PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Facebook for children

Snoopy
05-19-2010, 08:56 AM
I just saw this article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100519/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_techbit_social_network_for_kids) about a new social network for children named Togetherville (http://togetherville.com/) (ages 6 to 10, although I wonder what 10-12 y/o are supposed to do since you're supposed to be 13 to be on Facebook) and thought it was interesting enough to share since we were discussing how kids can make friends in a thread yesterday and I myself suggested FB. The problem that I have with my own suggestion is that I personally can't stand Facebook. The privacy issue is a huge concern (http://consumerist.com/2010/05/the-devolution-of-privacy-on-facebook.html), although it applies more for accounts created by a person claiming to be 18 or older, from the reports that I have read.

I'd sign Noah up for it but.... I don't have a FB account myself (and don't plan on getting one) and apparently for now you have to create your child's account from your FB login. But there is a notification list that you can sign up for if you don't have FB but are interested in Togetherville.

If you know of other child-friendly online social networks, please post in this thread :)

jab300
05-19-2010, 09:23 AM
The only other one I've heard of is Yoursphere. I was on Facebook for a while, but got tired of hearing about my husband's cousin's wife's farm and an 8th grade boyfriend's latest quest on that gangster game so I gave it up. ;)

Shoe
05-19-2010, 10:32 AM
My kids used to like Club Penguin (http://www.clubpenguin.com/), operated by Disney I believe, when they were a bit younger (actually, I think my daughter still does at age 11). It's kind of an on line game and social network, but fairly strictly controlled if I remember right (you can talk to other people, but there are defined choices and it is against policy to share any personal information with others). There's both a free and a paid version-my kids started free, but I gave my daughter a 6 month paid subscription last year after she wouldn't stop begging me for it.

Wilma
05-19-2010, 10:35 AM
We don't do FB. Dh's job requires a security clearance and they get nervous about things like that, and I just don't like to be "out there" so much anyway.

Melyssa
05-19-2010, 02:16 PM
I don't see how it's any different than a kid being on Facebook with parental supervision. My daughter is on Facebook but via an alias, and only is allowed to have her real life friends, family, or my friends on her list, and her entire account is set to private and non-searchable. Even if someone knew her alias it doesn't come up in a people search. I have no problem with her using FB in this manner and am involved with her account on an almost daily basis so it's no biggie really. I think it's a great way for her to keep in touch with everyone she knows especially after our big move last year.

Shoe
05-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Melyssa,

Both my kids have Facebook accouts too. My daughter doesn't use hers much at all-she prefers Club Penguin. My son updates his status regularly. They're also on My Space, but I haven't seen them even log in there in several months. We've taken similar precautions regarding privacy, and my wife and I are "friends" of both of theirs as well, which makes it easier to take a quick glance at what they're doing. We had some long discussions with them about privacy and security issues on the Internet before opening their accounts too.

ginnyjf
05-20-2010, 10:33 AM
I will admit that Zack has a Facebook account. He also has a blog on LiveJournal, but in both instances his posts are open to only a small group of trusted "friends" that I approve first. I know his passwords and I check his accounts daily. He rarely uses Facebook but he does love to keep his blog updated and I get a kick out of it, too.

2much2luv
05-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Thanks! My oldest is craving on online social life. She's tried meeting some kids through homeschool blogger but that's kind of tough. This will be great I think.

hjdong
05-22-2010, 04:52 PM
The only other one I've heard of is Yoursphere. I was on Facebook for a while, but got tired of hearing about my husband's cousin's wife's farm and an 8th grade boyfriend's latest quest on that gangster game so I gave it up. ;)

This was me. I hated FB.

dbmamaz
05-22-2010, 10:27 PM
First of all, if your kids ages arent in your signature, it would really help if you said their ages when talking about them. Some of us (me!) have horrible memories .. .

I have fb open almost constantly on my pc. My teens both have their own accounts, my son signed up at 13 and used a fake last name. My 6 yo has a club penguin account, but cant really spell yet - he hasnt made any freinds there. He actually has been trying to chat on roblox more. My daughter used to hang out on another site, i havent seen it mentioned, but i cant remember now what it was. They could use html to customize their pages, and thats where she started learning web design.

My husband also has a security clearance and takes his security very seriously due to his job. He did create a fb page (with no work references) only to play 1 game with me, but hasnt logged on in maybe a year. He has instructed me never to mention his job on line.

Not sure if any of that is helpful . . . .