PDA

View Full Version : could I have a brief explanation of the member status thingys? (not at all important)

Ayem
10-18-2011, 08:19 AM
I've just noticed that my status has changed from whatever it was to whatever it is now... on the wrong page, I'd have to go check. It was from something to a member. And I've had a bit of a look on the site, but I can't work out what is what with the two things underneath.

User name
1. Member/Senior etc.
2. Then something else Guru? Untouchable?

Is one based on time of membership and one on the number of posts?
Is there some other factor? A rep system?

As I said, not at all important, I'm just curious...

Just trying to work out who I should be genuflecting to the most. :D

Shoe
10-18-2011, 09:37 AM
I've just noticed that my status has changed from whatever it was to whatever it is now... on the wrong page, I'd have to go check. It was from something to a member. And I've had a bit of a look on the site, but I can't work out what is what with the two things underneath.

User name
1. Member/Senior etc.
2. Then something else Guru? Untouchable?

Is one based on time of membership and one on the number of posts?
Is there some other factor? A rep system?

As I said, not at all important, I'm just curious...

Just trying to work out who I should be genuflecting to the most. :D

The second (i.e. newbie, regular, guru, untouchable) is based on number of posts, though I can't remember exactly how many posts are needed for each level. I don't think I've ever considered how the first title comes about. Maybe Topsy can jump in and let us know.

Just trying to work out who I should be genuflecting to the most. :DDefinitely our fearless leader, Topsy (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/members/6-Topsy), or her wonderful sidekick, Pandahoneybee (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/members/579-pandahoneybee), both of whom have worked really hard to make this the site it is today.

lakshmi
10-18-2011, 09:32 PM
ah, Shoe, you went and ruined my joke with your genuineness.... I was going to say...

"Why Me of course!!!"

not as funny now. I also need to watch my posts, not good for Guru Lakshmi to become an untouchable... No more posts for me....

farrarwilliams
10-18-2011, 09:35 PM
They're weird, right? I know forums all have these things, but they're weird. And occasionally these are read wrong and people think we put them there because we're full of our bad selves.

bcnlvr
10-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Can they change "untouchable" to "self-actualized"? That would be cool.

farrarwilliams
10-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Ooh, I like that, Bacon!

lakshmi
10-18-2011, 10:21 PM

Ooh, I like that, Bacon!

or something like it. I like that one too!!! Or Enlightened...

Batgirl
10-18-2011, 10:24 PM

Something like that. The very first time I read "Untouchable" under a site member's name, I took the Hindu meaning for a second or two.

Lak001
10-18-2011, 10:25 PM

lakshmi, you stole my words!! I was gonna say "Enlightened" :)

You know, after being a Guru for long enough, you are destined to be Enlightened.

ETA* Wondering if someone's a buddhist on the moderator board*

CatInTheSun
10-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Something like that. The very first time I read "Untouchable" under a site member's name, I took the Hindu meaning for a second or two.

Oooh, nice to know it wasn't just me! LOL I wasn't sure if I was joining an Indian caste system or the mafia!

Could I suggest replacing "regular" with "normal". It'd be the first time I'd been labeled "normal" in a while. heehee

Tayonoss
10-19-2011, 12:08 PM
lol i like the Enlightened. There is so much potential behind the word.

bcnlvr
10-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Well, that's what I typed initially, but I didn't want to offend, so I stuck with Maslow's Hierarchy of needs. Then I thought, "well, I just say enlightened without capitalization" so that a religious/buddhist connotation is absent. So you see where my brain went.....so self-actualized it was.

:))

lakshmi
10-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Well, that's what I typed initially, but I didn't want to offend, so I stuck with Maslow's Hierarchy of needs. Then I thought, "well, I just say enlightened without capitalization" so that a religious/buddhist connotation is absent. So you see where my brain went.....so self-actualized it was.

:))

Yes guess that is funny for a secular site!! hadn't thought of it. But better than something silly. that I wouldn't really want to be.

