PDA

View Full Version : Met two hs moms!!

gidamom
10-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Found an art class for hschoolers and the kids agreed to try it today! I was sooo psyched! Met two moms who seemed super nice, were friendly and eager to help out as they could. They seemed like cool people!

HOWEVER, the kids didn't really dig the class a lot :( They wanted more direction and "teaching" where the class seemed more like a self directed art workshop :9 plus it was expensive! So I don't know if we'll go back again :(

I'm bummed because this seemed like an opportunity for all of us to be around other homeschoolers...SIGH

Shoe
10-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Glad you met some other homeschoolers, and I hope your kids will go back. Any chance of meeting up with them outside of that class, if the kids don't want to go back?

JinxieFox
10-07-2011, 05:07 AM
That's great! Maybe you can go to the class one more time if you haven't exchanged phone numbers or email addresses with these families yet. ;)

Gabriela
10-07-2011, 09:39 AM
That's so awesome. There's only one other homeschooling mom in my area, and she's very unschooly and airy. We don't have much to talk about.
You could coincidentally run into them in the parking lot and ask for phone numbers. (sneaky like)

And hey, we run a free art school (another reason to come visit)

gidamom
10-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Ay Gabriela! I would loove a free art school! I could come visit and add yoga ;)

I actually got their phone numbers. They graciously offered them. I just wish the kids could spend some time with other kids that are experiencing the same circumstances.. Feels like common ground makes a good starting point for building bonds (sigh)

MarkInMD
10-07-2011, 12:30 PM
I love going deeper and not wider with science for Hurricane. He's so obviously going to be a scientist of some sort that it only makes sense to zero in on the subjects that will help him the most in what he's likely to want to pursue as a career. In his case, meteorology (naturally!), physics (we'll get there), chemistry, astronomy, things like that. Stuff like biology, while we'll study it, is one of those subjects we go over more quickly just to get what a PS kid would probably get. It's great not to have to spend endless time doing worksheets that he already knows all the answers to, because the class as a whole needs to catch up. And conversely, you can spend more time in those areas where they're the ones that need to catch up. Very liberating.

At any rate, glad you found some folks!

Stella M
10-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Don't worry, my dd14 won't have a bar of h/s art class either :) But you could ring those women and invite them to bring the kids to meet up somewhere - park etc ??