PDA

View Full Version : School at Home - anybody else out there?

Gabriela
11-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Since we started homeschooling, 8 months ago, I've been trying to figure out our Style.
I knew nothing about homeschooling except that it was learning at home.
When I started reading about all these Styles, I was baffled.

It was an unschooler friend who recently kicked me out of denial and just said it:
"Dude, you moved school to your house."
It's not as interesting sounding as the others. It's not as cool, but it's what we do.

I guess, ultimately, I don't have so much a problem with WHAT is taught at school
(or at least what was taught at school back in my days), but HOW it is taught, and the social dynamics around it.

So, alright already!, I'm gonna say it out loud...

Our style is School at Home and it works for us.

Anybody else out there?

MrsLOLcat
11-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Ours is pretty close. I don't have him raise his hand or ask to go to the bathroom, and he gets a say in the curriculum and even how it's implemented, but he sits at a desk and does the work and doesn't necessarily get to choose the curriculum/lesson plans.

Shoe
11-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Ours was very a school at home style the first year, and remains somewhat that way now, though I have relaxed a bit with it.

dbmamaz
11-25-2011, 10:33 AM
I dont think of us as school at home, but you could maybe make an argument for it? Except its really light.

But only because we do use curriculum for many subjects. But there isnt much worksheets and even the writing for Orion is what I consider very light. Orion never had issue with the academics at school as much as the socail stuff. For him, straight-up curriculum or reading assignments works well. but of course we also use a schedule. and i organize by subject.

but very relaxed. ??

lafemmedesfemmes
11-25-2011, 10:33 AM
hmm... as of right now, our schooling style is definitely parent-led as opposed to child-led because i have ideas of what i want my children to learn over the course of their education. i guess we could be called "school at home" because we use some worksheets and our "three r's" are done in a sequential manner. on the other hand, we incorporate ideas from classical education and charlotte mason like studying history sequentially and using "living books" as opposed to textbooks. but, from how i see it, the act of educating a child at home makes the label of "school at home" a non-starter, regardless of how regimented your style ends up being. there are some things that happen at school that just *can't* happen at home. *shrug*

christina in lawrenceville

Gabriela
11-25-2011, 11:07 AM
I definitely don't have my son raise his hand, and I would only call it parent-led because I organize everything, but we are mostly learning together.
I guess I'm calling it School at Home because we do pretty much the same stuff, as in content, that he would at a school, and a lot more.
I'll definitely choose a living book over a textbook, but for us, it depends mostly on what I can find for free on line, or what I have around the house.

I only feel like a teacher in some subjects. My son is almost ahead of me in math, so it's more like we're learning side by side, as well as science.
So I guess calling this our style doesn't quite do it justice, but it's the closest I've come to feeling like THAT's what we do.
Maybe School at Home with Handpicked or Homemade Resources would be a better label.

lynne
11-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Yeah. That pretty much describes our style. The only thing I'm trying to work on is my older son blurts things out constantly and is quick to ask for help. I'm trying to encourage him to first try to solve the problem himself and even skip the ones he struggles with and then go back to them and if he still can't figure it out, then I will help him.

My younger one needs encouragement to work a little more independently too. I want them to learn how to apply themselves a little and being at home, it's convenient for them to ask for help, maybe a little too much.

DragonFaerie
11-25-2011, 11:33 AM
I would definitely call us school at home. My kids have specific assignments for each day, we use workbooks, textbooks, and computer lessons and there is no playtime until school work is finished. They have tests, get grades and get periodic report cards. However, they definitely have more freedom with their work than public school kids. They can decide which subjects they work on when and they can choose to do work from the next day early if they'd like. Occasionally, they can decide to put something off until the next day, too. And of course they don't have to ask to use the bathroom, they are allowed to do their reading in the living room and sometimes DD takes work to her bedroom to do, and DS sometimes needs to run a few laps around the house between subjects. But I'd still call us school at home.

outskirtsofbs
11-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Yes, we do school at home. DD needs structure or not much would get done. We use certain curriculums and workbooks with A LOT of discussions. DD is just like me in the respect that if I can change the wording to something she thinks is cool or is interested in she "gets it". If not, its an uphill battle.