CatInTheSun
10-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Yes guess that is funny for a secular site!! hadn't thought of it. But better than something silly. that I wouldn't really want to be.

Just about made coffee go out my nose -- made me think of using other religious terms: to "enlightened" we could add "born again" and "saved". Then if anyone asked you if you've been saved, you could reply, "yes, I was saved before I was born again but I'm not enlightened yet." If they ask how you know, say "because it says so right above my avatar!" :D

NO, I'm not really suggesting being religiously offensive...the thought just made me laugh coffee up the nose. ;)

bcnlvr
10-19-2011, 05:15 PM
How 'bout "Arrived"? lol

Ayem
10-19-2011, 05:18 PM
The second (i.e. newbie, regular, guru, untouchable) is based on number of posts, though I can't remember exactly how many posts are needed for each level. I don't think I've ever considered how the first title comes about. Maybe Topsy can jump in and let us know.

Thanks. I will continue to observe to see if I can work it out. (Obviously, I have too much time on my hands.)

Definitely our fearless leader, Topsy (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/members/6-Topsy), or her wonderful sidekick, Pandahoneybee (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/members/579-pandahoneybee), both of whom have worked really hard to make this the site it is today.

Duly noted. Sincere thanks to all who work to make the site such a great - and entertaining - resource.

Shoe
10-19-2011, 05:19 PM

If I recall correctly, the "untouchable" label came about as a tribute to a former poster, Snoopy (aka Nathalie), whose prolific posting gave her such a lead on all of the rest of us combined that no one could touch her and so Topsy created that for her. Of course, now, others have caught up, but I think that is where the "untouchable" label originated.

Ayem
10-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Yes, I went caste system rather than Elliot Ness with "untouchable".

Maybe, given the secular nature of the site, it should be "evolved".

CatInTheSun
10-19-2011, 05:30 PM

Maybe, given the secular nature of the site, it should be "evolved".

oooo, I like evolved. Maybe work our way from prokaryote to flatworm to tiktaalik to cynodont to primate to hominid to "evolved". :)

ETA: any guesses what we're studying right now? LOL

farrarwilliams
10-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Maybe it should be totally random. We could all be trees. Newbies are shrubbery and eventually you get to be a redwood. Or how about fish, you start as a minnow, graduate to perch, and eventually become the fisherman and finally the whaler. Or books. You start as a BOB book, then get to be Dr. Seuss, on up through Ulysses.

Ayem
10-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Or how about fish, you start as a minnow, graduate to perch, and eventually become the fisherman and finally the whaler.

We move from prey to hunter. Actually, the minnow thing reminds me of swimming lessons.

pnctink
10-19-2011, 07:59 PM
Newbies are shrubbery and eventually you get to be a redwood.

Or we could be knights first, then we get shrubbery. :_laugh: Monty Python has ruined me from ever saying the word "shrubbery" without an English accent. :)

In other thoughts, I had always thought of the caste system as well.

bcnlvr
10-19-2011, 08:14 PM
knight-shrubbery-Roger-Knights of Ni. Love it. (Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm. would be too long I fear.....)

pnctink
10-19-2011, 08:24 PM
knight-shrubbery-Roger-Knights of Ni. Love it. (Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm. would be too long I fear.....)

Nah, we could make it a super small font. :)

farrarwilliams
10-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Shrub, Page, Squire, Knight of Ni, King, Python

Or perhaps... crawler, walker, silly walker, junior minister of silly walks, minister of silly walks, secretary for silly walks

bcnlvr
10-19-2011, 10:56 PM
OMG The Ministry of Silly Walks is my favorite skit of all time. Ministry of Silly Walks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w)

LovingMyChildren
10-19-2011, 11:08 PM
I love you all. I'm not funny usually and really not when I'm tired. So, thanks for being funny and making me laugh! btw, bcnlvr - did you just change your avatar or did I just notice that you have speared bacon there? now I'm hungry... :)

lakshmi
10-20-2011, 01:10 AM
Just about made coffee go out my nose -- made me think of using other religious terms: to "enlightened" we could add "born again" and "saved". Then if anyone asked you if you've been saved, you could reply, "yes, I was saved before I was born again but I'm not enlightened yet." If they ask how you know, say "because it says so right above my avatar!"

