PDA

View Full Version : Cold/Flu Season Recipes?

dragonfly
11-03-2011, 01:20 PM
What's your favorite recipe for...soup, tea, comfort food, herbal remedy, whatever...when you have a cold or the flu?

I have two recipes for a kind of tea, both of which have usually helped me feel better when I'm miserable:

Garlic, Ginger, Lemon, Honey Tea: Take a clove of garlic, crush it (it doesn't need to be pulverized, just a whack or two with the flat of a knife), grate some ginger root (I keep my ginger root in the freezer so it's easy to grate), and some lemon juice (amounts should be roughly equal, but it can be to your taste), put them in a cup (or tea ball) and pour boiling water over all and let steep for 10-15 min. (This can also be done in a saucepan and simmer gently, if you want to make a big pot. Add honey to taste. It sounds strange, but it's really quite good.

Tomato Tea: Use tomato or vegetable juice (as long as it has tomato in it). Put about a cup in a saucepan with a clove of crushed garlic, teaspoon or so of lemon juice, and a bit of cayenne powder. You only need the tiniest amount of this, because it's so spicy, but make it as spicy as you can stand. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Strain into cup and drink. I add a little salt to taste, too.

What I especially like about both of these is that they are more substantial than herbal teas. They both are like a broth, so I feel more like I'm eating something than drinking tea. They both have made me feel a little better, no matter how bad the sore throat, stuffy nose, etc. was.

hockeymom
11-03-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm swearing by an elderberry tonic handmade by a local farmer.

dragonfly
11-03-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm swearing by an elderberry tonic handmade by a local farmer.

Ohhh, that sounds good! We used to have elderberry bushes when I was little, yummy. I miss those...

Amanadoo
11-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Lots and lots of bone broth...put garlic in everything (as much and as fresh as you can stand)...and raw acv shots. Not exactly recipes, but those are what get us through a sickness, every time.

bcnlvr
11-03-2011, 04:12 PM
lots and lots of bone broth...put garlic in everything (as much and as fresh as you can stand)...and raw acv shots. Not exactly recipes, but those are what get us through a sickness, every time.

BONE BROTH!!! Yes Ma'am!!! I am having some RIGHT NOW! I have it everyday. I call it "me tonic". I get grass fed marrow bones from the local farmer (Whole Paycheck might have them too, in a pinch).

farrarwilliams
11-03-2011, 04:37 PM
I just keep chicken soup on hand all the time. Whenever I have a roast chicken left over, I saute some onions, celery and carrots and a big pile of garlic and a pinch of thyme, then I put in the carcass with a little water and broth and cook off the meat. Take out the bones and add the noodles. We eat that all the time in the winter because it's cheap leftover food in the freezer.

MrsLOLcat
11-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Chicken soup here, too, usually mixed with some mashed potatoes. We also keep lots of tea and honey on hand for those sore throats.

Stella M
11-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Elderberry is awesome.

But really, the best thing you can do to avoid colds/flu is handwashing and not ever touching your face unless you know your hands have been cleaned.

lynne
11-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Vitamin C and D and fish oil to prevent colds/flu. I have a feeling just being home instead of school that everyone will be healthier. For one, they are getting proper sleep and that can make a big difference.

lakshmi
11-04-2011, 12:54 AM
For the bone broth folks add some Huang Qi and u got yourself some medicine.

kewb22
11-04-2011, 08:29 AM
I am not much for tea but I always have chicken soup on hand this time of year. I also keep homemade chicken stock on hand to add to vegetable soup. I definitely up the garlic amounts this time of year. Raw honey is always on hand, too.

Tayonoss
11-04-2011, 10:17 AM
We always have chicken soup/stock on hand made with lots of garlic and onion. Honey herbal tea for sore throats and lots of sleep work well for us.

LovingMyChildren
11-04-2011, 10:53 AM
We are all about supplements and herbals. Elderberry and Umcka are great. When we start to feel run down we use Larix, Vit C, zinc and Vit A to give us an immune boost and then also use it when we are actually ill. We follow the protocol worked out by our pediatrician - you can find it at www.wholisticpeds.com if you're interested in dosing from infants up through adults.

We also are all on Vit D supplements to keep our Vit D levels about 50.

Shoe
11-04-2011, 11:09 AM
We take a black elderberry supplement, along with extra vitamin C throughout the flu season. It seems to work.

bibiche
11-04-2011, 12:47 PM
We eat lots of garlic soup. It was the first dish DS learned to prepare, back when he was one and a half, and he still requests or makes it often. He no longer has it at every meal as he used to (he was a very fragrant toddler), but it is still a winner. Just simmer lots and lots of cloves of peeled garlic in water along with some salt and a bay leaf or a branch of thyme until the garlic is soft, crush the garlic with a fork, add a bit of good olive oil and some pepper and that's it. We often serve it over a hunk of stale bread and add a poached egg.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
11-04-2011, 01:22 PM
During my first pregnancy--you know how you're super health-conscious and worried during the first one?--I drank Emergen-C daily and used hand-sanitizer throughout the day at work. I didn't get sick once that winter. I think I need to revive those habits. I also use zinc lozenges when I feel something coming on.

I'm going to look for black elderberry supplements.

Mum
11-06-2011, 02:19 PM
I make a vegetable soup - cabbage, onions, carrots, whatever you have around and then add a ton of garlic, ginger and turmeric. The last three ingredients boost the immune system and clear your sinuses.

Thanks for starting this thread. I have been sick SIX times since September. The rest of the Fam has been too.

Gabriela
11-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Lots of finely chopped up garlic and onion in a big jar of lemon juice.
It needs to be refrigerated, and sit for a day before taking.
One shot every time we start feeling sick, or throughout the day if we're already sick.
We keep a gallon of the stuff during the cold weather.

coloradoalice
11-12-2011, 07:13 PM
We eat lots of garlic soup. It was the first dish DS learned to prepare, back when he was one and a half, and he still requests or makes it often. He no longer has it at every meal as he used to (he was a very fragrant toddler), but it is still a winner. Just simmer lots and lots of cloves of peeled garlic in water along with some salt and a bay leaf or a branch of thyme until the garlic is soft, crush the garlic with a fork, add a bit of good olive oil and some pepper and that's it. We often serve it over a hunk of stale bread and add a poached egg.

I just threw this together with chicken broth, noodles and a few carrots I had laying around. Delicious and just what I need as I am currently fighting some sort of crud. Thanks!!

KristinK
11-12-2011, 07:58 PM
really good honey, and lots of VitC. I don't have any particular cold/flu recipes....although I really should get my mom's lemon-vermouth-tea recipe...mmmm. my kids are probably still too little to benefit from that one though ;)