PDA

View Full Version : Wii games

WindSong
11-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Both of my kids love to play the Wii. They would play it 24/7 if allowed. We limit playing time to about 45 min. a day or they would do nothing else. I prefer the games that require activity on the part if the player or where some strategy or brain function is required to play. :D Games that I like that we have are Sports Resort, Play, Ski, Fit, and Music. My kids like Lego Star Wars and Mario Kart. That's pretty much all they want to play. Is their a middle ground here so that we can all be happy?

I havn't bought a Wii game since last year. I would like to get them each a game for Christmas but I am overwhelmed with the selection, ratings and reviews. So, I thought my friends here would be able to steer me in the right direction. What games do you AND your kids like?

pnctink
11-28-2011, 06:44 PM
A game that we play almost exclusively is The Beatles RockBand. We have it for the PS3, but I'm sure it was available for the Wii too because my DH and I couldn't decide which system it would be better for. I know it's not active (just drumming,playing guitar, and singing), but we have a blast with it.

leanderthal
11-28-2011, 08:58 PM
cooking mama, and green day rock band!

lynne
11-28-2011, 09:21 PM
My 6 yo just requested Sim City creator. I think it's a little educational because they get to build up their city, plan for energy sources, water proximity, commercial property, etc.

My kids don't play it too much anymore.

farrarwilliams
11-28-2011, 11:02 PM
My kids go through stages of Wii-love where they have a new game or rediscover an old one and suddenly want to play 24/7. Then they burn themselves out on it and I don't see it on for weeks.

You've already named the games that have been good for family and together play though - the Fit, Wii Party, Mario Kart, Sports Resort stuff. My boys also have really liked Playground and all the Lego games. They enjoyed Super Monkey Ball okay. And they were obsessed for a good long while with A Boy and his Blob, but it's not good for together play at all - in fact, you can only save one game at a time, so that was actually sort of annoying... or would be if my boys didn't seem to work in freakish tandem when they play the Wii.

naturegirl7
11-29-2011, 03:06 AM
Just Dance - I love the 1st one and we are getting him the 3rd for Xmas too. He requested Mario Kart last year, which is fun. He plays his cousins (across the country) thru some online option thingy. And Harry Potter is his request for this year. He is likely getting Harry Potter from his grandparents - but it is problem solving and puzzles from what I hear. I guess I can be ok with that LOL

We have the Fit and Resort too - love those. I especially love the Fit. Gets him moving while he thinks he's playing. Plus we can interact and play together - which is another reason I love the Just Dance ones. We'd played the 2nd one at friends houses, but the songs are not as good as the first and the new one.

hockeymom
11-29-2011, 04:58 AM
My kids go through stages of Wii-love where they have a new game or rediscover an old one and suddenly want to play 24/7. Then they burn themselves out on it and I don't see it on for weeks.

This is my DS too. Although he can talk about Mario Kart all day long, he actually doesn't usually play that much.

In addition to what everyone else has mentioned, we also like Winter Sports. He just tried the 2012 London Summer Olympics game and immediately put it on his wish list along with some British car racing game so I guess that was a winner. I had no luck with figuring out the games at all, though.

Last weekend after a big snow DS took his skis out and showed us moves he'd learned on Winter Sports. They actually translated well to real life and helped improve his strategy for getting down small hills gracefully. Who knew the wii could be so practical? lol

dottieanna29
11-29-2011, 09:18 AM

My son is like this too. Little DD doesn't really play at all though we bought her the Smurfs Dance Party and Dora Snow Princess.

DS likes Mario (not cart just regular), Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort. Right now he's on a real Sonic Unleashed kick (which I did not realize was rated E10+, I guess for a little cartoon violence, we didn't buy it my parents did). He also likes a Spongebob drawing game that uses a drawing pad thing.

He's getting Mario Galaxy and Kirby for Christmas and has recently mentioned the Chipmunks dance game.

Crabby Lioness
11-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Marcia, are you familiar with NutWiiSystem (http://www.nutwiisystem.com/)? The owner reviews Wii fitness games based on both the quality of the workout and the level of fun it generates, figuring if you're having fun you'll want to use it more often.

I just bought a Wii -- literally, like day before yesterday. I don't have a TV to hook it up to and won't until sometime next year when we finish remodeling the den, but I wanted one of the Kart bundles and not the new bundles they brought out for Christmas. I've been using the site above to plan out what games to eventually buy. Based on his recommendations I will be getting Dance Central 3 and Wii Fit Plus eventually, but the first game I buy will be will be Active Life Explorer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LDKH2E) where the players run and jump their way through a series of Indiana Jones-style adventures, including stopping a runaway train, catching a bandit on horseback, and running across a falling bridge. That ought to hold their attention for a while! ;)

WindSong
11-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Thank you all for the great responses. You have saved me hours of research!

Marcia, are you familiar with NutWiiSystem (http://www.nutwiisystem.com/)? The owner reviews Wii fitness games based on both the quality of the workout and the level of fun it generates, figuring if you're having fun you'll want to use it more often.

I am not familiar with this site. I am off to check it out. Thanks!