NO, I'm not really suggesting being religiously offensive...the thought just made me laugh coffee up the nose. ;)
You started me giggling.

How 'bout "Arrived"? lol This kept me giggling.

If I recall correctly, the "untouchable" label came about as a tribute to a former poster, Snoopy (aka Nathalie), whose prolific posting gave her such a lead on all of the rest of us combined that no one could touch her and so Topsy created that for her. Of course, now, others have caught up, but I think that is where the "untouchable" label originated. Okay, not so much giggling here. But thanks for the background makes sense and also tells me that you really don't get out muc. You're still here where is Snoopy? ;)

Maybe, given the secular nature of the site, it should be "evolved". :) No giggles, but maybe?

oooo, I like evolved. Maybe work our way from prokaryote to flatworm to tiktaalik to cynodont to primate to hominid to "evolved". :)

ETA: any guesses what we're studying right now? LOL No, and yes.

Maybe it should be totally random. We could all be trees. Newbies are shrubbery and eventually you get to be a redwood. Or how about fish, you start as a minnow, graduate to perch, and eventually become the fisherman and finally the whaler. Or books. You start as a BOB book, then get to be Dr. Seuss, on up through Ulysses.

Giggling built up so much that this gave me a guffaw... Bob Book......lol... I would laugh so hard to join a site and then be a Bob Book

Bob Book

Oh, the Places You'll Go
A Tale of Two Cities

Ulysses

Whaler

I am still laughing. Okay stopped laughing I can't post... too many images?

Shoe
10-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Okay, not so much giggling here. Well, I told you I'm not funny.

But thanks for the background makes sense and also tells me that you really don't get out much. Sadly, true.

You're still here where is Snoopy? ;) I'm like that soap scum ring around the tub-you can't get rid of me. I think Snoopy had to stop homeschooling for some reason. I don't know the details, nor do I know why she's not still around here, since it's such a fun place to be.

I am still laughing.This. Such a funny thread.

Christy
10-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Okay but seriously you guys.... what are the qualifications for moving between levels? Is it the number of posts? (And if so, at what numbers do people change?) the lenght of time since being here? What is it?

pnctink
10-28-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm assuming it has to do with the number of posts since we've been here the same amount of time. I'm not sure on the numbers though because I hadn't noticed I was a "Senior Member" until just now.

Stella M
10-28-2011, 09:10 PM
It's just number of posts :) Nothing more exciting than that.

As to how many equals what 'status' I have no idea! Other than being a 'senior member' or even a 'guru' meaning you have a good life/virtual world balance and 'untouchable' meaning you post too damn much.

LovingMyChildren
10-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Having recently joined this illustrious group, some of this is fresh on my mind. I was a member and a newbie at zero (duh!) then lost the newbie status and went to member/regular at 50, then became a senior member/regular at 100. Don't know what happens next!

lakshmi
10-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Yes, number of posts. And it takes a while to get to Guru, but I think 1000 is untouchable. But now i am one closer to no longer being a guru..

Ayem
11-06-2011, 10:57 PM
This is going to be a long, slow process given how often I post. But documenting my journey so far, I changed from:
Junior Member to Member at 30
and have just gone from Newbie to Regular at 50. I'm now truly average!
I think I'll next be posting in around 250...
so see you back here about May 2012.

Topsy
11-09-2011, 03:10 PM
What the *&%$. At least until the end of the year. Why? Because I was bored today. And because I've gotten a lot of freakin' flack this week. And because it was funny and made me remember what it was like to do this kind of stuff just for the heck of it. So enjoy your updated titles, SHS'ers. I know I do. ;)

rumbledolly
11-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Having recently joined this illustrious group, some of this is fresh on my mind. I was a member and a newbie at zero (duh!) then lost the newbie status and went to member/regular at 50, then became a senior member/regular at 100. Don't know what happens next!

