PDA

View Full Version : Physical activity

gidamom
11-06-2011, 08:01 PM
So I think my kids are gaining weight and getting out of shape since we started hs. This is of course, totally MY fault. I have not known how to incorporate physical activity into our days. I REALLY REALLY want them to be physically active and learn how important this is to our well being. Yet I suck at teaching it :( I do yoga a lot, but the kids do not want to do it with me (much to my chagrin)...

So how do all of you get your kids to exercise?? My kids are very much arts/performing/music oriented and do not enjoy any sports, though they've tried them all. Also, I'm finding it hard to "force" the exercise because of their ages(12 and 10).

I'd love to hear any ideas...this is truly important to me!

dbmamaz
11-06-2011, 08:16 PM
My kids are in awful shape too. my 15 yo is on meds which make him gain a lot of weight - it crept in to obese this year, I think. My 8 yo was so tired he wanted to sit down this weekend . . . we'd driven 45 minutes to go to a historical site and he didnt last 30 minutes? But . . . if he's playing with freinds he can run around for 30 minutes with only occasional breaks!

So what we do: we walk the dog together once a day. I used to also make htem walk him around the block once a day without me, but i've kinda given up on that one.

We do martail arts together. We found a home school family class. We go together twice a week for an hour, and dh takes them saturday morning.

We go to park day when the weather is good enough. There arent many kids Orion's age or within 3 years even, but i bring the dog and make him walk it twice. Raven plays most of the time, if there are any kids he likes, which gets SOME excersise. Raven also sometimes plays w kids in the neighborhood.

thats it. Well, we have wii fit which they occasoinally get on - i was trying to enforce that for a while, too, but . . . sigh. not my strength either.

Teri
11-06-2011, 08:21 PM
My kids are all in German dancing. They practice once per week and we have performances a lot in the fall.
The girls take ballet. Right now they are rehearsing for an abbreviated Nutcracker and my 11 yo son was recruited to be in it, also.
Joseph is in scouts. They do a lot of hiking.
They walk the dogs around the block and go down to the park to play (4 houses away).

My kids are NOT athletic and do not like sports at all. However, two of them are underweight, so we don't have to worry about their activity too much as far as weight goes.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
11-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Both kids take swimming lesson and we're going to try to get them to "open swim" once a week as well. My son also takes karate twice a week. Weight isn't an issue, but burning off steam is a necessity for my hyperactive boy! They're still young enough to enjoy playgrounds (which I realize yours aren't, Gidamom) and each has a bike or scooter.

My ideas would be swimming, wii fit, line dancing, walking, or biking. YMCA's and health clubs often have cool things like rock climbing walls and exercise classes for kids.

Lak001
11-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Omg! I was ridden with guilt for dd not getting enough physical exercise, that last week I enrolled her in an indoor soccer class. She does gymnastics class every once in two weeks, and figured that wasn't being sufficient. And now that winter's setting in, the opportunity to be outdoors is very sparse.

That is one thing we HSers have to be really careful about. Making sure our children are getting enough exercise. Do you have indoor soccer places near your place ? With winter it would be a good option.

KristinK
11-06-2011, 08:51 PM
once/week we have a homeschoolers swim and gym class - they do 30 min of running games/etc in the gym, then 30min swimming lessons. Aside from that, it's long walks in the 'hood, bike riding (my 8yr old now bikes the 5km with me once/week when I run), snow shoeing and cross-country skiing at least 2x/week in the winter.

Is hiking an option in your area?

farrarwilliams
11-06-2011, 09:28 PM
My boys do soccer in the spring and fall (though we may do softball next spring instead). We hike or go for walks in the woods when the weather is good, we walk to the subway and in the neighborhood, and they play hard pretty regularly. It helps that they're still young enough to get full use of a playground, you know? When the weather is colder, we still walk in the hood and to the subway, but we also try to go swimming once a week (though it's probably more like once every other week) and to do an open gym once every other week or so. We also tend to do Wii Fit in the winter some if we get stuck inside. I find that the kids sort of naturally gravitate toward doing it (they like the games) when they're really stuck inside.

