PDA

View Full Version : Hello from DC

farrarwilliams
05-16-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm homeschooling a pair of twins in Washington, DC. I think I saw this site a year or so ago and there was much less here and I sort of forgot about it. D'oh! Nice to see so much more going on now!

Farrar

Shoe
05-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Welcome to the site Farrar. How old are your twins?

Snoopy
05-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Hi and welcome to the group :) How lucky you are to live where all the museums are wonderful and free :) I hope to be able to take Noah to visit DC in the near future.

Topsy
05-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Great to have you join us, Farrar! It's wonderful to meet you. We do have a District of Columbia group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=61) here at SHS, but so far, the administrator is all alone in there. I hope you will drop in and add yourself, though! I remember that one of our members, Peter, posted about a DC homeschooling group on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=16801727019)...do you know about it?

Topsy

farrarwilliams
05-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks. I do know about that group - that's Peter, my husband who used to be the moderator of DCAPH, our preschool homeschool group, which is listed on Yahoo Groups if anyone is looking for a DC area preschool group. Now my kids are in kindergarten. There are very few DC homeschoolers - at least compared to other cities of our size. I think it's because the company in our company town is the government and draws people who... well, trust the government and institutions in general. But there are a few of us.

The museums and free resources are a sweet deal here. We just pop over to the National Mall for a quick museum fix pretty often.

pandahoneybee
05-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Welcome to the forum, we went to DC a couple of years ago and I don't think that I would get much else done if I lived up there. We spent all day and the Natural History Musuem!

hockeymom
05-21-2010, 08:58 AM
We were just in DC last week and totally loved it! I think our favorite thing was participating in a sit-in at the Greensboro lunch counter in the American History museum. We've talked quite a bit about the civil rights movement so it was good timing to make our conversations "real". And, of course, we loved the Natural History museum, especially the new Evolution of Man exhibit. Again, we've been talking a lot about evolution lately so it was perfect timing to see the exhibit. It does a tremendous job of making such a difficult-to-understand idea (for a 7 year old) come to life. FYI: the exhibit's online interactive site is amazing too, for anyone far from DC.

Welcome!

inmom
05-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Welcome, Farrar! We were also in DC last month for an entire week, the first time for the kids. We went to just about every museum, monument, and public building (Capitol, Supreme Court, Lib. of Congress, Nat'l Archies).

The favorites: The Udvar-Hazy Center of the Air and Space Museum out at Dulles Airport (HUGE and full of cool stuff) and the Library of Congress tour. Both were unexpectedly fascinating.

We'd be there all the time too if we were closer. We just have to get our museum fix here by heading into Chicago once in a while.

Carol

Snoopy
05-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Welcome, Farrar! We were also in DC last month for an entire week, the first time for the kids. Carol

Carol, do you mind if I ask where you stayed and your feedback on it? I have been thinking about taking Noah to DC and while it's more expensive, I think I'd like to stay close to the Mall so we can walk to most places without having to commute from out of town... Farrar, if you have suggestions too, I'd be glad to hear them. TIA

inmom
05-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Carol, do you mind if I ask where you stayed and your feedback on it? I have been thinking about taking Noah to DC and while it's more expensive, I think I'd like to stay close to the Mall so we can walk to most places without having to commute from out of town... Farrar, if you have suggestions too, I'd be glad to hear them. TIA

We stayed at two Holiday Inns in Arlington, VA. The first was the Key Bridge Holiday Inn in Rosslyn, the second Holiday Inn at Ballston. We were lucky in that the first was paid by my hubby's employers that he was working for the first half of the week. For the second, we used hotel points he's earned this year in other biz travel. Both were within 2-3 blocks from the Metro, which is the easiest way to get to the Mall.

We liked both hotels; clean and close to the Metro were two criteria we wanted. However, if you search there are many, many hotels in the area from which to choose

Carol

reversemigration
05-22-2010, 09:09 AM
When we lived in Virginia, we were close enough to make D.C. a long weekend trip. Like Carol, I've found the Metro the easiest way to get to the Mall. And like Carol, we piggypack on DW's job travel whenever possible!

As an aside, one place we got a blast out of in our last trip was the Spy Museum (http://spymuseum.org/). It's a bit pricey, but a lot of fun and very interactive for the kids. I noticed in a recent Family Fun that they're now doing a Spy in the City (http://spymuseum.org/spyinthecity/) program, where they send you on a GPS trip around parts of the city to collect clues and solve a spy mystery.

Snoopy
05-22-2010, 09:36 AM
As an aside, one place we got a blast out of in our last trip was the Spy Museum (http://spymuseum.org/). It's a bit pricey, but a lot of fun and very interactive for the kids. I noticed in a recent Family Fun that they're now doing a Spy in the City (http://spymuseum.org/spyinthecity/) program, where they send you on a GPS trip around parts of the city to collect clues and solve a spy mystery. oooooh, that sounds like fun!

Thanks to both for the feedback. I was really hoping not to have to deal with the subway at all, but since I'm not rich like Cresus, I'll probably have to :)

farrarwilliams
05-23-2010, 10:03 AM
I don't know places to stay, but I do have some favorite often overlooked spots. We really like the Portrait Gallery and American Art Museum in Chinatown - it's often skipped, but my kids love that the Luce Center there always has a kid scavenger hunt. In general, if you're into art, there are a bunch of great art museums that often get skipped, like the Phillips Collection and the Corcoran's Gallery (which is free on Saturdays all summer this year). Also, if you've got kids, there are programs running almost every day at one of the museums - storytelling and so forth. The best food on the mall is at the Museum of the American Indian, where it's all native based cuisine. Also, I love the Einstein Monument, which is across Constitution Ave from the Vietnam War Memorial and it worth a visit if you're doing a day of the monuments. It's really different and neat. Also, I'm always trying to send people out to see the C&O Canal at Great Falls (on the MD side) - on the weekends there are historic reenactors and you can take a ride on the canal boat and see how the locks work, plus the little mini-hike to the island to see the falls is gorgeous. It's worth the trip. You can also ride the canal boat in Georgetown and go through one of the locks there.

Don't let the Metro scare you - it's simple after the first time you ride and it's not a complicated system like NY or Paris or something, which both have given me headaches. DC parking tickets are expensive and the meters are also crazy. However, if you're trying to pop out for dinner or something, parking isn't as bad as all that either and can usually be found, though it's easier if you know what you're doing.

Have fun!