them).