PDA

View Full Version : Sonny is trying out for PS basketball team

mommykicksbutt
11-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Last week our son expressed an interest in playing basketball. There is only one high school here and no sport leagues. Sonny has never played on a basketball team, he has only played street ball, mostly with the high school basketball players out front in the street. After much discussion we decided that he should try to make the team.

So today my hubby and I met with the athletic director (who is also the varsity b-ball coach) for information to see if our son could play ball there (in our estimation with the JV team). We told the coach that sonny is only 14 but is a sophomore, the coach was surprised at this, but when we told him that he was 5'10 1/2" tall and 160 lbs (only 14 y.o. mind you) he smiled real big and asked sonny's shoe size (like a puppy still has to grow into their paws), we told him (sonny wears a men's size 13!). The coach was a flash as he whipped out a physicals form, power of attorney form (for travel to away games), parent's handbook for players, the game schedule, etc. and stuffed them in our hands with a great big happy grin on his face. "Tryouts are this coming Monday at 4, practice starts on Tues at 5 o'clock in the gym. We welcome homeschool students in our athletic programs. We'll be happy to have your son with us this year whether it is the varsity or JV team." Their philosophy here is that anyone interested to tryout for the team will make the team (very small school). Of course we didn't tell our son this, we told him he has to tryout to make the team.

What we didn't tell the coach is that this will be the only year sonny plays with this team because we are moving back to the states this summer. I think this coach had visions of a 6-2 jr and a 6-4 sr in the makings for his varsity time for the next couple of seasons.

This also fulfills a desire for our son. He wants to "letter" in something and earn the letter and get a Letterman's jacket. This will do it for sure.

My only concern is that my son is NOT physically competitive. He's kind of a wimp. I hope this helps him not breaks him. I just wanted to tell someone. I'm happy my son actually wants to do a team sport that is competitive and it looks like he'll actually be on a team that travels to other countries to play. The other homeschoolers here are all little ones and the only other homeschool highschooler is away right now.

Accidental Homeschooler
11-10-2011, 01:22 PM
That's great! I hope he loves it.

Mum
11-10-2011, 03:11 PM
I hope he loves it! Where in the states will you be? Maybe he'll be able to continue PS basketball here if he likes it.

pnctink
11-10-2011, 03:47 PM
What a great opportunity! I hope he has a great season. :)

Stella M
11-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Awesome! How lovely to have your son welcomed like that. I guess it will be what it will be, but an adventure and an experience for him for sure. Hope it goes really well for him.

mommykicksbutt
11-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Mum, we'll be moving to FL and there are only 5 PS high schools in the town we are going to (not sure about private high schools yet). Yeah, if he is interested to play there we will most certainly investigate it for him with the brick and mortar schools to try to make it happen. I think it was the fact that sonny is already so tall for his age that is making this so welcoming for him, that might change once they see how terribly he handles the ball though.

PetVet
11-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Sounds like it should be great fun and a wonderful opportunity for your son! :)

raegan
11-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Awesome! How lovely to have your son welcomed like that. I guess it will be what it will be, but an adventure and an experience for him for sure. Hope it goes really well for him.

ditto Melissa. What a great opportunity. If he's been playing street ball, his skills are probably not that far behind his fellow 14yo peers.

I kind of think team sports in particular push us to where we wouldn't ordinarily take ourselves--so hopefully the "wimpiness" won't even be an issue at all. ;)

mommykicksbutt
11-11-2011, 03:48 PM
I kind of think team sports in particular push us to where we wouldn't ordinarily take ourselves--so hopefully the "wimpiness" won't even be an issue at all. ;)

This is my hope as well!

rumbledolly
11-11-2011, 07:38 PM
If he already plays street ball you probably have nothing to worry about. I was never an overly aggressive player playing in Jr HS and 2 years in HS. Most of the skills I had came from playing street ball in the alley behind our house with a bunch of older kids. I refined my skills and understanding of the rules while playing in school with a coach.

I wish him great success. My DD has said she doesn't want to play BBall in the town league this year which is kind of bumming me out. She's a mediocre player at best but she is fast and has decent ball control (she's a horrible dribbler though). I think she's trying to distance herself from any place she'll run into former PS friends but she forgets they never played before so why worry. Especially with the coach she has - he will not tolerate any rude behavior.

If he really loves it and becomes a famous player can you suggest to him going pro and playing for the Boston Celtics?!!

mommykicksbutt
11-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Tryouts are over, sonny made the JV team. I watched the tryouts, I noticed the wrestling coach and his son (also on the wrestling team) keep poking their heads in during tryouts. After they were over and we left the gym walking back to the car the wrestling coach and his son were waiting for us. They want our son join the wrestling team. He can't do both sports at the same time during the same season. They told us sonny would varsity letter wrestling, JV bball is not varsity. (I didn't tell him that since sonny is homeschooled I make that determination of what "lettering" is.) The coach told us to keep them in mind if he decides to quit the bball team (huh?). Sonny is determined to do well with bball. He did briefly consider wrestling but sonny wanted a team sport not an individual sport. I'm very proud of my son, I think I'll volunteer to be team mom.

PetVet
11-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Great news! Not sure what a team mum does, but I've managed one of my son's hockey teams for several years now and quite enjoy it.

Congrats to your son! :)

raegan
11-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Ha, I think it's kind of ironic that you seem to have painted this image of your son as a kind of gangly, not-really-athletic kid...but the coaches are drooling over him. :)

Congrats to him and good luck this season!

coloradoalice
11-14-2011, 04:26 PM
That's great! I hope he has a wonderful time!!

mommykicksbutt
11-15-2011, 04:55 AM
Ha, I think it's kind of ironic that you seem to have painted this image of your son as a kind of gangly, not-really-athletic kid...but the coaches are drooling over him. :)

Congrats to him and good luck this season!

Thanks everyone, I'm passing all of this on to him and he thanks everyone too.

I don't know about drooling XD but it is a very small school and sonny is fresh meat there. They see a tall, strong jock looking kid and every coach wants to get their meat hooks into him for their team because every team has spots to fill. Even the football coach showed up to check everyone out and football season just ended here (sonny won't be here next year and we won't let him play football anyway)

It's not that he's not athletic, because he is, gymnastics team (he was lord of the still rings), fencing team (youngest member on the middle school team), black belt in tae kwan do (on the demo team), blue belt in kenpo (on the demo team), but he's never played "ball" and never played a team sport. He's 5'10.5" tall and 160 lbs, works out 5-6 days a week with his dad in the gym, the boy is bilt and the girls notice (and makes a few of the skinny guys jelous). It's just the "team" aspect that he really doesn't have any experience with, he's always relyed on himself to get the job done. Even when the boys play street ball it's everyone for themselves. We'll see how well he plays with others (literally). It'll be an adventure which I think will be good for him, it's an adventure he wants. I'm glad he choice bball over wrestling (another individual sport). Now if we can just get the wrestling coach's kid to leave it alone (he's a neighbor and a friend).