After you reach 200 you get your choice of a ShamWow or a Ginsu knife.....

I think I got a Veg O Matic but I believe Topsy isn't giving those out anymore because of some crazy accident involving Ron Popeil.....

oooh look I've evolved - HA to those who thought it would never happen...HA I say!

LovingMyChildren
11-09-2011, 08:06 PM
What the *&%$. At least until the end of the year. Why? Because I was bored today. And because I've gotten a lot of freakin' flack this week. And because it was funny and made me remember what it was like to do this kind of stuff just for the heck of it. So enjoy your updated titles, SHS'ers. I know I do. ;)

Topsy!! How cool. I noticed the change this evening and am thinking it is pretty fun. Somewhere between 185 and 193, I became enlightened. I like it :) A bit of change and humor is good for everyone! THANKS!

Ayem
11-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Oooh! Great! Just have to put an entry in to see what my new status will be!! Looking forward to the change. Regular always puts me in mind of my digestive processes.

ETA: Enlightened... excellent!!

Thanks Topsy! :)

dottieanna29
11-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Just posting to see what I am rather than try and find one of my other posts.

The new statuses are cool and totally appropriate for a secular board.

farrarwilliams
11-09-2011, 09:35 PM
:_lol: Thanks, Topsy! Very amusing.

dbmamaz
11-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Oh, Farrar has arrived with me!

Lak001
11-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Evolved, Enlightened...oohh...sounds Excellent... :D

farrarwilliams
11-09-2011, 10:36 PM
But where were we going, Cara?!?

lakshmi
11-09-2011, 11:24 PM
But where were we going, Cara?!?

You're not going anywhere, you're already there!

Thanks Topsy I noticed this earlier and got excited because now I won't have to stop posting in 2o more comments to avoid being untouchable. You do a great job around here and even though you're not doing it for the heck of it anymore, it is something that we all appreciate!

pnctink
11-10-2011, 10:10 AM
I love the new changes, and the fact that I've been enlightened. :D

CatInTheSun
11-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Awesome! Thanks Topsy!

Shoe
11-10-2011, 11:34 AM

Sorry you've been taking a lot of flack this week. I certainly appreciate all you do. The new titles are fun.

Cheers.

jess
11-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Does anyone else ever see a seemingly routine and not particularly interesting subject line show up in the new posts lists regularly for weeks with an ever-increasing page count, and suddenly realize that perhaps you're missing something?

dbmamaz
11-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Does anyone else ever see a seemingly routine and not particularly interesting subject line show up in the new posts lists regularly for weeks with an ever-increasing page count, and suddenly realize that perhaps you're missing something?
LOL yes!! (TEN characters)

gidamom
11-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks Topsy!! I really like the new levels...so fun :)

lakshmi
11-10-2011, 08:58 PM

lol. No, i've rarely even look at those page count/view things. The first time I did was when someone mentioned 1000 posts in the hater thread.

Now that I have no fear of being untouchable, I feel free to post and post and post. I need to "get there"

Stella M
11-10-2011, 09:08 PM
I like them too, but I'm probably not worthy :)

Flak ? I must have missed it. I love the way this forum is moderated; very rarely do you come across a forum where the members are treated like adults.

Topsy
11-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Glad everyone is enjoying your status. ;) So much better than high school, yes??

Flak ? I must have missed it. I love the way this forum is moderated; very rarely do you come across a forum where the members are treated like adults.

Stella, it makes me very happy that most of the flack-i-ness (ha! I made a funny!) was behind the scenes and that the forum is usually beautifully drama-free. Most weeks this is the absolute best gig in the world...I was just being whiny. The members of SHS are basically the most awesome peeps in the world, as far as I'm concerned. :heart:

MrsLOLcat
11-12-2011, 11:54 AM
LOL I love them, too. :D Thanks for all you do!

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
11-12-2011, 02:35 PM
We love you, Topsy! Thank you for putting up with us and our debates/silliness/TMI moments!