PDA

View Full Version : Did someone say Kahlua?

MrsLOLcat
10-07-2011, 02:42 PM
I saw somewhere on the coffee thread that Kahlua had come up, and that made me think of cocktails. What's your favorite mixed drink?

The reason that Kahlua made me think of that was that my favorite chocotini is 1 oz. Kahlua, 1 oz. Irish cream, 1 oz. amaretto, 2 oz. heavy cream, shake - don't stir - and pour into a martini glass. Add chocolate syrup to taste. HEAVEN.

dbmamaz
10-07-2011, 03:07 PM
White Russian is the main thing I drink. Now that I have to be careful about so many things I'm really limited. But I used to also live piņa coladas.

Shoe
10-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Black Russians or Manhattans for me, but I rarely drink mixed drinks-I usually stick to beer or wine.

bcnlvr
10-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Anything alcoholic in large quantities. Everything in my life seemed to interfere with my drinking. Then I realized it was the other way around. Hence I quit. However, back in the day, if I had my druthers, just a vodka chilled is nice. Yum.

bcnlvr
10-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Oops, you said MIXED drink. Um, long island ice tea I guess. That's mixed, right?

Jilly
10-07-2011, 03:59 PM
I love an L.A. Lemonade, but whenever I have one I have to be carried out of the restaurant. They are a little strong for me, but they are so delicious. :)

JinxieFox
10-07-2011, 04:14 PM
I don't like mixed drinks. I like straight-up beer or tequila shots. :3

But I guess if I had to choose any mixed drinks, I'd go with margaritas and white Russians.

skrink
10-07-2011, 05:29 PM
I like the not overly sweet fruity drinks, like lemon drops. Wish I could have dairy - the chocotinis sound yummy. :)

TamaraNC
10-07-2011, 06:02 PM
We're a beer and wine house, but we do have some margarita fixin' on hand, just in case. In case of what? I have no idea. A margarita emergency, I guess.

jess
10-07-2011, 07:45 PM
You all are inspiring me to vices, between the coffee and tea threads and this.

I've never been much of a drinker, and rarely have mixed drinks. Cider is usually my preference (don't like beer either, and am very picky about wines). I couldn't really tell you what I like, but things that are dessert-like and creamy (but not excessively sweet) sound appealing. I'm not sure why I've never really had any.

We did drink Cherry Garcia floats made from cherry lambic and chocolate chip ice cream for a while when DS was little. That was good.

We don't currently have any alcohol in the house but a bottle of $2 Chuck and about an ounce of gin.

I guess I'll just keep drinking my warm tap water - provides one of the benefits of coffee/tea, and I can drink it all day without ill effect. But it isn't quite an Irish Coffee, you know? We do have pineapple and coconut milk. Perhaps I'll talk DH into getting something so I can make pina coladas when I get off work on Sunday.

ginnyjf
10-07-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm nostalgic for mixed drinks from the 70s: Harvey Wallbangers, whiskey sours, grasshoppers...my parents generally didn't get babysitters when they wanted to go out and get their drink on. They'd order me a "kiddie cocktail" but would sneak me drinks of whatever they were having.

Greenmother
10-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Hard Cider, Meade, Tequila, Tuaca Red and rose` wines. But seriously, only a glass or two literally.

MarkInMD
10-07-2011, 10:11 PM
I do White Russians, too, but here's a fun one I discovered a couple years back called 8th Birthday.

3/4 oz raspberry liqueur
1/4 oz dark creme de cacao
1 oz vodka
1 oz milk

I tend to go vodka in my drinks. I despise tequila, sorry.

Laina
10-07-2011, 10:38 PM
I love old-fashioneds. Yum.

lakshmi
10-07-2011, 10:52 PM
We're a beer and wine house, but we do have some margarita fixin' on hand, just in case. In case of what? I have no idea. A margarita emergency, I guess.

