PDA

View Full Version : Do you and your spouse work full-time while home schooling?

coloradoalice
10-19-2011, 01:42 AM
We are contemplating having me go back to work full time and I'd love to hear from families who successfully work and school.

The good and the bad, logistics, whatever. Share your thoughts with me.

Shoe
10-19-2011, 01:53 AM
I work full time in the evenings, and am the primary educator at home. It can be tough at times, I don't get much "me" time, and I definitely lack sleep. But I like seeing my kids more often, not having to try to coordinate vacations around the public school system, and it's almost as tough for me to get the kids up and ready and drop them off at school as it is to homeschool them.

jess
10-19-2011, 02:24 AM
I work 3 12-hour shifts a week. My husband works from home (with his own business, so he has relative freedom to set his hours - I'm not sure either of us could tell you how many hours a week he actually works), and is able to watch the kids while I'm working. I do most of the formal academics, but he does a lot with them, too.

Biggest logistic problem is that one of my shifts is a night shift, and I have trouble getting adequate sleep before and after with the kids being noisy in the next room. It also makes it hard to get to homeschooling events we might otherwise be able to manage, as most of them seem to happen on days when I'm working or sleeping.

Really, homeschooling works well, because it can flex around my schedule. No one says homeschool has to take place during public school hours/days. Saturday evening is as legitimate a time to homeschool as Monday morning.

And yeah, no "me" time (except right now, when I should be asleep). But I didn't have it when I didn't work, either!

Ayem
10-19-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm on my own with the kids and I work more than full time for most of the year, but I work at home and organise my time to suit our lives. So, that means while we are homeschooling, I work nights after the kids are in bed and seize other moments when I can. I couldn't do it otherwise.

Ayem
10-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Yes, I'm definitely a bit low on sleep and "me" time too.

Aandwsmom
10-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Yes, DH is a Medical Asst. and works M-Th 10 hour days.
I work out of my home though, so that makes it easier for the whole HS thing.
I run a childcare full time, 4 toddler/preschool boys running around plus I have online writing/marketing rep jobs as well.
I am the primary educator and ITA with a PP that very little ME time.
Used to be when they went to public school, I had 2.5 hrs a day during the daycare kids nap that I had to myself and could get things done, etc.
And on every other Friday when I had no daycare kids and DH was off, we had a date day.
We gave all that up to HS and it was worth it. Yep, TOTALLY hard sometimes when my kids are turds and the daycare kids are turds and it is raining outside and I am at my wit's end but those are the days I reward myself with a glass of wine at dinner since I made it thru the day.

Avalon
10-19-2011, 10:10 PM
I don't work full-time, but sometimes I work a lot. I work part-time from home (just editing at the computer), so I squeeze that in whenever. I also manage 5 rental properties, so that can take either no time at all, or lots of time, depending what's going on. I occasionally do some tutoring, and/or homeschool other people's kids. If all of those things are happening at once, I am super-stressed.

My strategies: make lists. Focus on what MUST be done today. Wake up, start working, do not stop until bedtime. After a few weeks, things will settle down, hopefully.

The reason it works is because I can do almost everything from my house, so I can throw in a load of laundry or put supper in the oven in between things.

coloradoalice
10-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks for sharing stories. We are on the verge of making a huge life change that would be me going back to work full-time. It would be work that would be flexible to be home sometimes but I would have to be at the office a good part of the time. The kids would also be able to be at the office with me but it wouldn't be possible to have them there constantly. My husband will be changing jobs and is hoping to find something with telecommuting as an option, the more he can work from home the better. We would have to build a support system for child care too though, I don't think we will be able to handle it all without help.

I'm thinking that while we all make the change we may enter a season of unschooling and then gradually work back into the academics once we've figured it all out. I lean child-led anyway and I think taking off the pressure while we learn a new normal would be helpful. There will be a big move required with all this too, so the academics are going to have to take a backseat for awhile anyway. There are still a lot of details to work out and this isn't anything that will be happening right away but hopefully within the next year. It would be ideal if we could finish out this academic year and then change things up.

Anyone with experience taking the kids to work with them? How does that go? My kids are 5 and 7, will most likely be 1st and 3rd grade when we make the change.

dbmamaz
10-20-2011, 08:30 PM
I do remember taking my daughter to work with me just one day. She sat under an empty metal desk and played w magnets. She was so quiet that an hour and a half later, one of my coworkers was SHOCKED she was still there. But i would never, every attempt to bring one of my boys anywhere that people's opinion of me could affect my future . . . .at least, not when they were under age 12 . . .

Pefa
10-20-2011, 10:45 PM
depends on the work the office where you are in the pecking order and your kids. When I ran my own business I took the kids. Occasionally the boys will spend an hour or so at the lab, but for lots of reasons it's frowned on (they can hang out in the medical library or cafeteria but don't do it often).

Sorry I can't give you more specific advise.

FWIW I do work 32hrs and do all the hs'ing.

ksb427
10-24-2011, 06:19 PM
I take my boys to work with me three days a week, but they're older... and it's at a summer camp. In the morning they plop down in the beanbags in my office or at a spare desk somewhere else in the office and do their work. We eat lunch on the front porch and then they play outside on their own for about an hour or so. Then they come in to finish up anything they didn't get to in the morning. I can't imagine being able to do that with younger children.