My kids aren't especially athletic or coordinated, though they're not hopeless. I'm the one who should really get out more and make more of an effort!

Vashti
11-06-2011, 10:27 PM
My girls are only 3 and 5, but they do gymnastics once a week. That's it though. I really need to get them outside more, and I've been very complacent about that lately. We live right on the highway, and our yard isn't fenced in. I'm always worried that one of them will run toward the road, and with a 1yo in tow also, it gets hard to herd them all sometimes. We do yoga together about once a week also, but its more fun than anything serious at this age. They are getting accustomed to it though, and they enjoy the names of the poses.

When they are older I think I'll take Sue Patrick's advice and require that they put in some time on the treadmill and use the Wii Fit as part of their studies.

Lak001
11-06-2011, 10:36 PM
My boys do soccer in the spring and fall (though we may do softball next spring instead). We hike or go for walks in the woods when the weather is good, we walk to the subway and in the neighborhood, and they play hard pretty regularly. It helps that they're still young enough to get full use of a playground, you know? When the weather is colder, we still walk in the hood and to the subway, but we also try to go swimming once a week (though it's probably more like once every other week) and to do an open gym once every other week or so. We also tend to do Wii Fit in the winter some if we get stuck inside. I find that the kids sort of naturally gravitate toward doing it (they like the games) when they're really stuck inside.

My kids aren't especially athletic or coordinated, though they're not hopeless. I'm the one who should really get out more and make more of an effort!

My dd isn't very athletic either. In fact she is über artsy :) its just that I think she needs some exercise that I push her in to some sports. She usually is hesitant in the beginning, but when she has tried a couple of classes she likes it. Also, she is vegetarian, so that doesn't help at all to keep up her stamina in any sport. One more reason why we are not the sports type :)

Ayem
11-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Gidamom, I was almost going to write an identical post! This has been troubling me a bit. They just don't get the same run around that they did at school. We tend to do fairly long walks with the dog. But she's not a team sport player. I tried fencing. Nope. Gym. Nope. I was thinking of a trampolining class, but she just won't participate in physical activities with other kids. Idk. Yoga, she'll do, but I think she needs something more aerobic. Mostly I just need to be more disciplined about it, I guess.

MrsLOLcat
11-06-2011, 11:56 PM
DS got on the swim team this year, but if he hadn't joined that, I'd have signed him up for a local homeschool gym class because I'm awful at doing anything "P.E." at home. They both enjoy running around outdoors, but in the 100-degree heat of the summer or the sub-freezing cold of the winter, that's not particularly helpful. We also have a couple of yoga videos that DD especially likes.

lakshmi
11-07-2011, 12:16 AM
My kids are all in German dancing. They practice once per week and we have performances a lot in the fall.
The girls take ballet. Right now they are rehearsing for an abbreviated Nutcracker and my 11 yo son was recruited to be in it, also.
Joseph is in scouts. They do a lot of hiking.
They walk the dogs around the block and go down to the park to play (4 houses away).

My kids are NOT athletic and do not like sports at all. However, two of them are underweight, so we don't have to worry about their activity too much as far as weight goes.

Teri: In my mind your kids are all so nice and perky and you have the most randomly interesting things to say. German Dancing!!!

Here we stay away from things that cost money. But we have a very long driveway, a couple of bikes and a scooter. And I try to make the girls carry firewood. But this doesn't always work. They are not overweight but if we go a cookie binge for example they seem to gain a little. Then we serve them lots of vegetables that the choose not to eat so the weight comes right off.

Stella M
11-07-2011, 12:26 AM
Walk instead of drive is my best suggestion. We use our cars too much.