A margarita emergency is when you've been gone for a few weeks dealing with something, business, family stuff whatever, and you really just want to go home, slip your shoes off and go to bed in your clothes, but. your husband/partner/wife has other ideas. So a couple of quick margaritas, and lo and behold, you still don't need your jammies, but..

I do White Russians, too, but here's a fun one I discovered a couple years back called 8th Birthday.

3/4 oz raspberry liqueur
1/4 oz dark creme de cacao
1 oz vodka
1 oz milk

I tend to go vodka in my drinks. I despise tequila, sorry.

You hate tequila, harumph, <turns head and marches off, Ms. Piggy Style> We can't be friends. <shouted over shoulder>

If I actually had a chance to drink an actual mixed drink, usually on pay day or bought by the bartender. (yeah, I don't know why) I drink Vodka. But, Tequila is my first love and always will be. When I was 25 I used to drink shots out of tea cups because I didn't have any shot glasses.

I like the idea of all the old timey drinks. Who couldn't love a Harvey Wallbanger!

bcnlvr.. great choice! glad to hear it.

bcnlvr
10-08-2011, 08:43 AM
I drank tequila (pronounced tuh-KILL-ya) ONCE. Let's just say I never drank it again.

dbmamaz
10-08-2011, 11:58 AM
ta-kill-ya . . . right there with you . . .

plus, when i was a teen/young 20s, I thought that when I was a REAL grownup, i would finally outgrow my sweettooth. Eventually I had to admit . . i'm just a grownup with a sweet tooth. including drinks.

LovingMyChildren
10-08-2011, 09:20 PM
They'd order me a "kiddie cocktail" but would sneak me drinks of whatever they were having.

Too funny! Sounds like how I grew up where I was taught to help mix the drinks at about age 7. My daughters, since they turned 3, have helped pick out the beer we drink at our favorite pizza place which has a pick-your-own beer refrigerator. But, I digress.

It all depends on the context. If sweet and cold and desserty - then a grasshopper. If sweet and cold - a Madras. If at a friends house and she says "you bring the Tequila" then a very expensive bottle ($40) is purchased so that I don't die from the Margaritas she's going to make. Cheap tequila will ta-kill-me. If done right, Pina Colada. You can keep your gin drinks far far away. If a cold day and needing something warm, cider and bourbon (at least I think it was bourbon - I've lived in Florida too long to remember being that cold ;) )

If not mixed, give me a glass of wine or a glass of bourbon. I've been taking bourbon to Daisy/Girl Scouts in a sippy cup. I can't really stand some of the stuff at Girl Scouts but my daughter loves it. I go only if I can drink! It's so much more fun when the other mother who knows me well sees me and says "cheers!"

lakshmi
10-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Elizabeth, that is funny.

Topsy
10-08-2011, 11:04 PM
I've been taking bourbon to Daisy/Girl Scouts in a sippy cup.

This was an actual lightbulb moment, Elizabeth. I was thinking back to those years of enduring the local faith-based homeschool support group gatherings and how this would have made ALL the difference. Of course, then, I probably wouldn't have ever started this site and would now have a sponsor on speed dial, but other than that...absolute frickin' brilliant!!!

MrsLOLcat
10-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Mark, I'm going to have to try that recipe sometime! I already have everything except the dark creme de cacao... pretty sure DH would enjoy that drink, too.

Elizabeth, you cracked me up. I love it. I love that you don't make me sound like a lush! ;) I'm a ta-kill-ya person in general, but my favorite is the Tarantula brand because it's tequila that doesn't taste like tequila. I'm picky like that. :)

lakshmi
10-09-2011, 11:15 PM
I've been a Patron person recently, but have enjoyed a Herradura mostly in the past, but I liked this

The Plata possesses a remarkably crisp distinctive taste of agave and our Reposado is taken a step further, aged in choice oak barrels until achieving that wonderful smooth taste and perfectly crafted amber color.
From the website, so may have to check it out at some point.