PDA

View Full Version : Eastern European History

Airen
10-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Hi Everyone!!

Let me start with some background. I am homeschooling a six year old in the middle of nowhere, with few resources. We only got internet last week, and even that is spotty.

I've was drawn to the classical method, as my DS memorizes well. To keep his interest, we focus on topics of his choosing. I can handle the science, as it was always one of my favorites. But I am having a devil of a time finding age appropriate resources for un-biased history.

Up until now, we've been using the CLassical COnversations curriculum with some heavy editing on my part. My sister-in-law uses it, and I loved the principles. But I feel like he is being shorted, and I don't know enough of history to know if certain things trully have historical significance or not. I've also noticed that after Ancient History, everything becomes blatantly Euro-centric.

Can anyone direct me to a resource that might be more balanced?

As an aside, I am looking around for a different classical curriculum, but it is slow going. The internet has TOO MUCH information sometimes LOL

Thank You!!!

Airen
10-17-2011, 01:52 PM
And I just realized I put this COMPLETELY in the wrong spot... sorry.

I was wandering and browsing... forgot I moved to another forum...

lakshmi
10-17-2011, 02:23 PM
i wish I could help you. I have no idea, and I certainly do NOT envy you editing Classical Conversations. I assume foundations level? Wacky.

But if you were a little more specific about what you mean by un-biased history I bet others would be able to help you a bit better. As in, do you want a non-christian based, does it have to be classical.

Good luck.

Airen
10-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Hm. And here I thought I gave too much information. Oops.

It does not need to be classical. As ds gets older, I'm finding myself doing more outside of the strict classic curriculum. We're still doing the memorization, but I feel it is missing so much. As a basic mental referance timeline, it'll do. But I'd like to add my own touch points.

I'm running into a lot of Christian history (i.e. Davidic Kingdom, birth of saints) that isn't necessarily important in the "big picture". It's also missing entire continents. No Mayas or SUmerians; nothing of Asian or Arabic contributions. The bias I'm trying to avoid is white Christians came up with all the good and wonderfully important things.

I can see myself eventually abandoning this all together, but I'm the sort of person who needs a curriculum. If I have a basic outline, I can take it from there. But I'm neither organized nor creative enough to create an entire lesson plan from nothing.

lakshmi
10-17-2011, 03:03 PM
The program I use Moving Beyond the Page (http://movingbeyondthepage.com) includes history but it starts at the level of the child and moves outward from there. Not as much memorization, but a lot of discussing, writing and reading about different parts. But because it is a complete curriculum and I haven't moved into the more historical aspects of the curriculum yet, I am not sure if it would help you or not.

Not being on the internet is hard and trying to get a lot accomplished with a little amount of time is tough. Maybe repost, with a question like, Any recommendations for History curriculum. Most of the folks on here have pretty unbiased tastes in curriculum. The choices here are always great recommendations, just have to find something that fits wtih you.

Accidental Homeschooler
10-17-2011, 04:13 PM
For my 6yo we are using SOTW, the Usborne internetlinked world history and the library (SOTW has literature and additional reading suggestions). I also found a series of dvds, The Ancient World with episodes for Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece, China.... at our library. There have been a few threads about SOTW and its pros and cons. It seems to come down to how comfortable you are compensating for a Western and Judeo-Christian bias. For us history is mostly reading with some activities and dvds thrown in. It is my dd's favorite subject.

farrarwilliams
10-17-2011, 04:38 PM
I don't think there's anything else quite like CC. It's... unusual to say the least. But there are other resources for memory work and other resources for history.

JinxieFox
10-18-2011, 04:29 AM
Hi and welcome!

Although we are classical homeschoolers, we avoid SOTW and other similar history curricula. We use the History Odyssey (http://www.pandiapress.com/?page_id=64#ancients) table of contents (available free online) and choose books from the library based on that. History Odyssey covers other cultures besides European, so when it says "Ancient India", for example, I just take out library books pertinent to the topic. It's not the most organized or comprehensive system, since I am basically creating our own curriculum as we go along, but it ensures that we are looking at wider world history.

lakshmi
10-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks Wendy that program looks grat!

JinxieFox
10-19-2011, 04:36 AM
I should also add that we use many of those DK and Eyewitness books, because they're so colorful. I also look for websites, games (online or real life), movies, shows, music, museums, hands-on crafts, and more that relate to that era in history. Granted, we're basically doing history by the seat of our pants in this manner (LOL), but my son is a much more willing student when things are colorful and hands-on. ;)

Greenmother
10-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Are you looking for Asian History, or Eastern European History, I am confused.