Also, watch how frequently you can all snack now you are at home with easy access to the refrigerator! Some weight gain due to an increase in snacking isn't actually all that uncommon when transitioning to home school.

Gabriela
11-07-2011, 12:35 AM
When my son has had too much indoor time, I have him create an obstacle course in the yard, draw a map of it, and then go through it several times. For instance: run around the tree, jump over the log, do 10 calf raises on the steps, limbo under the broom... They can log how many times they go through it each day and try to increase it daily. The log weirdly makes it more exciting or something, for my boy anyway.

*what I especially like about this is that I don't need to get involved, or can just cheer from the sidelines

bibiche
11-07-2011, 03:12 AM
DS loves the outdoors and gets a lot of walking/hiking/biking/running around in and also has a few hours of outdoor HS classes per week (naturalist class and a farm class), but for when the weather is ultra-sucky (it's coming soon here. ugh.) we have the most awesome mini-trampoline known to man. It doesn't even occur to him that it is exercise because it is so much fun. It was crazy expensive, but money well-spent.
Oh yes, and I second the rock climbing gym idea -- great, fun, challenging exercise that doesn't seem like exercise. We found a groupon for our local place and I am glad we tried it.

Jackielyn
11-07-2011, 04:51 AM
My kids thrive on sports so this isn't something I've had to think about much (except when we were moving and my kids were stir CRAZY!) I've thought about non-team sports for my MDS because he likes to do his own thing. I've looked into running clubs and swim teams (he's only 6 so too young), martial arts, dance, gymnastics...if they are resistant to classes and whatnot how about just trying to work in a walk everyday, make it part of your routine. Also teaching proper nutrition is key to weight loss.

Pefa
11-07-2011, 05:42 AM
sometimes the trick isn't to think of it as sustained exercise but just the little changes: if you can't walk to your destination, park as far away from the entrance as possible, use stairs not elevators, look at what's available for snacking on. I will eat more veggies if they're cut up ahead of time. Don't buy whatever empty calories are your downfall.

I'm not an organized sports person but both boys do parkour and BOO would live at gymnastics if he could. I also kick them outside for at least half an hour each day and we have a dog that needs at least two hours of exercise/day or we all go crazy.

Good for you for addressing this, I think it's easy to shrug it off.

hockeymom
11-07-2011, 05:55 AM
How about trying things as a family? Biking, hiking, skiing are all great family activities that don't need to sound like "exercise" (if that's a bad word to your kids). Maybe consider trying to incorporate regular physical activity into family time--mountain biking, cross country or downhill skiing, tennis, kayaking, bagging mountain peaks in your area...whatever you have access to but that you can enjoy together. Kids at that age may not be into open gym time anymore, but climbing or snowboarding may be just the thing. Or maybe it's more leisurely but still regular: find a new park every weekend or a couple times a months and see how many hiking trails you can discover. If it becomes routine and it's tied into stuff you do together (or maybe it's special "guy time" with dad) it may become harder to resist and more enjoyable.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
11-07-2011, 07:50 AM
When my son has had too much indoor time, I have him create an obstacle course in the yard, draw a map of it, and then go through it several times. For instance: run around the tree, jump over the log, do 10 calf raises on the steps, limbo under the broom... They can log how many times they go through it each day and try to increase it daily. The log weirdly makes it more exciting or something, for my boy anyway.

I love this idea!

Brittaya
11-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Mine are little so the only organized physical activity we do is swimming (didn't do it this fall because of his eye surgery). Other than that I take them to the park once a day and let them go nuts and usually throughout the year we go hiking a lot as a family. When they get older I can enroll them in the local homeschool P.E. classes.

gidamom
11-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Unfortunately, there is no hiking at all in my area :( We would totally love it if there was! There are also very few hs groups, which we have not joined, and no hs PE class at all.

I know that I have to find something that interests them and make it a part of our regular days, or else it will just get worse :(

Tayonoss
11-07-2011, 09:34 AM
My kids use my treadmill everyday. The more hyper they are, the longer they stay on. It hels us here.