Greenmother
12-01-2011, 09:51 PM
We didn't buy our Wii til last year, when the price finally came down a bit. My youngest who is five, became obsessed with it. She would walk up to total strangers out in town--of any age and proceed to proselytize the Wii!

I was looking at Just Dance. We love Wii Sport and Wii Fit. My kids do the Yoga all the time! They also make the game: Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader, and they love that too!

Faygo
12-02-2011, 03:31 PM
lol, my 7yo could talk about Mario all day long, too :) They should become email pen pals :)

This is my DS too. Although he can talk about Mario Kart all day long, he actually doesn't usually play that much.

In addition to what everyone else has mentioned, we also like Winter Sports. He just tried the 2012 London Summer Olympics game and immediately put it on his wish list along with some British car racing game so I guess that was a winner. I had no luck with figuring out the games at all, though.

Last weekend after a big snow DS took his skis out and showed us moves he'd learned on Winter Sports. They actually translated well to real life and helped improve his strategy for getting down small hills gracefully. Who knew the wii could be so practical? lol

skrink
12-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Animal Crossing is big here, as is Boom Blox Bash Party. I like Word Jong. Dd likes to watch me play, but she's not quite ready for it yet. Oh, and Tetris! I loved Tetris back in the day, and the controller differences are challenging, but it's still lots of fun. Dd wipes the floor with me. :)

bcnlvr
12-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Marcia, I pm'd you.

My kids want one of these Wii things, but we already have all the game systems from the OLDEN days. Atari, SegaGenesis, NES, SuperNES, (oh and ALL the games) and now they have our old smartphones and can play games on those. Oh, and Mine Craft and whatnot on the computers. So do I really need a Wii now? I know that Santa might bring an ipad for ALL of us to share and that should stave off the Wii thing....hopefully?? **sigh**

WindSong
12-03-2011, 08:13 AM
We didn't buy our Wii til last year, when the price finally came down a bit. My youngest who is five, became obsessed with it. She would walk up to total strangers out in town--of any age and proceed to proselytize the Wii!

I was looking at Just Dance. We love Wii Sport and Wii Fit. My kids do the Yoga all the time! They also make the game: Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader, and they love that too!

I ordered Just Dance yesterday. It looks really fun. I've heard a lot about it from my book club since some of their kids really like it. Well apparently the moms do too as they want to have a Just Dance book club meeting soon! I was also looking at Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader but I couldn't tell if it was any good or not. So this is good to know. :)

WindSong
12-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Marcia, I pm'd you.

My kids want one of these Wii things, but we already have all the game systems from the OLDEN days. Atari, SegaGenesis, NES, SuperNES, (oh and ALL the games) and now they have our old smartphones and can play games on those. Oh, and Mine Craft and whatnot on the computers. So do I really need a Wii now? I know that Santa might bring an ipad for ALL of us to share and that should stave off the Wii thing....hopefully?? **sigh**

See, my kids really want an ipad! Well we all do, but I think if we had an ipad the wii might take a back seat to it, at least for awhile. It's all about whatever is the newest thing in our house. There are just so many cool apps for the ipad.... *sigh* see now I really want an ipad!

CatInTheSun
12-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Endless Ocean 2 taught my 8yo to navigate by compass, identify hundreds of fish species on sight, and plan her time (different characters offer different types of quests and most have time limits). It probably takes a couple hundred hours to totally complete.

You can see wii game reviews on youtube (I like Wiireviewr who does manly kid's titles) and IGN rates/reviews many of them.

Lak001
12-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Husband went and bought an Xbox 360 Kinect thingy for a really good deal on Black Friday sale in Walmart. The fun thing about Kinect is that you don't need a hand held device. This thing has an infrared camera and a motion sensor which translates the player and his movements on to the screen via an internal algorithm. Some cool technology there. You just have to make your movements in front of the Xbox, and voila you are navigating through a Rapid River raft on the screen. My dd just loves it. And boy, does it make you sweat!! Good exercise for kiddos.

rumbledolly
12-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Mario Kart makes me want to hide under the sofa..............OMG I can't handle another discussion between my DH and DD about it!

Thankfully a few new games will be in the Christmas stockings this year. I'm thinking something with Dance and either a Winter Sports one or if I can find it at the used game place I might be able to do a brain one - like Jeopardy. As a family we like the ones that get you off the sofa (not that we haven't developed ways to play while not moving) - probably our all time fav is the first resort one with the airplane, basketball, biking, archery etc.

hockeymom
12-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Mario Kart makes me want to hide under the sofa..............OMG I can't handle another discussion between my DH and DD about it!

LOL, RD! Then Wednesdays must KILL you!! :)

(sorry!)

