PDA

View Full Version : Gluten free pie crusts

dbmamaz
11-17-2011, 07:40 PM
My pie crust can be rolled out between 2 sheets of wax paper or, if you dont put too much water in, on a sheet of wax paper while repeatedly dusting the pin with corn starch. The flour mix needs to be mostly starch (tho it doenst have to be exactly what I state of course), and i now use other bean flours . . .you might be able to sub some other flour like rice . . . but the coconut flour really helps the flavor. however, while we LOVE this with pot pie and the attached salmon pie recipe, its just not as good for sweet pies.

http://dbmamaz.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/gfcf-tasty-pie-crust/

For tarts, I used a tart crust, I think this was the one:
Gf crust:
3/4 c rice flour mix
3/4 c almond flour
1/3 c powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 t xanthan gum (scant)
1 stick cold butter
1 egg
Pulse the dry ingredients together in the food processor, then cut up the butter and add that. Pulse until butter is about the size of peas. Beat the egg, and add while the processor is running. Keep mixing until the dough starts to come together. Pat the crust into a tart pan, prick all over with a fork, and freeze for half an hour or so. Preheat the oven to 375. Lightly grease the shiny side of a piece of foil, and press it down on top of the crust and over the edges. Bake 25 minutes. Take off the foil and fill as you would like, then bake again. If the edges get too brown, cover them with foil, but even dark brown the crust is still delicious and perfect.

but obviously subbing something for the butter (i'm gfcf)

For chocolate pie I use an almond crust
1 and 1/2 cups almond meal or almond flour
3 tablespoons melted butter
3 tablespoons sugar

Preparation:
Heat oven to 350 F. Melt the butter (if the pie pan is microwave safe, melt the butter in it) and mix the ingredients up in the pan and pat into place with your fingertips.

Bake for about 10 minutes until the crust is beginning to brown. After 8 minutes, check every minute or so, because once it starts to brown it goes quickly.

and for apple pie I make a cobbler:
Ingredients
• 1/2 cup gf flour mix
• 1/2 cup rolled quinoa
• 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
• 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 pinch salt
• 1/2 cup margerine
• cup coarsely chopped nuts
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, combine flours, flakes, sugar, nutmeg, and salt. Mix to blend thoroughly. Cut in the butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in walnuts. Crumble over apples to cover completely.
3. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until top is lightly browned. Serve warm or at room temperature.

skrink
11-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks for this! I'm going to do a test run this weekend - can't have too much pie! :)

dbmamaz
11-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Oh, wanted to point out that I did once make 'pop tarts' (not toaster safe) using a variation on my pie crust, and it was tasty and rollable - i rolled it on wax paper of an appropriate size that I could put the filling on, with the crust stillon the wax paper, and fold it over. you might try this for fruit pies: "Crust: use my pie crust recipe, but increase sugar to cup. Replace lemon/water w 1 egg beaten w 1 tb lemon juice. "

dragonfly
11-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Very nice! When I make a one-crust pie or quiche in gf dough, I'll just squish the dough into the pie plate, using a sheet of cling film over it so it doesn't stick to my hands.

Do you ever have problems getting your top crust transferred to the pie in one piece? i usually have to do a lot of sealing all along the many fault lines that develop, even when I use wax paper, cling film, or one of those round plastic pie dough maker things with the zipper around the circumference.

Where do you get almond flour? I don't think I've seen it in any of the stores around here. Just Bob's almond meal. How's the price compared to other gf flours?

Amanadoo
11-18-2011, 12:31 AM
In the almond flour one, do you think it would negatively affect the texture a lot if I used honey instead of sugar? Sweetness, I wouldn't worry about, just texture. Thanks for posting these!

dbmamaz
11-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Yes, they always break while transferring - i was just wondering if it might work, instead, to roll it out on parchment paper and put the paper in the pie pan?

almond meal and almond flour i use interchangebly

Honey, i have no idea ... it would likely make it less crisp?

Kokopelli
11-18-2011, 08:19 PM
In the almond flour one, do you think it would negatively affect the texture a lot if I used honey instead of sugar? Sweetness, I wouldn't worry about, just texture. Thanks for posting these!

Honey, i have no idea ... it would likely make it less crisp?

Honey definitely makes it less crisp. I've made shortbread cookies using that exact recipe and subbing even just 1 TBSP of honey for sugar makes a much softer cookie. (Still utterly delicious! But not as crisp/dry as a shortbread or pie crust "should" be.)

dbmamaz
11-18-2011, 09:35 PM
thanks, Carolina!

dbmamaz
02-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Bump - my pie crust recipes, including apple crisp

skrink
02-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Ooops!! Totally forgot this was out there. What do you sub for the butter?

dbmamaz
02-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Hmm. the version of the tart crust on my ipad says margerine in the ingredients and shortening in the directions. I guess i was using earth balance? and 1/8th cup regular sugar instead of the powdered sugar. i really should keep better notes if i'm going to share this stuff, huh?!