PDA

View Full Version : Colorado mom here, new to hsing!

wuffers
05-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Hello,
Well, this is the year. We're finally going to do it and I'm so excited. My boys are in 1st grade and 4th grade (going into 2nd and 5th) and they have attended school at a small charter school. I've always wanted to give homeschooling a shot, but felt conflicted and for a number of reasons sent them to school. I'm not a purist and feel like a variety of experiences are good for my boys. I've been very involved in their school- I"m on the board and have started and led a fledgeling PTO. For those reasons, stepping away from the school has been very hard for me, but I did it! My boys are so excited and I am excited and nervous. My main reasons for hsing are academic, social, and because my kids still prefer to be home with me and I'm going to take advantage of that while I still can. My husband has some travel in the next year and we want to be able to go with him too.

I'm so glad I found this site! One of my big reservations of homeschooling is that we live in an extremely conservative part of CO and I don't want to be isolated. Less importantly, I will admit to some stereotypical hangups on homeschooling. I realize I have to define our reality for ourselves, that is why I say less importantly.

About me, before kids, I was a biology and chemistry content writer for an online educational company that I even saw mentioned on this forum (thinkwell, if you want to know)! That was pretty cool to see. My degree is in zoology- I tutored genetics, organic chemistry, and lower division biology in college. I got accepted to vet school, but had my first son and just couldn't pull it off. I backed out before classes started. It was a hard thing to do, but considering that we have fertility problems now, it all worked out and it was a good thing I had my boys while it was possible.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Mary

Shoe
05-16-2010, 04:21 PM
My main reasons for hsing are academic, social, and because my kids still prefer to be home with me and I'm going to take advantage of that while I still can. Those sound like great reasons to me. I'm so glad I brought my kids home from public school...my selfish reason is that I am enjoying being able to spend a lot more time with them (less selfish reasons include that it seemed to be the best option academically for my son at the time and to avoid the bullying my daughter was facing).

Welcome to the site, Mary-there are a lot of good people and experienced homeschoolers here so I'm sure you can tap the well if you need any advice.

Cheers.

Melyssa
05-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Hi Mary! Welcome! I just moved out of Colorado six months ago, we're near Seattle now. We lived just outside of Boulder for 12 years. What part are you in?

reversemigration
05-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Welcome to the site, Mary! I'm glad you're here and share your apprehension and excitement about the coming year - I have a boy going into 5th as well. I'm also looking forward to picking your brain about biology and chemistry! :D

BPier12
05-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Hi Mary and welcome!

We're just starting our homeschooling adventure too. We have one son, 12, going into 8th grade. We live in a very conservative part of Florida so I completely understand your concerns about isolation and this forum has been a huge comfort in the short time that I've been here. I hope that you will find it so for yourself as well!

Snoopy
05-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Welcome to the group :)

wuffers
05-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Thank you for the welcome!

Melyssa, we live just outside of Colorado Springs. I'm originally from Texas so I thought I was prepared- things feel pretty extreme outhere some times. There are a lot of great people, but we aren't religious and religion comes up all the time. I'm always suprised by people in one way or another. I personally just don't go there with people. It's helped me teach my kids to be tolerant and respectful of other people's beliefs.

We moved here from the Tricities of WA state. We went to Seattle several times a year- love it up there!

pandahoneybee
05-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Welcome Wuffers:D

Homeschooling is a journey that we all take for different reasons, I too pulled my boys from public school to homeschool. I was nervous as well, still am some days. But you and your kids will love the freedom that homeschooling can provide.

And don't worry about SOCIALIZATION! That is one you will get all the time how the poor homeschooled kids don't have a chance to be social.

We do Game and Park day almost every week with other homeschoolers in our group. And for the last two weeks we have had a science classes,art museum tours and classes,book clubs,swim team lessons at our neighborhood pool and the neatest over night at the aquarium with tons of kids! ALMOST 5 DAYS EACH WEEK!

This is a great bunch that will lift you up and help you out when you need it, JUST ASK;)

Topsy
05-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Welcome Mary!! How exciting for you!! This is an adventure of a lifetime, I assure you!! It's so neat that you used to work for Thinkwell. My older son (age 16) is going to try out one of their math classes next fall if possible. I might have to pick your brain as well, because my younger son wants to go into zoology.

Wishing you the very best on finding a some local secular homeschooling support. I know there are certain areas of the country where it feels almost impossible to locate other secular homeschoolers. You might want to check out this article (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/220-How-To-Find-Other-Secular-Homeschoolers-Near-You) for some extra suggestions. I'm definitely aware of at least one group in CS (http://www.shssg.com/).

Topsy

Wildflower
05-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Hi Mary! We are starting homeschooling this coming year too (preschool, 3rd and 5th). We're just south of Denver. I have heard a lot about how religious people can be in the Springs so I can understand your concern about isolation. Hopefully you can find a great secular support group around the area. Good luck!

wuffers
05-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Thank you for the welcome everyonel!

For those of you trying or thinking of trying out Thinkwell, if it helps to know- it was a wonderful job. I got to work with many enthusiastic, talented people- between the professors, artists, and content writers, it was a truly great experience. The professors/instructors were hand picked as dynamic, well-loved teachers. We started out as an online textbook for college classes, and I always told them it would be great for homeschooling- I'm glad to see that it is available to homeschoolers.

Wildflower- that is awesome that you are in CO. Maybe one day we can meet!

firefly
05-20-2010, 01:36 PM
With your experience you will do an awesome job! Your kids won't be confined to learn only "at grade level". This freedom, coupled with the knowledge of how well your kids progress, will impower you immeasurably! This time next year you will be greeting newcomers with stories of all your successes!