Staysee34
11-07-2011, 09:44 AM

*what I especially like about this is that I don't need to get involved, or can just cheer from the sidelines

This is BRILLIANT!! With the weather getting colder, it's difficult to keep my girls outside for extended periods of time. They really don't like cold weather. This is a perfect long term PE project for them to do together. Thanks for posting it.

Mum
11-07-2011, 10:02 AM
DS has ADHD so he burns calories just trying to sit still in a chair. Lol!

In addition, he takes a swimming class and runs. We sign him up for fun runs that he "trains" for. He doesn't do cooperative sports well so running and swimming are good choices for him.

Personally, I worry more about my health while homeschooling. I gained a lot of weight with my last pregnancy and finding time to work it off while being home with the kids has been tricky.

Shoe
11-07-2011, 10:07 AM
So I think my kids are gaining weight and getting out of shape since we started hs. This is of course, totally MY fault. I have not known how to incorporate physical activity into our days. I REALLY REALLY want them to be physically active and learn how important this is to our well being. Yet I suck at teaching it :( I do yoga a lot, but the kids do not want to do it with me (much to my chagrin)...

So how do all of you get your kids to exercise?? My kids are very much arts/performing/music oriented and do not enjoy any sports, though they've tried them all. Also, I'm finding it hard to "force" the exercise because of their ages(12 and 10).

I'd love to hear any ideas...this is truly important to me!

We do Tae Kwon Do at least once weekly as a family-myself, my wife and the kids-and the kids and I have just started P90X (I've done it a few times before and my son has done it with me once before). I find it helps keep me in shape as well as the kids, plus I'm setting a good example that I place a value on fitness and health. (And it makes it a bit harder for them to argue, since I'm doing it too!)

Cafdog
11-07-2011, 10:15 AM
I am a lump, but my kid is a jock. However, she has never liked team sports. After years of ballet, gymnastics, swimming, etc., she has settled on fencing (for now). I think the uber-competitive nature of team sports turns a lot of kids off. Many of my daughter's friends in fencing and dance were/are more artsy, brainy kids who enjoy the movement, strategy, and fun of these activities, but don't care about competing. She also has a once-a-week tennis playdate with another homeschooled buddy who is also a bit excercise-shy. They volley for about 30 minutes, then play in the park for the rest of the time. Perhaps a more friendly sport like tennis or badminton may suit your children.

And, if your local class allows younger children - I happen to love water aerobics. A good workout, easy on the body, and friendly for all sizes and shapes.

One last thought. Have you ever considered bowling? It's a fun, year-round activity (no matter what kind of weather you're having) - and there are lots of kids' leagues. I always negate any calories I burn at bowling by drinking several beers....but I suspect your kids will avoid that. ;)

Cafdog
11-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Oh yes, and I second the rock climbing gym idea -- great, fun, challenging exercise that doesn't seem like exercise. We found a groupon for our local place and I am glad we tried it.

Whoops! Missed this awesome suggestion. My daughter had her 10th birthday party at a rock-climbing gym this spring. The kids loved it! All of them were scrambling up the walls like little spider monkeys. I was worried about DD's best friend, who is the most exercise-shy kid I know, but she was first in line to climb! The kids had so much fun, I think they would have been shocked to know they were exercising. Tee, hee, hee...

Miss Angela
11-07-2011, 10:33 AM
The YMCA/YWCA has lots of classes that are inexpensive and give HS kids a good mix of other ages to mingle with. They usually have structured playtime. The recreation center in my town has a HS Gym and Swim open for kids ages 5-15. They spend one hour per week swimming and another hour per week playing in the gym. We also walk our dogs daily and talk about changes in the trees, streets, grasses etc. Sometimes on our walk we talk about something else or the dogs behavior or something else-its great mother/daughter time.

