PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Saginaw, MI

MikeJ
05-19-2010, 04:48 PM
My wife and I have recently made the decision to homeschool our 12 year old son. We made the decision because of the harassment by other by a few other students at the public school that he attends now. It caused his self-esteem and confidence to plummet this year to the point he was not learning anything. He changed into a very unhappy person.

My wife and have both been certified teachers for short periods and are now retired. We feel confident that we will be able to do a far better job than the public schools. We are currently trying to find a curriculum package that we can use. I have been trying to find local support groups but it seems that in this area all seem to be parochial in nature.

I am hoping that this forum will be able to help us get started in the right direction.

-Mike

pandahoneybee
05-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Hello Mike and Mike's wife~
Welcome to the site;) There is alot of good information on our resource page (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/192-resources)
And I found a page that has the homeschool group listed for MI herehttp://www.home-school.com/groups/MI.html
I know how you both are feeling, we pulled both boys out but it was my oldest (who was in 5th grade at the time) who had the self confidence issues, both with the education and the social parts. He had kids throwing rocks and calling him names at recess that broke us all down.
But it sounds like you both have a leg up from me with being retired teachers;)

If I see anything else that might help I will post it for you all, and I am sure that some of the other members will chime in with words of wisdom also!

Happy Homeschooling~

Shoe
05-19-2010, 05:43 PM
We made the decision because of the harassment by other by a few other students at the public school that he attends now. It caused his self-esteem and confidence to plummet this year to the point he was not learning anything. He changed into a very unhappy person...I am hoping that this forum will be able to help us get started in the right direction...-MikeHey Mike, welcome to the site! Nice to see another homeschooling dad here-there are at least 5 or 6 here, including members from the USA, Canada and Great Britain. I hope you'll join the Homeschool Dads group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=10) on the groups page here too.

I've been homeschooling my 13 year old since October of this year for various reasons, but plan to bring my 11 year old daughter home next year for almost exactly the same reasons that you give (if you change "he" to "she" that could have been written by me).

I've been finding a lot of support and good advice in this forum, and people are quite friendly. I look forward to your perspective as a teacher and father as you travel along this journey.

Cheers.

Snoopy
05-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Welcome Mike! Ah, I've always wanted to visit Saginaw :) My husband grew up around Detroit but I've never been to MI.

How sad that your son was so bullied that it affected his personality and self-esteem. People claim that school prepares them for the real world, but if that's their real world, they can keep it. Congratulations on making the best decision for your son and good luck on your journey. Hopefully we can provide all the help and advice you need, and you can clue on on some resources and teaching methods as well.

BPier12
05-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Hi and Welcome, Mike!

We lived in Michigan for three years in the Muskegon area and just moved to Florida from there in January of this year. I am definitely missing the cooler weather!

My husband and I have a 12 year old son also, and we are just beginning the homeschooling journey too. Our son has been in both public and private schools, but we feel at this point in time it is best for him to be home so that we can challenge him in ways that the schools don't seem to be able to do.

I'm so sorry that your son has had to suffer abuse from other students and I hope that your decision to homeschool him will help him rebuild his self-esteem and confidence .

This forum is wonderful. Everyone here is supportive and helpful and I've found a wealth of information and resources. I hope that you will will find it helpful too!

schwartzkari
05-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Hi Mike, I grew up in Michigan. I lived in Belding for 17 years, moved to Texas after that.
Welcome to the group :)

reversemigration
05-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Welcome, Mike! I'm glad to see you joining the swelling ranks of homeschooling dads here. :)

We, too, are homeschooling next year for reasons of harassment and bullying, among other reasons. It's so incredibly frustrating and saddening when schools refuse to take this issue seriously.

What I hope will be the flip side of this coin for all of us is that our decisions will result not only in resolving the problems we had at school, but to paraphrase what you said, that we'll do a better job in general. What begins as an act to save your kid ends up letting them truly blossom.

So it's good to see you here, and I hope you'll find that it's a wonderfully supportive forum, with many knowledgeable people - particularly those who've been doing this for a while!

camaro
05-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi, Mike. I'm a Canadian homeschool dad and started homeschooling my boys last August. It's great that you found this site as I've certainly found it to be my most valuable resource for homeschooling and even things that aren't even slightly related. :)

Topsy
05-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Glad to have you here, Mike!! Be sure and add yourself to the Michigan group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=69), if you haven't already. And do check our resource page for listings of secular/inclusive support groups in Michigan. It can sometimes feel like you are the only secular homeschooler in your whole area, but I assure you...there are others out there! It's just a matter of locating them!! Hope you enjoy the site...

wuffers
05-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Hello Mike! Boy can I relate- my son has had a similar experience although he is a little younger. For who knows why, my son has been on the recieving end of torment too. We have gotten past the worst of it with his self esteem intact, but he's 9- if it kept on going year after year, who knows how he'd end up. It's just not a healthy situation, and life is too short to spend a good portion of your day surrounded by people who don't accept you while you are trying to learn. It really takes the focus off of the whole point of school- being an educated person and having decent relationships. Of course not everyone is going to like everyone else, but there is a basic level of decency that I expect from my children and the people they spend their time with.

Anyhow, welcome to the board!

MikeJ
05-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the reply, We lived in Florida for 18 years in Cape Coral. We moved back up here in 2004 mostly to be closer to family. We often wish for the warm weather!

Mike

MikeJ
05-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks to all who replied. I am afraid I may have overstated my credentials. My wife, Camille, and I each have about one year experience full time teaching. I subbed for a few years previous to that. Both of us have been out of it for quite some time. -Mike

Shoe
05-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks to all who replied. I am afraid I may have overstated my credentials. My wife, Camille, and I each have about one year experience full time teaching. I subbed for a few years previous to that. Both of us have been out of it for quite some time. -Mike

My wife and have both been certified teachers for short periods and are now retired-Mike

Doesn't sound like you overstated it to me. I've got a few years (i.e. 2) of college level teaching, but have never been a certified teacher for elementary, middle or high school. I don't think you need to be a certified teacher, or even college educated, to homeschool, either. But I respect and value the opinions of those who have taken the time and gotten teacher certification, no matter how long. But home education is definitely a different animal than public education, though you'll be able to bring a lot of your education and experience to the homeschooling environment...

pandahoneybee
05-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Teaching is teaching! I think that it is a worth wild profession I just couldn't teach any but my boys! They are hard enough and I can use grounding when they are acting up. When you are a teacher you can send them to the principal and thats about it!
Welcome again, I am sure that you can give us some helpful insights!