Elidani
12-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Well in our house the Wii is for solo and together play. When its family time we play games like Wii Fit and Rayman's Raving Rabbids TV Party. The Rabbids one is awesome because you get to do different activities that require a variety of movements. For solo play that is fun and somewhat educational we enjoy Animal Crossing CityFolk, Harvest Moon (any of the ones available), and Rune Factory Frontier. The last two give kids a bit of basic knowledge on taking care of crops and animals. They also stress the importance of creating lasting relationships in a community and generally helping others out with tasks. I actually purchased the Harvest Moon and Rune Factory games for myself, but my kids like to hi-jack them and really enjoy playing. Fair warning on those though, the main character has the option to get married and if they choose to they will end up a child to take care of as well. However, there are no intimate details described or shown it is all kept very mild and innocent. Anyway hope this helps have a good holiday!

rumbledolly
12-05-2011, 09:54 AM
LOL, RD! Then Wednesdays must KILL you!! :)

(sorry!)

Your DS makes me smile and he's so cute when he's discussing his strategy that it's very enjoyable! On the other hand my DH & DD yell at the TV and each other while playing then have loud discussions about strategy because they are both always right. At least one stomps away every time. I just don't understand how something that is suppose to be fun ends up being frustrating and loud!

SarahRushly
12-05-2011, 12:13 PM
We have the BEST game and my kids LOVE it. Animal Crossing: City Folk. It is excellent. You have a character, that you name, in a town, which you also name. You get a house, which has a mortgage you have to pay by "working.". You pick and sell fruit, catch bugs, and fish to make money. You can buy furniture and decorate your house, too. Best, a big part of the game is writing letters to the other people in town, and you can link up with other Wii users and send letters to friends who also play. It really is great. You also help keep the town clean by planting trees and flowers. The bugs and such you catch can be donated to a museum in your "town" and the owl at the museum will give actual facts about the bugs, fish, fossils, etc. that you find. I highly recommend it!

SarahRushly
12-05-2011, 12:14 PM
I just realized someone else may have already posted about this...sorry if I'm a repeat!

kristinabrooke
12-11-2011, 11:38 AM
My 5 year old love Michael Jackson the Experience, ready set grover, my zumba fitness, and Tiki Tower (downloadable).

Virginia
12-15-2011, 08:44 AM
My kids are all wii junkies too. They also each have a DS. They play mario kart on that. The joy of the ds is that they don't all have to have the game, they can all link up on the system that's playing the game. I have NO idea how this is done, but they do it all the time.

As for wii games...they like the sports games. My youngest is a music freak and she loves Disney's Sing It. She also has Wii Baby where you have to "raise" a toddler and teach it how to walk and talk and feed and bath it...etc. The middle one loves Wii Cheer. Gets her moving around and I like the music lol. My oldest doesn't really play the wii much and would rather be playing Minecraft on his computer.

Patricia Ellis Herr
12-15-2011, 08:56 AM
This has been a very educational thread. We don't have a Wii or any other type of video game player. I was considering getting one this year, but I'm now finished the shopping for the season. Seems to get very expensive once you figure in the cost of the console, the games, the screen you need to play it on, etc. Still, so many people love it and some of the games seem educational.

StephSchiff
12-15-2011, 08:59 AM
We like the Wii Active Life Explorer and Outdoor Challenge (both of which use the mat that comes with the game - the mat works with both, so you don't need a new one for each). The bundle with the mat is usually cheaper than buying them separately, so if you have 2 kids, I would just get 2 different games that each come with the mat. We also have the Wii Fit (I wouldn't buy it for kids, but if you have it for yourself anyway, the kids will enjoy using it occasionally). He LOVES Mario Kart, Lego Indiana Jones, Frogger (the old school one you can download from the digital store), and Super Mario Brothers (classic).

I like the Active Life Explorer series because he has to move. When he does Wii Sports Resort or Wii Sports, he often figures out how to sit down and do it. Yes, my child will do the "running" activity whilst sitting on the sofa.

dbmamaz
12-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Patricia, most ppl who get Wiis already have the screen . . . and sure, some of them have SOME educational benefit, but honestly I never would have gotten it for that reason alone. We are just a family of gamers . . .

Crabby Lioness
12-16-2011, 02:22 AM
This has been a very educational thread. We don't have a Wii or any other type of video game player. I was considering getting one this year, but I'm now finished the shopping for the season. Seems to get very expensive once you figure in the cost of the console, the games, the screen you need to play it on, etc. Still, so many people love it and some of the games seem educational.

Like you, I don't have the screen yet, but I got one for exercise. When it's raining or the temperature is over 100, it's hard to get the kids out of the house.

Virginia
12-17-2011, 08:54 PM
We have the BEST game and my kids LOVE it. Animal Crossing: City Folk. It is excellent. You have a character, that you name, in a town, which you also name. You get a house, which has a mortgage you have to pay by "working.". You pick and sell fruit, catch bugs, and fish to make money. You can buy furniture and decorate your house, too. Best, a big part of the game is writing letters to the other people in town, and you can link up with other Wii users and send letters to friends who also play. It really is great. You also help keep the town clean by planting trees and flowers. The bugs and such you catch can be donated to a museum in your "town" and the owl at the museum will give actual facts about the bugs, fish, fossils, etc. that you find. I highly recommend it!

My DD(7) has this game on her ds and she plays it all the time. The writing letters part is helping her learn to spell basic words. I was rather impressed with it.

Crabby Lioness
03-28-2013, 04:19 PM

My kids like to play Animal Crossing -- when they can pry it away from me. :p