She loves it--also artsy girl, and no sports yuck!!

ercswf
11-07-2011, 12:03 PM
I've gained weight but not attributed to homeschooling. My Older son has gained weight but that was the goal. As far as activities for my kids we are just an active family. My two boys log about 45-60 minutes a day on their bikes before 7am because they wake up with SO MUCH ENERGY! Then we do an afternoon walk, a work out video in the evening and speckle in them running around with the neighbor hood kids from about 3-5pm. I allow eating all day long but thats because I can't keep my kids full. (My younger son is developing a body greek gods would envy and he's only 7)

Some times just minor changes are all that are needed. Like walking to get books from the library, or for us walking to the store if we only need a hand full of items.

dbmamaz
11-07-2011, 02:39 PM
i cant get my 8 yo to ride a bike for anything. and any time my husband spends 30 minutes out doors, he cant breath for the rest of the day. bah humbug.

Pilgrim
11-07-2011, 06:13 PM
It begins with their interests. If they had no interest at all, I suppose we'd tackle it as we do reading. You have to do it or else more enjoyable things get taken away. At various times, the kids are in soccer, t-ball, dance, and swim. On top of that, we get outside a lot, walking or skating or biking. We hike and ski when weather changes. We plan to begin martial arts in the spring and get DD on the treadmill or bike during the snowy months. I guess it's a mix of organized sports and individual exercise.

jar7709
11-07-2011, 06:21 PM
We are lucky-- rural area with a big yard and trails and woods right out the back door. So when the kids start bouncing off the walls, out they go. Plus there is a lot of great hiking opportunities in this area and we do try to get to a mountaintop fairly regularly. (the kids always beat me to the top...I'm definitely the one in this family that needs to make more of an effort to be active.)

On top of that DD does ballet, and DS just keeps trying different things. He just wrapped up a soccer season, but I don't know if that was a winner so I think he'll try archery next. He's a skinny kid anyway who can't sit still to save his life, so I'm actually hoping archery might help to center him a bit since you actually need to hold still and concentrate in order to hit the bullseye. We'll see.

In bad weather we're not above pulling out the Wii Sports, which I guess is better than nothing. I like the treadmill idea someone had, now if only we had a place to put one. We also have a couple of these bouncy balls around, and they get used a LOT, I find that they can help sneak some activity into the day:

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Bounce-Sport-Fun-Hopper/dp/B00004SU7V/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320708162&sr=8-1

christineoc
11-07-2011, 11:07 PM
I find my daughter gets more exercise than she did in school. She is on a gymnastic team that has a minimum of two 3 hour practices per week. She also just started a stroke/turn swim clinic one or two days a week. As others mentioned, my tendency is to be a lump, and my daughter has lots of energy, so we work a lot in during the day: walking to the post office or store while discussing our latest subject, walking the dogs, riding bikes with dad, "Just Dance" workout on Wii, and, her current favorite, jumping rope, hula hooping or dribbling a basketball while practicing for the spelling bee.

Avalon
11-08-2011, 12:24 AM
I make a conscious effort to keep my kids involved in activities and outings that involve exercise. In previous years, the kids took gymnastics and swimming lessons. Those were their two weekly big phys-ed "anchors." On top of that, they sometimes walk the dog with me, we go skating/skiing/toboganning weekly, or we just go for a trail walk or bike ride. I try to get them doing something every day.

This year, my son started taekwondo, which is twice a week. He's also a member of Cub Scouts, and they meet once a week. Their meetings always involve some kind of running around or big-group active games. He is still at an age where he will just play hard with his friends.

My dd, however, is turning into a real couch potato. We were away for all of September, so I didn't register her in the usual swimming & gymnastics, so right now she is doing nothing. I am making her walk the dog with me every day. We'll have another opportunity to sign up for activities starting in January. This is a really bad time of year because it's too cold to enjoy walking or going to the park, but not cold enough for skating/skiing/toboganning. I hate November.