PDA

View Full Version : Different Styles in One Family ?

Stella M
10-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Deciding to unschool ds for a while got me thinking about this. We'll have one unschooler, one preparing for/attending ps and one who is very CM.

Any one else differentiate by style, not just curricula, for their kids ?

Greenmother
10-07-2011, 10:13 PM
I don't know yet. But it may come to that.

MrsLOLcat
10-07-2011, 11:00 PM
I will be. DS loves his classical format; when DD comes home, I'll be doing more CM or unschooling with her. It's how they roll, even if it drives me batty just thinking about it.

Jackielyn
10-08-2011, 12:13 AM
It's looking to be that way for me...my oldest is not an internally motivated guy, he hardly gets excited about one particular thing. If he had a choice in what he did during the day it would be video games...from dawn till dusk and all night long...i'm not sure he'd stop for the bathroom or to eat...sssssooooo I have to take charge and help in that area. My middle child is pretty resistant to any kind of "schooling" at the moment, he is 6. He would much rather do his own thing and personally it isn't worth the stress or fights at this time. I'm trying to make available the things that interest him and have him come to me when he needs something. My youngest who is 4, she wants to do school work, she likes her workbooks and doing things, she may be an easy one to teach :) *fingers crossed!*

Jilly
10-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Deciding to unschool ds for a while got me thinking about this. We'll have one unschooler, one preparing for/attending ps and one who is very CM.

Any one else differentiate by style, not just curricula, for their kids ?

I have one going to public school this year. She is at a high school for the arts for classical voice. I have my youngest, who is mostly unschooling, and then I have my 12-year-old son, who is very academic. They are all responding to different styles, and I am happy to meet their individual needs. It is one of the great benefits to homeschooling. :)

coloradoalice
10-09-2011, 05:07 PM
So far we do everything together but that's mostly to remove the competitiveness/fairness thing they love to argue about. They are always keeping track of who is doing what and if someone has to do more horror of horrors.... :) I think as they get older though and can stop all the comparing we may end up with different styles. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

5amigos
10-09-2011, 05:56 PM
i have two boys, both 9 that are hs. people say 'oh how great, you just do the same thing for both of them!' but the reality is i have two very different children, both with different learning styles and struggles and they require two very different approaches on most of our schoolwork. it keeps things interesting. :) but i think since some of us want them home because the school isn't fitting their learning, i have to be flexible and adjust to each of their styles. no one size fits all...even in the same family...and even if they are the same age!

itsafoot
10-09-2011, 08:02 PM
We do. Our middle is in ps- it is the right place for her and our youngest is hsing- it is the right place for her.