Gabriela
11-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Yes, we do school at home. DD needs structure or not much would get done. We use certain curriculums and workbooks with A LOT of discussions. DD is just like me in the respect that if I can change the wording to something she thinks is cool or is interested in she "gets it". If not, its an uphill battle.

That sounds a lot like my son. If he hears it said two different ways, he gets it.

dottieanna29
11-25-2011, 02:07 PM
I was shooting for a relaxed semi-classical style but since my son doesn't do well with read-alouds and I don't like the science cycle and we don't do much memory work or narration or dictation, I'm thinking we're not. More relaxed eclectic but some people would consider us school at home. We use workbooks (including some public school ones), sit down at desks to do our work, don't do "fun" stuff until work is done and I pretty much decide what we're studying and what we're using to do it. I guess that could change as they get older but this is what my son needs to get anything done right now.

I don't have a problem with public schools. We are homeschooling because I don't think my son with his little quirks would do well in public school but I'm okay with what they teach for the most part. We actually are in an excellent school district and my oldest has always gone to public school. It's just not what's right for my son (and little dd is his shadow so she's staying home too).

dbmamaz
11-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Oh, we dont do any grades or tests . . . in fact, Raven really needs to work on getting math problems right the first time I think . . but otoh, he's doing only the 'challenge' problems, so its ok if occasionally he needs some hints . . .its just the 'do it quick in my head' makes mistakes so easy . . . but at least he's willing to write down steps on more complicated problems now.

PetVet
11-25-2011, 02:30 PM
I would definitely call us school at home. My kids have specific assignments for each day, we use workbooks, textbooks, and computer lessons and there is no playtime until school work is finished. They have tests, get grades and get periodic report cards. However, they definitely have more freedom with their work than public school kids. They can decide which subjects they work on when and they can choose to do work from the next day early if they'd like. Occasionally, they can decide to put something off until the next day, too. And of course they don't have to ask to use the bathroom, they are allowed to do their reading in the living room and sometimes DD takes work to her bedroom to do, and DS sometimes needs to run a few laps around the house between subjects. But I'd still call us school at home.

Except for the report cards, this sounds very much like our house. This is our first year tho, and DS has already asked about his 'report card', so perhaps they are coming! :)

Stella M
11-25-2011, 04:59 PM
This year dd14 pretty much schooled at home. Neither of us found it very rewarding, so we are going back to a CM style education. For some weird reason, I lost confidence in it for Grade 8; go figure!

Whatever works; people are more than their homeschooling style :)

DragonFaerie
11-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Except for the report cards, this sounds very much like our house. This is our first year tho, and DS has already asked about his 'report card', so perhaps they are coming! :)

My kids like to show Daddy their report cards and tell Grama and Papa about their grades. hehehehe

Mrs. Weasley's Wand
11-25-2011, 08:14 PM
I think we look "schooly" to others with a more relaxed approach, though I don't consider it to be a label that works particularly well. I make a lot of the decisions, but I'm also the one with the most experience, both in teaching and the most experience as a learner. I am much better at creating the atmosphere in which my son (who is the only one old enough to be "formally" homeschooling) will make progress, but what he thinks and cares about does matter to me. Things that are straight out of a school (I was a teacher for awhile) sometimes show up in the house because they are beneficial, others got tossed because they make no sense, either for the space we have, the number of kids we have, the type of kids we have, or the fact that I hated doing whatever "it" is now, and I'm sure as heck not gonna do it now that I'm not getting paid. Currently, getting dressed falls into that category most frequently, as does having children recite the Pledge before I think they are ready to make the decision to do so on their own.

I do use some regular forms of assessments and record keeping, but those things tend to be more observational and designed to show progress over time. I came from a district that was not big on tests and did not give grades until children were in sixth grade, so it honestly just doesn't occur to me to do that at home until I hear others are doing it.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
11-25-2011, 09:16 PM
hmm... as of right now, our schooling style is definitely parent-led as opposed to child-led because i have ideas of what i want my children to learn over the course of their education. i guess we could be called "school at home" because we use some worksheets and our "three r's" are done in a sequential manner. on the other hand, we incorporate ideas from classical education and charlotte mason like studying history sequentially and using "living books" as opposed to textbooks.

