PDA

View Full Version : Health Curriculum for 3rd and 7th graders

nphuskerchic
05-16-2010, 05:48 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to homeschooling starting next school year. I have 2 girls that will be entering 3rd and 7th grades. I am still trying to figure out what we are going to use for curriculum (leaning towards k12, like SOS but not the religious integration in it) and am having a hard time finding secular health curriculum, which is a required subject in our state. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks Michelle

Wilma
05-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Welcome! I have 3 girls who will be in 9th, 7th and 5th next school year.

Most health curricula is for junior high. Rod&Staff has health at the lower grades, but that is decidedly religious. Holt Publishers has a health curriculum geared to 6th or 7th. I personally like Prentice Hall Science Explorer. If you go with the individual books, they have one on Human Biology and Health, which is designed for grades 5-8. It is easily available used online. Getting TEs for either the Holt or Prentice Hall would be expensive. I have the PH book (I am slowly acquiring the whole series) and the experiments, for the most part, are easy to do. There are review questions at the end of each chapter that don't require the TE for answers. The current editions were published after 2005. The editions before that were published after 2001. I got mine for less than $5 on ebay.

BTW, these books are packaged 2 ways. All the physical, chemical and biological sciences are put together in 3 separate volumes, or they are divided further, like weather, minerals, plants, and sold in smaller books. I prefer the smaller books.

Snoopy
05-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Sorry, I don't have any recommendations as far as Health Curriculum goes, but I wanted to welcome you to the group nonetheless!

Busygoddess
05-17-2010, 12:37 AM
I don't have any recommendations for curriculum. However, I do have a few thoughts & ideas:

Health wouldn't be a separate course until High School. In Elementary & Jr High, it would be part of Science. So, until High School, you shoud be able to get by fitting these topics into your studies:

Proper nutrition & exercise - learn to read labels, what's in a balanced meal, etc
Hygiene - why we need to brush our teeth, wash our hands, bathe regularly; maybe study illness & how proper hygiene can help prevent it
Sex Ed - whatever you're comfortable with in each grade (in early grades maybe cover how boys & girls are different & where babies come from, while covering puberty around 6th)
First Aid - for younger grades, basic first aid is fine, maybe include info specific to your area (snake bites, local posionous creatures, etc.) or specific to your child (allergies, diabetes, asthma, etc), in Jr High consider checking with the local Red Cross about First Aid & CPR classes
Feelings/Emotions & proper ways to deal with them
Drugs & Alcohol and their effects - probably best to wait until Jr High or High School for that
Maybe do a study on the effects of too much sun/why we need sunblock
Mental Health - this can wait until High School, but if either of your children (or other close family members) have a psychological condition (ADHD, Bipolar, Depression, etc)you may want to cover those specific conditions before then
Any medical conditions, special needs, learning disorders, illnesses, etc that your kids have or deal with (family or friends that have them) would also make good studies that would count as Health

The only Homeschool Health curriculum I've found, so far, is Christian-based. The only Secular ones I've seen are public school textbooks.

pandahoneybee
05-17-2010, 10:21 AM
HI Brandi~

We have a center here in NC that goes over all of that in classes called the Poe Center (http://www.poehealth.org/), maybe you could check to see if you have one of those in your area? We also use The Usborne Complete Book of the Human Body: Internet Linked (http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Complete-Book-Human-Body/dp/0794515576/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274105931&sr=8-4) along with others that we either bought from Amazon/borders/Barnes &Noble. I have found that I piece together our needs on this subject and I pesonally love the illustrations that Usborne books provide, then I make my own lesson sheets etc.