PDA

View Full Version : How to quote more than one post in one response and a link question

BPier12
05-19-2010, 09:46 PM
I've noticed that some more techinically saavy members than I are able to quote more than one post in a single reply. How do you do that? Also, those same technically saavy people are able to name their links instead of having the whole web address appear. For example "Secular Homeschool" instead of www.secularhomeschool.com. Any guidance on how to accomplish that?

Thanks!

Shoe
05-19-2010, 10:08 PM
I've noticed that some more techinically saavy members than I are able to quote more than one post in a single reply. How do you do that?! Here's how I do it, though there may be an easier way.
1. For first quote, just click "reply with quote".
2. Type your message.
3. a. To add a second quote which identifies the person quoted; right click on the "reply with quote" and then "open in new tab". Use "Ctrl C" to copy the whole quote from the reply box in the new tab, and then use "Ctrl V" to paste it into the reply window in the original tab. Type your response and "Post quick reply"

3. b. To add a second quote without identifying the person quoted; copy and paste the desired text to be quoted using Ctrl C and Ctrl V into the reply window. Use [ QUOTE ] without the spaces before the quote and [ /QUOTE ] after the quote (again leaving out the spaces. Type your response and post reply.

Also, those same technically saavy people are able to name their links instead of having the whole web address appear. For example "Secular Homeschool" instead of www.secularhomeschool.com. Any guidance on how to accomplish that?

Type the word you want to put as a title over the link. Highlight it, then click on the link icon. A box will prompt you for the link. Enter the link and it will then show up over the title. There's another way, by typing the code out in full, but this is the easiest.

Hope that helps.

BPier12
05-20-2010, 07:43 AM
Here's how I do it, though there may be an easier way.
1. For first quote, just click "reply with quote".
2. Type your message.
3. a. To add a second quote which identifies the person quoted; right click on the "reply with quote" and then "open in new tab". Use "Ctrl C" to copy the whole quote from the reply box in the new tab, and then use "Ctrl V" to paste it into the reply window in the original tab. Type your response and "Post quick reply"

3. b. To add a second quote without identifying the person quoted; copy and paste the desired text to be quoted using Ctrl C and Ctrl V into the reply window. Use [ QUOTE ] without the spaces before the quote and [ /QUOTE ] after the quote (again leaving out the spaces. Type your response and post reply.

Type the word you want to put as a title over the link. Highlight it, then click on the link icon. A box will prompt you for the link. Enter the link and it will then show up over the title. There's another way, by typing the code out in full, but this is the easiest.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Shoe!! I will give those suggestions a try and see what happens.

Topsy
05-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Shoe, I officially deem you "technical support stand-in". You do a great job!! Thanks for helping out!!

Shoe
05-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Shoe, I officially deem you "technical support stand-in". You do a great job!! Thanks for helping out!!

Aww, shucks...and I notice I'm now a "guru" too. I'm going to have to buy a bigger hat :D

Snoopy
05-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Aww, shucks...and I notice I'm now a "guru" too. I'm going to have to buy a bigger hat :D WOOHOO! Congrats and thanks for posting so much. I enjoy reading you :)

Shoe
05-20-2010, 08:06 PM
WOOHOO! Congrats and thanks for posting so much. I enjoy reading you :)

I pale in comparison with you, Ms. 665 posts! But thanks. I always look forward to reading your posts too. Me, sometimes I just think I'm babbling on about nothing, so I'm glad somebody finds my ramblings enjoyable. :D

reversemigration
05-21-2010, 01:03 AM
Aww, shucks...and I notice I'm now a "guru" too. I'm going to have to buy a bigger hat :D

Congrats, Shoe. You've moved up into the big leagues. Not to mention that you accompany quantity with quality!