This describes our style pretty well. We do have a daily and weekly schedule but no tests or grades. I like to think of it as "Better-Than-School (At Home...Sometimes in Pajamas...with Lots of Breaks)".

farrarwilliams
11-25-2011, 09:37 PM
This depends on your perspective I guess. We have a set time for school in the morning. We have curricular things, including workbooks. We do lessons and so forth. We do spelling tests (though no other kind). We do assessments every other month.

BUT... we don't do any other tests. We don't do grades. We don't have desks. We don't raise hands. We do lots of projects and hands on things. We read aloud constantly. We do phonics and copywork and mastery based math. Our assessments are portfolio based. The kids have a say in what they work on during the day. One of my kids is mostly going curriculum-less with something as essential as math right now. We're done with school by 10 or 11 in the morning most days, and earlier when we have something else to do. We spend most of the day playing.

We definitely have structure, but it's hard for me to embrace the whole "school at home" label when I feel like what we do is really different from what kids do in school. So... yeah...

Gabriela
11-25-2011, 09:39 PM
I like to think of it as "Better-Than-School (At Home...Sometimes in Pajamas...with Lots of Breaks)".

Definitely!

laundrycrisis
11-25-2011, 09:59 PM
School at home here. Definitely parent-led and structured. No tests and grades though.

Staysee34
11-25-2011, 11:18 PM
School at home here. Definitely parent-led and structured. No tests and grades though.

Yeah, this is pretty much the way we do things, too. We do assess Math and Spelling but both are mastery programs. I don't grade anything beyond a "Good Job" or something at the top of their papers.

Gabriela
11-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Yeah, I think I'll stick with School at Home in Pajamas.

Riceball_Mommy
11-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Even though we use a "school in a box" curriculum, we don't use everything that comes with it and don't follow the instructions always. We don't use the tests at all because I feel like I'm right there with her watching her do the work, I don't need a test to tell me if she's learning or not. She thrives on workbooks but we'll also take the time to get up and move around, get hands on with a concept if we need to. We were having a bit of trouble with addition so I set up a number line on the floor and had her hop to solve the problem. I'm also starting to relax a bit with our schedule and we are following different ideas as they coming up and researching things she becomes interested in. Personally I think we are a bit school at home with some unschooling tendencies.

theWeedyRoad
11-26-2011, 10:45 AM
We do tend to be school-at-home to a certain extent, I suppose. It wasn't supposed to be that way, but if allowed to, say, work on the couch my kids don't get their work done, get horribly distracted, and what they ultimately complete is FAR from their best effort.

We are schooly in that we sit around the table, we follow a very basic plan for the year, and we do use worksheets (my kids don't mind them.. my dd loves them actually). We do cover all subjects each year, we do have definite subject separations. But this is what works! My kids demanded report cards, so they get them. They get VERY infrequent tests but they do get them. I have a plan for what to get done each day. I prepare the work ahead of time.

Primarily we are teacher/parent led, but I do try to have wiggle room in there. dd will tell me what she'd like to study for sci, and if I can pull it together for her, that's what she'll learn about. My ds chooses his own books for reading, and if he hates it 3 pages in, he is allowed to choose something else. I listen if they are bored with something, and either shorten it and do discussion instead, or try to make it more interesting. I try to include as much 'fun' stuff as I can (super easy for dd, much harder for ds), and we'll take the day off if we need to for reasons ps would scoff at (which means my kids are MUCH better students because they know I'll listen).

All that said, dd still raises her hand occasionally, and ALWAYS asks to get a drink or go to the bathroom. That reflects personality more than our homeschool, though, since I've told her she doesn't need to do either but she still chooses to.

dbmamaz
11-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Yeah, i dont generally consider myself school at home (i'm sure you've all gotten tired of me repeating 'very relaxed ecclectice'), but i'm certainly IMO closer to that end than to unschooling.