PDA

View Full Version : we need censorship, please.

Ellie's mom
11-13-2011, 08:32 PM
I really need help; I could cry.
My DD9 does not want to see horrific images. Fox promos of Walking Dead, Crimes Against Nature, I Survived, among others, are continuing to appear with her chosen programs.

We use cable Nat Geo, Animal Planet and Discovery as curriculum whenever it fits. Viewing times are typically early afternoon as scheduling aims at after-school audience. I have to sit with her, remote in hand, because we never know what images she will be bombarded with on a promo.

Our local Nat Geo HQ is Hong Kong and 2yrs ago I thought it was a one-off problem when they aired inappropriate promos: now I am being fobbed off, below.
No response directly from Fox, Discovery or Animal Planet.

Is this an issue in the States at all? Are flesh eating zombies okay for kids? Blood splatter-effect screens? I asked on our local expat forum and only got told not to let my kid watch t.v. at all if I was a good parent. Ya, tell it to the social worker!

What do I do?

cheers,
Pat

Correspondence so far:

Hi Pat,

I received your email asking for our reply. Kindly pls find below our reply which was sent on 4 Nov.

Best regards,

Edwina

Sent: Friday, November 04, 2011 3:30 PM
Subject: Re: evil promo

Hi Pat,
We always treasure our viewers' feedback and have taken prompt action to remove the promo from 5pm - 12am. Thanks again for your viewership and please stay tuned to National Geographic Channel.

Have a nice weekend!
Edwina

Sent: Tue Nov 01 10:05:52 2011

Dear Edwina,

Other inappropriate promos are airing in this early time-slot; please let me know when it is safe to watch Nat Geo again.

cheers,
Pat

Sent: Monday, 31 October 2011, 23:46

Dear Pat,
Thanks for your email, and we are seriously checking this internally with our programming team.

Best, Edwina

oct 31 2011

Dear Ms. Ngao,

while watching Amazonia at 5p.m., my 9yr old daughter was subjected to a promo of the walking dead.

I cannot express my anger and sadness in appropriate language.

I want a prompt reply explaining how this should ever occur on a Nat Geo channel and what steps will be taken to ensure it is not repeated.

respectfully,

KristinK
11-13-2011, 09:06 PM
oh I'd be really upset too!! those kinds of promos are NOT cool, IMO, during "family hours".

not sure what to suggest though....And I don't know about what promos play in our area...

farrarwilliams
11-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Yes, it's a problem here too. But we have a DVR so we never watch ads and we don't face it as an issue very often. Can you record programs instead?

MarkInMD
11-13-2011, 09:19 PM
We don't have cable anymore, although it's not for that. However, I can say that while we're watching a sporting event at my parents' or in-laws' houses, and I see an ad for a violent show, it irks me. My kids don't have bad reactions to them...yet...but I always think of families like yours when I see them. Good for you for taking a stand.

Greenmother
11-13-2011, 10:10 PM
My kids freak out too Mark. And I don't care for zombies either. Its gross and scary looking. I agree. I get tired of that. I mean I enjoy a good adult themed movie once in a while- even a big fan of American Horror but that doesn't mean I want my kids seeing that. It's too graphic.

Resaj
11-13-2011, 10:31 PM
We don't have cable either. Just netflix. Discovery streaming. I think those kinds of ads are very inappropriate and have experienced them at in-laws and friends. DVRs are one solution, though not ideal by any means. Children should be able to watch shows with appropriate content without being subjected to inappropriate content in between.

I just want to suggest the word "discretion". Censorship implies so many many things.

Ellie's mom
11-13-2011, 11:44 PM
How can I find the email of a Fox exec who has the authority to deal with this?
This is all owned by one evil network (getting less and less tolerant with age).
If I was Stateside I'd ask a librarian -they know everything!

Jeni
11-14-2011, 01:24 AM
That happened to me once. My kid were watching a kids movie on FX (okay my bad) at 9 am. Thinking it's okay, I wasn't paying any attention. Up comes a commercial even I wouldn't watch. I was really angry. It was a couple years ago, but I think I wrote to someone and didn't hear back.

I think you have to take what you get with cable. Though I am really surprised they show those commercials on NatGo. We watch that from time to time and I don't think we've ever seen anything objectionable.

Mum
11-14-2011, 09:14 AM
This is one of the reasons we switched to using a Roku Box and Netflix. It cuts out the commercials altogether AND the kids have more options of Educational programming whenever they want And it's way cheaper than cable. Get you some! :)

bcnlvr
11-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Don't get me started on advertising. We ditched our television in 2006 and have never looked back. There is nothing on there that we can't get elsewhere.

jazz
11-14-2011, 10:55 AM
I've seen a few, although we don't watch NatGeo usually. We do have Tivo, and my daughter knows to fast forward through all commercials. That usually works. We have subway posters that are inappropriate too, sadly. We just talk about how someone made it intending to be gross and how it looks yucky and isn't something we'd ever watch or want to see. Can you record them and teach her to fast forward through it all? It doesn't eliminate the yuck, but it does mitigate it at least.

DragonFaerie
11-14-2011, 11:27 AM
I seem to have the opposite problem. My DD wants to watch those programs! Of course I don't let her (she's only 10, after all), but she begged and begged to get to see "Shark Night" awhile back. Ack! But, I like a lot of that kind of programming. Guess she's my kid after all. LOL

coloradoalice
11-14-2011, 03:31 PM
They always run scary ads during sporting events too, in the middle of the day. Makes me so mad, my kids don't want to or need to see someone being zipped up in a body bag while watching football with their dad. Since we have a DVR we've resorted to pausing as soon as commercials start and then forwarding after a few minutes to catch up to the show. It's a pita but it works.